[Warning - Potentially Upsetting] World Trade Center - previously unreleased photos

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
WTC - previously unreleased photos

Edmonton Sun

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/world/2010/02/10/12825921.html

dynamic_resize
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

dynamic_resize

[Edit: Thread title warning added. -Amin]

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Don, I am so sorry to read what you've just posted. You have my deepest sympathies.

Living where my family lives, just outside of the city there were way too many people from our town who also perished there and from towns around us.

I don't think any civilized human being can look at photographs from that day without stopping in their tracks. I will say that one of the most moving photography exhibits I have ever been to was one that was done in NYC not too long afterwards that was devoted to the fireman who worked there that day... They were larger than life sized images and it was something else. Something I shall never forget. If I can I will try to find a link... I feel as though it was sponsored by Kodak, but could be wrong.

I was wrong, it was Polaroid and the exhibit was called "Faces of Ground Zero - Portraits of the Heroes of Septemeber 11th" by Joe McNally. Here is a link: http://portfolio.joemcnally.com/index.php#s=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=0&a=0&at=0 Though looking at these photographs in their original sizes, in a real life setting is where they truly should be seen.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Maybe i should not have posted them - I am sorry if the images have upset anyone
I was at home that day and watched events unfold on the TV - I then called a couple of my friends in NYC to to check that they were OK

We then visited NY a couple of years later and saw what had happened

If this thread causes any upset, again I am very sorry, and please ask Amin to remove it - if this is the case

Bullfrog

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We must look.

"I would suggest that it is a good in itself to acknowledge, to have enlarged, one's sense of how much suffering there is in the world we share with others. I would insist that anyone who is perennially surprised that depravity exists, who continues to experience disillusionment (even incredulity) when confronted with evidence of what humans are capable of inflicting in the way of gruesome, hands-on cruelties upon other humans has not reached moral or psychological adulthood.

No one after a certain age has the right to this kind of innocence, of superficiality, to this degree of ignorance, of amnesia.

We now have a vast repository of images that make it harder to preserve such moral defectiveness. Let the atrocious images haunt us. Even if they are only tokens and cannot encompass all the reality of a people's agony, they still serve an immensely positive function. The image says: keep these events in your memory."

-Susan Sontag, from the essay 'Witnessing' in the
introduction to "Don McCullin"

Latest threads

Top Bottom