1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Was going to sell the G1 but

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ccunningham, Oct 19, 2010.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    then I took it out shooting over the weekend. Mainly because I would be outside, and I figured it might be nice to have something with a viewfinder. Plus I took along a tele-zoom, though I wasn't planning to use it, and it's easier for me to keep a tele-zoom reasonably stable at eye-level. I had forgotten that the G1 is STILL good. This is the full frame here, bit I also cropped down around the center, and the detail in the frog is great. (the crop is in my member gallery, but I didn't link it here)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Looking good!

Do you have more than one micro four thirds camera? I'm sorry, I can't remember.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010

I must confess, I have three. Three I say!
    I got lucky and got my E-P1 kit (new) for $440 on ebay.
    I bought a GF1 kit (on an Amazon sale) after I sold some DSLR gear that I didn't use much (or at all.)
    Then I got lucky and caught this G1 body (new again) for $200 on ebay. I used it a little here and there, but not that much. So I had decided I probably needed to sell it, but I've changed my mind now. Instead I'll just use it more than I had been.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

I'm laughing - true confessions! Good for you - if you use them and enjoy them, the more the merrier!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Isn't there a saying about being honest with yourself? I'm aware that I must deal with gear-buying issues, usually when the price is one of those "offers you can't refuse". Like a G1 new body for $200 on clearance. I should have bought two... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

As long as you don't exhibit hoarding in other areas, I think you're OK.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    And again, the G1 comes through.

G1 + 17mm + Drizzly weather(is there a better kind?:wink:)
    [​IMG]

8. JunT86

JunT86 New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2010
    Glasgow
    That's a really nice shot!! Very graphic looking!! Did you use the Oly 17mm pancake lens?

• Like Like x 2
  9. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Thanks!

Yes, indeed the Oly 17mm pancake. I like mine, although I wish when I bought it that it was available in black finish, just to help me FEEL like it's a little less on the bling and flash side. To be honest I didn't like the 17mm much at first, but I also didn't like the G1 much at first. But the 17mm is a nice lens, sort of like the G1 is a nice body. I'm not saying they can't be improved (I've got a list), but they're still good, for me at least.

P.S. I don't think about the details as much as I probably should, but just if anyone is interested, this was shot with a G1 and Olympus 17mm Digital Zuiko, in shutter priority mode as a vibrant(-1 sat, -1 sharp) color jpeg, then converted to b&w, and I adjusted with contrast and brightness some. AF was auto point selection, single af. Metering was set to evaluative.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    At the expense of time with the Oly or the GF1?

• Like Like x 1
  11. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Hey, I've got two hands, I can use two cameras at the same time. :wink:

But really, at the expense of my D300 mostly.

But then, that's what mFT generally has done, I find myself using it instead of my larger gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that my D300 is the "better" camera, and truth be told, if I could keep only one, it would probably be the D300 because of its versatility and performance and all the lenses I have accumulated (granted some of those lenses could be adapted to mFT.) It would be a difficult call though.

Having said all that, mFT gear has been plenty good enough for me much of the time, at least when I don't need the larger gear for some specific capacity it has.

A few examples, in my opinion where the D300 is "better": the D300 is weather resistant and tough(although the GF1 seems pretty tough, based on my accidental real-world test); it's faster (AF, Card Writes, frame rate, top shutter speed) when speed matters, it has better low-light performance, better flash metering, etc.

The thing is, unless I need these things for something specific, I find that mFT gear is much easier to pack around and plenty capable. I can keep a camera body with the 20mm or 17mm in my jacket pocket easily. So I'm way more likely to bring the camera with me, and I would say that I spend more time with the mFT equipment(carrying/shooting) etc. than the larger Nikon system just because of this.