• Please note: A site subscription is required to start a new listing in our Buy & Sell forum. There is an option to subscribe for a month for $5 if you would like to sell something without a longer subscription.

All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Mu-43.com and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms

Warning: Scammer in Buy & Sell

Buy/Sell feedback for Amin Sabet (18)

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm certainly not against two factor authentication and changing to more complex unique passwords, but the biggest issues with most scams is using PayPal Gift for payments. @Amin Sabet why not make that a black and white rule? If an ad is posted specifying 'Gift' just delete it? It is not a panacea - scammers could still insist on Gift via PM - but it would be a step in the right direction, and it would also more clearly signal to everyone that Gift option is a bad idea.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Is it not possible to enforce two-factor authentication in order to start a new thread in buy/sell?

Cederic

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is it not possible to enforce two-factor authentication in order to start a new thread in buy/sell?
I seek to limit the number of 2FA accounts I create, and would stop using a site that demanded it for merely discussing a hobby.

You've proposed an interesting compromise position that I can however support. I just won't try and sell anything (but I haven't anyway).

I'm certainly not against two factor authentication and changing to more complex unique passwords, but the biggest issues with most scams is using PayPal Gift for payments. @Amin Sabet why not make that a black and white rule? If an ad is posted specifying 'Gift' just delete it? It is not a panacea - scammers could still insist on Gift via PM - but it would be a step in the right direction, and it would also more clearly signal to everyone that Gift option is a bad idea.

Unfortunately with the last one, the guy didn't mention gift via paypal until the PM stage :(

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Unfortunately with the last one, the guy didn't mention gift via paypal until the PM stage :(
Yep. I’m aware of that. But I think if the clear rule here is “no Gift payments” maybe that helps people avoid the mistake?

I don’t see any reason to be wishy-washy about it. Fear of offending non-scammers who use Gift?

Yep. I’m aware of that. But I think if the clear rule here is “no Gift payments” maybe that helps people avoid the mistake?

I don’t see any reason to be wishy-washy about it. Fear of offending non-scammers who use Gift?

I very much agree with this. I do a lot of online buying and selling and I believe mu43 is the only place that has the option to request payment via gift. I actually thought it was pretty odd when I first listed here!

I would hope this would make it seem more of a "taboo" topic to request payment as a gift and would hopefully throw a red flag if someone does request it via pm.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I believe mu43 is the only place that has the option to request payment via gift.
This site only provides a forum for users to list items for private sale between parties. How the two parties make the payment happen is between them, so this site doesn't give the "option" to use one thing or the other, it simply has no control over that. So at best this site can only make recommendations for how to make payments or not make payments. No payments go through this site.

I think the "gift" option is still viable for people who know each other and can somehow confirm that they are still the actual people and not someone else on a taken over account. But yes, for people who do not know each other or the exchange seems "odd" compared to past dealings with each other the 3% or whatever it is surcharge might be worth the insurance.

If you are a seller there is something to be said for the old fashioned United States Post Office money order to protect the seller from a buyer paying with bogus funds then disappearing when the payment is cancelled or doesn't clear. As a buyer, you have to depend on things like Paypal's buyer protection but even then I am not always sold on Paypal's buyer protection for private sales especially if all the rules are not followed. For example, I wonder how many times people here buy/sell items for over $750 and the item is not shipped with signature confirmation of delivery without which you are probably out of luck with Paypal.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Is there any option to have "trusted" machines rather than, or in addition to, 2FA? A lot of financial institutions offer this as an alternative, and it is very convenient if you use the same computer. I check in here several times during the day when I have a free moment and need to get my mind off of work, and 2FA for that kind of frequency is not ideal.

--Ken

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is there any option to have "trusted" machines rather than, or in addition to, 2FA? A lot of financial institutions offer this as an alternative, and it is very convenient if you use the same computer. I check in here several times during the day when I have a free moment and need to get my mind off of work, and 2FA for that kind of frequency is not ideal.

