WARNING! Shamazon 256GB SD cards under $30 are a FRAUD!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bytesmiths, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

My bad; I didn't read the reviews until after I bought a so-called "256GB Class 10" SD card for $13.99.

I tried copying 32GB to the card. It never completed. I let it run overnight! I tried re-formating the card. It refused, and hung Apple Disk Utility. My brand new Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II refuses to even recognize the card, claiming "CARD ERROR."

THEN I read the reviews -- tens of "one star" reviews, saying the same thing I experienced.

But then, adding insult to injury, Amazon refused to post my negative review, saying it violated their "guidelines." I read their guidelines carefully, and saw nothing that was violated.

Part of this refusal is that I have been banned from re-reviewing the same product. Luckily, Shamazon can't ban me from warning y'all!

(Further insult to injury, a reply to the email I got from Shamazon, rejecting my review, came back as undelivered. They are not only blind to their customers, they are deaf, too!)

Beware: Shamazon values its relationship with shady Chinese fraudsters more than it values its customers. I will never buy from Shamazon again!

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Sad Sad x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    And the lesson to be learned here: Always read at least the 1 star reviews. Btw, is there a reason you can not just return the card?

• Like Like x 1
  3. "WARNING! Shamazon 256GB SD cards under $30 are a FRAUD!" :rofl:

What gave it away...?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

We shall see.

From the comments posted, it appears that they will issue a shipping label for standard postage, but won't refund your money unless you pay extra for "tracked shipping," which costs nearly as much as the card. In which case, they're going to get a nastygram from my credit card issuer.

I think they're counting on people saying, "Well, forget it, then!" There exists an amount by which you can scam people for which they aren't going to bother causing you trouble. So far, I've only got $13.99 into this.

Remember, if it seems "too good to be true," it probably is. :-(Now if I can just take my own advice...)

5. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

This site needs an emoticon that conveys "embarrassed that I was such a sucker..." :)

Seriously, I thought Shamazon could be trusted to handle quality merchandise. The negative reviews go back over six months! (And the positive reviews look "shillish," with lots of misspelled words and "Chinglish" grammar.) Why haven't they acted against this supplier by now?

The truth is, you're no better on Shamazon than you are on evilBay. Caveat emptor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I don't know Jan, I can't believe somebody would actually purchase something without reading reviews about it (especially on Amazon, where the reviews are literally a few scrolls away at the bottom of the page). Amazon does a fairly good job of managing their marketplace to prevent scammers like this, but with a marketplace as large as Amazon's, they can't catch anyone.

Sadly, I'd put the onus on you as the buyer to do your research before purchasing. Also, if other 256GB cards were selling for much more money, didn't you think that one selling for far less was a bit fishy?

Either way, I would write Amazon directly to notify them that this is a fraudulent product. They may be able to refund your money without having to ship the item back since its fraudulent, plus they could remove them from the marketplace so no other buyer makes the same mistake you did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

You are right, of course.

I was on Amazon specifically for something else, and this caught my eye. It was an "impulse buy." (You've never done that before, have you?)

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    I think this is just silly. First point, who would buy anything on-line without checking feedback. Then again, who'd expect to buy a 256GB Class 10 SD card for $13.99? Third point, I've never had a problem returning stuff via Amazon - just go to returns and print the label. It's a non-story.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  9. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Well, call me "silly," then. I'm certain you have never done anything similar.

Thank you for your support.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Threads like this make me :rofl:

Seriously......to even think you could get a card of that size and speed for $13.99. Honestly, you got exactly what I would have expected.

Why the title saying under $30? When I read that I think of a price between 25 and 30..........not $13.99. More appropriate title would have been under $15.

It really amazes me that people actually fall for this stuff. I guess because they are so prevalent enough people do to make it worth their time and effort to run them. Starting to think I'm in the wrong business.

11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    To be quite honest, no.

12. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

They've raised the price. Guess they weren't finding enough suckers at $13.99.

I've never bought SD cards before. I thought maybe it would be slower, but would still be useful for backup. I never imagined that Amazon would allow something to be sold under their name that would not even copy 1/8th of its advertised capacity.

It really amazes me that people think everyone knows what they know. I guess you were never "starting out" at anything before... just arrived on the scene knowing everything about everything, right?

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Oh no, I've definitely impulse bought on Amazon before. However, I always will read through the reviews before actually purchasing. It only takes a couple minutes, and has the potential to save me a lot of time and headache down the road.

What's done is done, and you can just chalk this up as a learning experience. I still would recommend contacting Amazon directly, and notify them that this product was fraudulent, as it was advertised as something it clearly is not, and that you want a refund without paying to return the fraudulent item. The worst they can say is "no", in which case you're right back where you are now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    You can always count on a couple of forum members to kick a guy while he's down. They's claim they are just "telling it like it is", but the truth is they like to be cruel.

On Amazon I'm always cautious about items not sold by amazon and especially not fulfilled by Amazon. Also, I never touch a seller with under 97% rating (and even that makes me nervous) and a few thousand seller reviews.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

I wrote a review, saying the product was "fraudulent." They rejected it, based on their guidelines.

Well, I will surely burn at least $13.99 worth of Amazon employees' salary before this is over! :)

Yea, learning experience. Humble pie, and all that. What mystifies me is that so many people here seem to think it is "silly" to warn others.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

This was news to me. I thought Amazon was an Internet front for what was essentially a brick-n-mortar store. Yea, I know about "just in time" order fulfillment and all that, but I hadn't realized that Amazon had become little more than a shill for a bunch of outsiders.

At least on evilBay, there's no pretense; you know that they are just a broker. Now, I will treat Amazon with the same caution I use for people peddling "like new" lenses (with only a few feedback points) on evilBay.

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Just check what the item says. If it says "Sold & shipped by Amazon" or "Sold by xxxxx & fulfilled by Amazon", then you know you're in the clear. Those are typically the only purchases I make on Amazon. If it's something else, I will go to eBay because they bend over backwards to protect the buyers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

They're the same ones who haven't read their cell phone contract that clearly says, "customer agrees to hold cell phone no closer than 5mm from their body during use†," and then whine and moan when they get brain cancer.

The world is a dangerous place. We need to take care of each other.

†No cell phone passes government radiation guidelines when held closer than 5mm.

19. Bytesmiths

Bytesmiths Mu-43 Veteran

Anyway, thanks for all the bouquets and brickbats. I'm outta here, having done my bit to warn those equally naive.

20. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    You want to get directly to customer service. A review that is possibly just checked by a bot or someone who just checks that reviews abide to their rules will not do anything except warn other people. If you want your money back, you need to contact customer service or even their fraud department.