Was going to sell the G1 but

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ccunningham, Oct 19, 2010.

1. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    then I took it out shooting over the weekend. Mainly because I would be outside, and I figured it might be nice to have something with a viewfinder. Plus I took along a tele-zoom, though I wasn't planning to use it, and it's easier for me to keep a tele-zoom reasonably stable at eye-level. I had forgotten that the G1 is STILL good. This is the full frame here, bit I also cropped down around the center, and the detail in the frog is great. (the crop is in my member gallery, but I didn't link it here)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Looking good!

Do you have more than one micro four thirds camera? I'm sorry, I can't remember.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010

I must confess, I have three. Three I say!
    I got lucky and got my E-P1 kit (new) for $440 on ebay.
    I bought a GF1 kit (on an Amazon sale) after I sold some DSLR gear that I didn't use much (or at all.)
    Then I got lucky and caught this G1 body (new again) for $200 on ebay. I used it a little here and there, but not that much. So I had decided I probably needed to sell it, but I've changed my mind now. Instead I'll just use it more than I had been.

• Like Like x 4
  4. BBW

I'm laughing - true confessions! Good for you - if you use them and enjoy them, the more the merrier!

• Like Like x 2
  5. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Isn't there a saying about being honest with yourself? I'm aware that I must deal with gear-buying issues, usually when the price is one of those "offers you can't refuse". Like a G1 new body for $200 on clearance. I should have bought two... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

As long as you don't exhibit hoarding in other areas, I think you're OK.:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    And again, the G1 comes through.

G1 + 17mm + Drizzly weather(is there a better kind?:wink:)
    [​IMG]

8. JunT86

JunT86 New to Mu-43

Sep 15, 2010
    Glasgow
    That's a really nice shot!! Very graphic looking!! Did you use the Oly 17mm pancake lens?

• Like Like x 4
  9. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Thanks!

Yes, indeed the Oly 17mm pancake. I like mine, although I wish when I bought it that it was available in black finish, just to help me FEEL like it's a little less on the bling and flash side. To be honest I didn't like the 17mm much at first, but I also didn't like the G1 much at first. But the 17mm is a nice lens, sort of like the G1 is a nice body. I'm not saying they can't be improved (I've got a list), but they're still good, for me at least.

P.S. I don't think about the details as much as I probably should, but just if anyone is interested, this was shot with a G1 and Olympus 17mm Digital Zuiko, in shutter priority mode as a vibrant(-1 sat, -1 sharp) color jpeg, then converted to b&w, and I adjusted with contrast and brightness some. AF was auto point selection, single af. Metering was set to evaluative.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    At the expense of time with the Oly or the GF1?

• Like Like x 2
  11. ccunningham

Jul 23, 2010
    Hey, I've got two hands, I can use two cameras at the same time. :wink:

But really, at the expense of my D300 mostly.

But then, that's what mFT generally has done, I find myself using it instead of my larger gear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that my D300 is the "better" camera, and truth be told, if I could keep only one, it would probably be the D300 because of its versatility and performance and all the lenses I have accumulated (granted some of those lenses could be adapted to mFT.) It would be a difficult call though.

Having said all that, mFT gear has been plenty good enough for me much of the time, at least when I don't need the larger gear for some specific capacity it has.

A few examples, in my opinion where the D300 is "better": the D300 is weather resistant and tough(although the GF1 seems pretty tough, based on my accidental real-world test); it's faster (AF, Card Writes, frame rate, top shutter speed) when speed matters, it has better low-light performance, better flash metering, etc.

The thing is, unless I need these things for something specific, I find that mFT gear is much easier to pack around and plenty capable. I can keep a camera body with the 20mm or 17mm in my jacket pocket easily. So I'm way more likely to bring the camera with me, and I would say that I spend more time with the mFT equipment(carrying/shooting) etc. than the larger Nikon system just because of this.