--Ken
You can select “Trust this machine for 30 days” at 2FA login.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for the warning. Changed to 2 step authentication. I'd prefer to use 2 step for everything interwebz related. Pretty quick & easy to use, The only issue I can see is the very rare occasion I might be overseas where my mobile isn't connected or doesn't work. But the emergency codes solve that, so no problemo.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I think this needs to be tackled from several directions rather than one.

It's challenging because the site does not directly provide the payment facilities so cannot directly regulate.

Things that could be done.

2FA mandatory to post on buy and sell - and for it to have been in place for over 30 days.

Inability to post on buy and sell for 30 days following change of email address, or, an email address change requires pre authorisation via the existing email account.

All new buy and sell threads are moderated prior to publication and recent account activity reviewed.

Once an advert is approved, insertion of a simple but emboldened post immediately below, spelling out in plain English the dangers of F&F or Western Union etc. ie, this type of service is akin to handing cash to a complete stranger and asking if they wouldn't mind sending you something through the postal system in the future. I would go a step further and state that members are not permitted to ask for payment other than type A/B/C etc.

@PakkyT raises an important issue about Paypal limits. That particular example is more of a 'seller' issue rather than a buyer issue, but Paypal does indeed limit their liability in their endless terms and conditions. It is also still worthwhile making sure you are sending money to a verified Paypal account holder.

Last edited:
I think this needs to be tackled from several directions rather than one.

It's challenging because the site does not directly provide the payment facilities so cannot directly regulate.

Things that could be done.

2FA mandatory to post on buy and sell - and for it to have been in place for over 30 days.

@PakkyT raises an important issue about Paypal limits. That particular example is more of a 'seller' issue rather than a buyer issue, but Paypal does indeed limit their liability in their endless terms and conditions. It is also still worthwhile making sure you are sending money to a verified Paypal account holder.

Great suggestions. A bit of a hassle, but some online buy/sell areas require a "timestamp". The person posts a handwritten note with their username and the date next to the item so it can be validated they at least have that item in their possession. Again, not 100% foolproof, but more hurdles for a butthead to get through.

This site only provides a forum for users to list items for private sale between parties. How the two parties make the payment happen is between them, so this site doesn't give the "option" to use one thing or the other, it simply has no control over that. So at best this site can only make recommendations for how to make payments or not make payments. No payments go through this site.

I was referencing the listing section which allows various payments accepted. Although I now see the only was to request without protection is via bank transfer. I would sill suggest removing these. People can still work out payment via gift, but as we saw with the last round even though a listing may be posted by PakkyT, the person posting the listing may not be PakkyT.

1626724410796.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Seems like an awful lot of trouble to protect us from ourselves. Do we really need rules as to the kind of payment one uses? The warnings are out there, not only here but other places including PayPal. Keeping people informed strikes me as the best way to go. If someone is concerned about the transaction, just don't do it.

I log in from home and work, and won't be doing any dual authentication log ins.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
I listed a WTB here and was messaged by a member (I'll withhold their name for the time being) who just joined mu-43 today, telling me a member named "kingranch" wanted to sell the camera I was looking for and gave me a phone number to call. There is no member named "kingranch" here.

Anyone else being approached with this story?

Last edited:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I listed a WTB here and was messaged by a member (I'll withhold their name for the time being) who just joined mu-43 today, telling me a member named "kingranch" wanted to sell the camera I was looking for and gave me a phone number to call. There is no member named "kingranch" here.

Anyone else being approached with this story?
If you google the number you'll find a similar post on a forum called marshallforum (marshall amps user group I'm guessing). The post says he actually tried texting and call but got nothing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say scam.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you google the number you'll find a similar post on a forum called marshallforum (marshall amps user group I'm guessing). The post says he actually tried texting and call but got nothing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say scam.

That's a very, very solid limb imo. WTB ads are basically an invitation for scammers.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom