Warning ! Not a photo of a camera.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ripleys baby, May 4, 2012.

1. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Taken earlier this year on a 4/3 camera. And edited how i like it.
    C&C very welcome indeed.
    _1000545 by Buster & Taz, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 15
  2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Gloomy. Kinda cool.

Is this what it really looked like to the naked eye?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    No, in fact it was pretty flat. The light looked contrasty enough at the time and i bracketed it to bits, but it needed a bit of a kick up the backside so this is the result of the best single raw exposure put through Photomatix.
    The view was changing by the second.
    A little smartphone timelapse here - https://vimeo.com/38242983
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Initially, I didn't like it ... too muddy. Then I spotted the bridge and looked harder and longer ... the longer I looked the more I like ... still, I'd put just a smidgen more highlights/contrast in the tops of those mountains and maybe in selective areas of the clouds.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Very Nice

I like it a lot. It doesn't look overprocessed. Very dramatic. I've seen storms come up in the Rockies that look very much like this. Where was it taken?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    Top of Glencoe Scotland. From the Kings House Hotel.
  7. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I love it. Nice dramatic tone.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    If anyone wants a crack at the raw file , please pm your mail address.
    I'm not that great at editing, prefering to use presets:redface:
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I also think I'd like a bit more highlights on the mountains and in the clouds, but it is still an interesting and dramatic shot. I suspect it looks clearer in larger sizes - I'm looking at it on a tablet. I'd like to see something like 16x20 for example. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Love it. Just enough highlighted details to feed the eyes and make for a very intriguing and catchy composition.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Why are you posting this in the OM-D forum? You haven't even discussed how you're just making do with the G3 until the UPS guy shows up with your OM-D, or how much better the OM-D's 5-axis IBIS would make this image. :tongue:

I agree with Gary that on first glance the image is kinda flat, but further examination reveals more interesting details. I think I would've tried to crop out some of the right side of the frame, but overall you've done a nice job of creating a usable image out of a difficult lighting situation. This would have been a good candidate for an HDR treatment.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. michaelfinch

michaelfinch Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2010
    Lancashire, England
    Nice one. Many years since I was up there (on top, that is) and it's good to see a pic that puts the Buachaille in a different perspective rather than the overdone view up the burn. The only snaps I have are on BW film and the 'view' extends all of 50 yards! The gleaming bridge gives yours a nice lift.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011
    LOL. But it is an HDR. :biggrin:
  14. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    IMO, the brightness in the bottom left detracts my eyes too much as I keep wanting to look in that direction, but theres really not a point of focus there, just dark trees.

I really like the composition of the river, how it takes me to the little bridge and then the mountain. If I were to edit the highlights I would have used the river to guide the viewers eye towards the bridge and then the mountain.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be interested the original, why not just post it.

I like the shot overall, especially after watching the iphone vid, you had your own idea of what you saw and that's cool. A couple of things I would have done for my own taste would have been to use a ND to slow the shutter for the water. Not sure what your DoF is, but if it could have been increased that would be another nice touch. I'd also try ColorFX, or any program that has those handy bi-color filters, before photomatix. You would get an even blend from top to bottom rather than the sharp jump of the forground grass to the mountain.
  16. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I think it's got a lot of potential. I'm OK with the gloomy processing, but I don't like where you've chosen to highlight. The bright spot in the photo is the most uninteresting point of the entire composition, and because of the lighting processing you've done, it draws my eye right there. I think that having the gloom lead your eye to a bright part of the river would make for a photo with much more impact. The image is very well composed, but the light just highlights the wrong thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    First off, I like it a lot and I'm not sure that it suffers any problem that overshadows its dramatic 'feel.'

If I were processing it I would have cranked up the mid tones a little to give those clouds a little more definition. I love the clouds and would certainly like to see more detail in them. This is certainly a shot I would attempt because I love the challenge and natural mood of it all.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Any chance of posting the unretouched version?
  19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like it.....I still think it could benefit from the lightening in areas. I'll pm you my email....I have a little time to play today at work today.
  20. ripleys baby

Aug 10, 2011

On it's way mate :smile: