WARRANTY, FAULTS, ISSUES AND REPAIRS ?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Hi all
I am wondering whether a thread titled similarly to that above - Warranty, Faults, Issues and Repairs would be a good idea as a one stop shop for issues arising with regard to faults, repairs and Warranty considerations and Claims would be a good idea ?

There have been numerous threads with members (including myself) mentioning these - so perhaps a dedicated thread would provide a means to gather information which can be used by others and to highlight faults arising which members should look out for to prevent damage occurring (ie Olympus 100-400 screws loosening)

Could include known faults, developing regular model faults, repair costs, Warranty experiences and procedures with turnaround times; recommendations for known and recommended repairers etc etc

Perhaps members here could post a like to show support for the idea - in which case we could keep this thread going ?
If it gets a poor response I’ll ask for it to be deleted in due course
Might be good to be able to collate such info and experiences and may be of benefit ?

PS this is not intended to be used as a company bashing thread please but more as a source of information and reference !

Edit - perhaps a Forum entitled similarly would be a better idea so that seperate threads for individual models / faults / issues could be considered - this would be better perhaps 🤔 Mods ?

@Amin Sabet ?

Sounds like a good idea, as long as stays reasonably positive considering the subject.
It would help in tracking / trending problems with photographic equipment.

If the mods think it may degenerate, it could be made to not show in in new topics ?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
EM10 Mk4 WARRANTY RETURN
Recently purchased a brand new EM10 Mk4
Rear dial turned out to be faulty - did not register being rotated correctly - sometimes no response, sometimes reacted by setting going in opposite direction - sometimes very erratic random response
Similar to the problems many experienced with the EM1 Mk1

Sent to Olympus in the post for Warranty repair about a week and a half ago still in transit - still apparently somewhere in the U.K. not yet despatched to Portugal where it will be repaired
Brexit changes seem to have severely slowed transit for U.K. warranty repairs (having had a recent repair done on a 12-100 f4.0)
Will update when further progress is made

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
EM10 Mk4 WARRANTY RETURN
Recently purchased a brand new EM10 Mk4
Rear dial turned out to be faulty - did not register being rotated correctly - sometimes no response, sometimes reacted by setting going in opposite direction - sometimes very erratic random response
Similar to the problems many experienced with the EM1 Mk1

Sent to Olympus in the post for Warranty repair about a week and a half ago still in transit - still apparently somewhere in the U.K. not yet despatched to Portugal where it will be repaired
Brexit changes seem to have severely slowed transit for U.K. warranty repairs (having had a recent repair done on a 12-100 f4.0)
Will update when further progress is made
M.ZUIKO 14-42mm EZ REPAIR

Like you Rob, my problem seems to be Brexit related delays getting the item to Portugal.

My very old kit lens had the classic extend/retract/zoom motor failure and was unusable. Tracking currently shows:
  • 31st July: Posted
  • 1st August: Arrived at the Cyclon National distribution centre
  • 12th August: Hub receipt (???) triggered - Northampton, UK - Inbound (???)
Nothing since.

By 6th August I had gotten impatient with the lack of updates on the Cycleon tracking site and emailed OMDS customer support. On 7th August they replied:
…the final implementation of Brexit in UK, is leading to an extreme and unexpected situation, that we are working with our partners, but unfortunately, we are not able to impose any action from UK Government and Customs Processes/Guidelines.
All import into UK and export from UK, are facing severe delays due to the volumes at Customs from and into UK.
Independently of the forwarder being used, unfortunately the outcome is the same.
We are in close contact with the brokers working with our forwarders, and also trying to understand from UK side if any action can be taken to expedite the solution. We have, unfortunately, to ask for your patience and understanding, towards an issue we are not able to control from our side.
I am still waiting further update.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'm not entirely convinced that Brexit is the issue. The reason I say this is that I recently (July and August 21) twice purchased Fjallraven trousers from Sweden. On both occasions it was 4 days door to door including customs clearance (I could see on the DPD tracker that the packages were at customs).

Maybe receiving stuff into the UK from Sweden is more efficient? However, the response from OMDS above indicates that there is a problem with both import and export :hmmm:

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I’ve had several repair experiences in the past that have been very quick (total turnaround approx 1 week).

There are two possibilities in my mind, either:
  1. Brexit (know to be having some impacts throughout almost all sectors); or,
  2. Olympus—>OMDS (what has actually changed with the European repair set-up is, at this point, less clear).
Either way it’s frustrating for the customer.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Sent my 1,5-year-old E-M10II to Portugal due to shutter failure. The shutter mechanism got stuck and and when powering up the camera, it only showed a blank screen and couldn't take a picture. I think it was on the road for a little less than 3 weeks. Warranty covered everything. And they even obeyed my wishes NOT to reset the settings contrary to the claim that all settings will be lost when sending the camera for repairs. I taped a post-it note on the camera asking them to leave my firmware & settings alone. :)

Everything went smoothly but if I have to complain about something, it's that they sent an email after receiving the camera and said they'd inform me once the repair is done. I never got that message. The next message I got was the tracking code from the Finnish Postal service.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
All import into UK and export from UK, are facing severe delays due to the volumes at Customs from and into UK.

