1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Warning - Imac 5k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tkbslc, Mar 3, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is just a friendly warning about the iMac 5k. Seriously, if you see one on display at the shop or at a friends, just look away. Don't even glance at the screen. And whatever you do, don't pull up a gallery of your own photos and see how gorgeous and sharp they look.

IT'S A TRAP!!

Seriously, I've been back to the store 3x to try to convince myself it's not really as awesome as it was, and every time I am blown away again. The pics just look so sharp and lifelike. I've never seen my own pics from my own camera look so good. It's more of an "image quality" upgrade than I would ever expect going to a larger sensor with my camera.

I'm more of a PC guy and my current computer is about at iMac level in terms of performance. And I hate that you can't just swap drives, etc. So why can't I stop thinking about buying one? :shakehead:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
  4. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

5. I find that still images tend to look oversharpened when viewed on a 4K television. Is the effect somehow lessened on a smaller screen?

6. tkbslc

The closest analog to the Imac 5k monitor is a Dell 5K that sells for $1500 alone. That makes the iMac a pretty good deal given that you can get a computer built into that monitor for $300 more.

I'd like to look at some 27" 4k monitors to see if they can hold a candle to the iMac, but it's hard to find any on display. Those would be in the $600-ish range.

How much gear do you think I have? :laugh1:

Honestly, the only reason you spend that Eizo money is if you are working on projects where 99.5% color accuracy isn't enough. That certainly doesn't describe me!

7. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    That may be because of the sharpness settings of the TV, which is usually way too much at "normal" settings and shows lots of artifacts.
    On my TVs, from several brands (Philips, Samsung) I can only tolerate sharpness at the minimum setting, which is 0, or near it (position 1 in a scale of 0 to 10).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I agree, all kidding aside. People talk that way about the Panasonic LX100 - it's a very good lens at a reasonable price, plus you get a camera built-in to the lens.

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I bought myself more time with my current Mac Mini setup by upgrading to a 34" Dell Ultrawide monitor. The Mac Mini can't drive anywhere near the same resolution as the new iMac, but it's an upgrade that nevertheless has nixed the upgrade bug for me- for the time being!

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Happy 5K iMac owner here! Never going back.

11. tkbslc

Okay, seriously now, are there any 4K monitors that might give me a similar experience to the 5K imac? Preferably around 27"

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have not avoided looking at the 5K iMac, but have avoided being fatally bitten by the bug. Have an older iMac that may be replaced by one when it dies. One thing that convinced me that getting a Retina iMac will be worth it is when I noticed that my photos actually looked better on my Retina iPad mini than on my old iMac. Seriously. The pixel density on the iPad mini is higher. Hmm... better start collecting my pennies. :)

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser

No.

14. tkbslc

:crying:

15. soundsun

soundsun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Phil
    Me too! I went from a 13" Macbook Air to the 5k. The only downside is now I can't really crop/zoom in on a 16mp photo; they already display at near full resolution on the 5k. (It's really not a problem :)).

16. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Long time windows guy, recent purchaser of iMac 5K 27 inch + MacBook Air.

For what I do, store all picture and video files externally, and only use the computer to process, Mac is very clunky and less time efficient. And also requires additional clicks and maneuvering.

I don't want to turn this into Mac vs. Windows. 5K monitor is ok. But my $300 Asus monitor is just as nice...and my Dell desktop with 16GB RAM with icore 7 screams past my 24 GB RAM iMac.

Should've bought lenses instead.

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Where I live the price of Apple products is just for the rich.

If the monitor is important to you, get a computer with a separate monitor. You can then upgrade or swap around each part independently.

Sent from my D5803 using Mu-43 mobile app

18. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a Dell desktop, Icore 7, 16GB ram that went from being a POS to being a giant POS with the Windows 10 downgrade.

I use a iMac 5K for a digital imaging class that I'm taking. Photos are much better on the iMac, but I'd rather have the 300 f/4.0 first.

At work I have 2 computers, both XP. The good one has a 20" bargain basement monitor and it's painful to look at photos on it. The bad one is an old converted Etch A Sketch I think.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    XP...yikes.

Win 10 is pretty great. However upgrades on top of win 7 or 8 installs were a mixed bag. Look at a clean install...Microsoft will recognize your PC and re-activate fine. Appearance is more a function of the monitor. Win 10 optimizes for 4K very well.a $600 4K monitor like the Benq 32 4K will rival that iMac in image quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I have an i5 Desktop with 16Gb that works like a dream for under 400 Euros. I didn't even bother with a graphics card, as I found the on board graphics was more than good enough for any photography tasks. Keeping the heat and price down.
    You don't need to spend a lot to get a great set up. But you might want to dump Windows 10 if it's causing you problems. I use Kubuntu. Spend wisely, and you can afford that 300 f/4. Photos will not be any better on an iMac.