That simply isn't true. THEIR imports/exports of goods for repair and inbound repairs are taking longer than they would like. There are a number of potential reasons for this.

I am not experiencing issues moving goods from the UK to EU - so the blanket Brexit excuse is not the complete picture. I have to make the correct declarations to customs though. For sold goods, this is pretty extremely easy - just quote the HS code and value when booking the shipment and it clears customs quickly (sometimes instantly/electronically).

There is a potential for delays with Customs when moving valuable goods that haven't been sold, ie, are free of duty/VAT.

OMDS in the UK have to correctly declare the goods as exports, and have to provide more information when re-importing. This is a PITA for them compared to moving goods back and forth for repair pre-Brexit, but was entirely predictable when their UK repair facilities were closed.

The above does not explain why their shipments take so long to leave the UK. I think that there is a better than average chance that both sender and receiver are sitting on consignments to build up a reasonably sized shipment and doing one lot of declarations rather than sending items one at a time.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
As to EU shipping, seems every time I buy something and it has to come to the USA from EU it takes 4-6 weeks. Don't know why EU is so slow, but I've gotten stuff from Asia in a couple of days which often even beats the USA Ground deliveries.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Last thing I sent to the US by Airmail got to Chicago from the UK in one week, but then spent 12 days 'clearing customs', which, considering there was no duty to pay ($75 item), was rather a long time.

If someone's in a real hurry, I use FedEx express which is usually next day! It's not cheap though.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
M.ZUIKO 14-42mm EZ REPAIR

Like you Rob, my problem seems to be Brexit related delays getting the item to Portugal.

My very old kit lens had the classic extend/retract/zoom motor failure and was unusable. Tracking currently shows:
  • 31st July: Posted
  • 1st August: Arrived at the Cyclon National distribution centre
  • 12th August: Hub receipt (???) triggered - Northampton, UK - Inbound (???)
Nothing since.

By 6th August I had gotten impatient with the lack of updates on the Cycleon tracking site and emailed OMDS customer support. On 7th August they replied:

I am still waiting further update.
I just received (20th August) an email from OMDS informing me that the lens has arrived with them. Interestingly the Cycleon tracking site still shows the same as before, suggesting the lens is still in the UK.

In my case I’m not too concerned as the cost of the repair is almost as much as a new lens so I’ve taken the option of a discount voucher for a future purchase instead.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I just received (20th August) an email from OMDS informing me that the lens has arrived with them. Interestingly the Cycleon tracking site still shows the same as before, suggesting the lens is still in the UK.

In my case I’m not too concerned as the cost of the repair is almost as much as a new lens so I’ve taken the option of a discount voucher for a future purchase instead.
Hi Simon,
could you please clarify that last sentence for me, as I'm not sure if you are claiming repair under warranty or not, and why you were offered a discount voucher.
My 14-42 EZ has been a bit "sluggish" lately, in opening and closing and I'm just about within the extended warranty period.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
This is an out of warranty repair.

When initiating the repair through MyOlympus, it was set out that I’d have 2 options:
  1. Repair at a fixed cost, which is more than the cost of a good second hand copy and approaching the cost of a new copy; or,
  2. A discount voucher to make an ‘upgrade’.
I’m going to take option 2 in this case.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
Message sent to OMD Solutions Support today due to no apparent progress or updates for several weeks
Matters now complicated by their having changed the support section website
I suggest anyone submitting an item for Warranty or repair from the U.K. be prepared for a long wait with little clue as to what is happening during the process
This is my second similar recent experience having previously sent a 12-100 PRO with similar delays and lack of updates (and missing original packing on its return)

“I sent my EM10 Mk4 for repair several weeks ago serial .....
Tracking number .....
The repair has not been updated the last report stating that the camera was still in a local (U.K.) warehouse and had not progressed to the repair centre
I am very disappointed in the progress of this repair especially as the camera was brand new
Further to this I can no longer track the progress of the repair as the option to check on an existing repair process has been removed from your website
Previously I could go to the request a repair section in support and there were options to check on an existing repair.
This is no longer the case as there are now no options other than raising a completely new repair
Very frustrating and this repair is now about 5 weeks old with no recent updates or apparent progress”

23DD891C-5680-4542-BCA7-E34A3D0E3F67.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter
Bought a reconditioned EM1X that start acting up during the first thorough test. Would fire off a burst of shots upon switching on (without touching the shutter release) and the bird subject AF would go into a funk and put the focus spot in the corner of the screen. Didn't always do that, but often enough to make it unreliable. Sent it in to OMDS service and they sent back a different EM1X, saying that they were replacing it. It was an older build (earlier S/N), but it works fine. Took almost two weeks for mailing and return (to Hawaii). As a Pro Advantage member, they were supposed to express it back to me, but they didn't. Might not have made that clear when I sent it in. No charge for "repair" or shipping. Good enough.

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
EM10 Mk4 received back a few days ago without further update on the website
All in order and in good condition, cleaned and firmware updated
No issues
Had sent in plain box without ancillaries (no battery, removed hotshot cover - plain body only) in order to avoid missing packing experienced last time with 12-100 f4.0

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom