1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

warming up to GH3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kevwilfoto, Nov 17, 2012.

1. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I've been a bit negative, if not absolutely nasty, about the large size and high price of the GH3. Compared to some smaller DSLRs, the comparison really is shocking. :eek:

But I'm warming up to this monster. I've thought of maybe getting an E-PM2, E-PL5 or G5 as a backup in case something weird happens with my OM-D, but I'm finding the features of the GH3 very compelling. :thumbup:

• OLED screen and EVF
    • 3 custom settings accessible by dial
    • 5+ customizable function buttons
    • large comfortable grip
    • 3D / multi-process noise reduction
    • Interval timer built in
    • Articulating screen
    • rugged build
    • very nice control layout

You know that big kerfuffle about the iPad Mini not having a Retina Display? That's me and OLED screens. Anything less is unacceptable. I'm spoiled by OLED. The sensor in the E-PM2/E-PL5 is compelling, as is the grip & articulating screen of the G5, but the lack of OLED screen really makes a difference for me. I know I shouldn't judge an image by the screen, but I end up shooting with the screen (rather than the EVF) 90% of the time. When what I'm seeing is uninspiring, I really don't enjoy shooting - it's that simple. The OLED display on the OM-D (and sensor to match) has been a thrill and has transformed how I experience photography.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm just struggling with the price. $1,000 body only was already a lot, now they want $1,300 for one? It's a good camera, I don't doubt that, but ouch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Absolutely! It's crazy. So are the new zooms. Panasonic is frustrating me beyond belief. But the quality is there, and it beckons me. ;-)

This is what makes :43: such a wonderful system & community. Healthy & cooperative competition among vendors making better and better gear. Nothing like the Apple vs. Android or Canon vs. Nikon wars, thankfully.

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Of course, the OM-D also costs $1300 if you want the large grip....

And a big part of what makes things like:

• 3 custom settings accessible by dial
    • 5+ customizable function buttons
    • large comfortable grip
    • very nice control layout

possible is the larger body. You couldn't fit all those controls on something the size of an OM-D, or even a GH2.

I'm also liking things like the built-in intervalometer and the WiFi connectivity to my Android phone and tablet.

5. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    I too am warming up to it, but not pre-order warm. Maybe something like later into spring. The size I like. To me its a plus not a minus. I do think the size was required, to accommodate all the buttons and controls the camera now offers. It's that $1300 that is holding me back. I don't think it will hold up for a price that long. There have been sales on the 12-35 already a few times where it has been in the $1000 range. That's the price point I think it belongs at and one I think we can see, if we wait a bit.

6. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I don't think many of us expected the GH3 to be a hit on this forum anyway. Its geared more toward video enthusiasts and pros rather than focusing on stills. Videographers have much more anticipation for this camera, and you dont hear many complaining about the price.

7. I'm cool with the size of the GH3 if it means a more comprehensive and well-spaced control layout and a more comfortable grip for larger hands. I'm not cool with whatever it has or does that makes it cost $300 more than an E-M5, particularly if it's mostly due to video related features that I won't use. I don't think that it is overpriced, just that it is priced beyond what I would be prepared to spend.

8. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    Mike
    I definitely want one, but having an EM5 and a new EPL5, I plan to wait until spring to start getting serious. Until then I'll be absorbing the evaluations by early adopters.

Three :43: cameras on a photowalk? Ha! No changing lenses for me! :rofl:

Hey, I like my toys....:wink:

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm not sure exactly what's under the hood of the EM5, but I get the impression that the GH3 is loaded with much more computing hardware and a more complex chassis to cool that hardware. All needed to drive the requirements for the level of video they're outputting on that camera while staying stable and within specs.

That said, I'm beginning to notice that Olympus but especially Panasonic have a habit of massively overpricing things at introduction and letting things slide pretty quickly. Take the P12-35; list is $1,300 but we're already seeing it for $1,050 brand new from time to time. Olympus is of course subject to the Cameta effect, although the various rebates on early EM5 purchases did offset that.

10. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I know what you mean about the OLED screen; it was a major factor when I got my ep3.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why not get a 2nd OM-D? Used prices are dropping and it's better to have two compatible bodies if you're going big (body-wise).

12. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Looked at your photos on Flickr, very, very nice.

Beautiful series, thanks for sharing.

Brian

13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The only downside with the OLED rear displays is that they don't seem to handle shooting outdoors in daylight as well (going off NEX-7 and OM-D here). I wonder if this is why Olympus went with standard LCDs, along with cost, figuring that most PEN shooters would be using without a viewfinder and appreciate a better sunlight experience?

14. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    My brother just picked up the 12-35 from Amazon Japan (he lives in Tokyo) for about US$850 so definitely prices are coming down...

15. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Just because theres a price drop doesnt mean it was overpriced, if there was a big enough market of people wanting premium lenses (Canikon) prices probably would have stayed more or less the same. I for one appreciate Panasonic for making these lenses to fill empty gaps in our system, seems like they are much more aggressive in terms of the kind of lenses theyre releasing compared to Olympus.

16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    This isn't "price gouging" and isn't unique to either company. In fact, it's pretty standard technology pricing, whether you're talking cameras, phones, PCs, tablets (except maybe Apple), TVs, and more.

New devices come out at high prices for several reasons, not the least of which is that early adopters are willing to pay more. Early production often costs more; production lines operate more slowly initially, and R&D costs need to be amortized.

Look at the history of flat panel TV prices, then 3D TV prices. The Samsung Galaxy S3 was $200 on contract when it came out. Now it's widely available at $149, and I've seen ads recently for the same phone for $99.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Please don't put words in my mouth. I never mentioned gouging. But the simple fact is that Panasonic prices crash almost immediately, often. I don't believe this is unique to them, but a three month wait can mean hundreds saved. I do think that is more extreme than usual.

Pricing is a tricky thing. Thom sums it up better than I can, as usual:
    http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the-jc-penney-problem-only.html

• Like Like x 1
  18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I'm not sure this is true of any Panasonic photographic equipment. Case in point, price for the GH2 hasn't drop that significantly even after two years. Prices for most higher end lenses (25mm Leica, 20mm pancake, 45mm macro, etc) hasn't drop significantly either.

19. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    As of yesterday, the GH2 is offered with a massive discount :smile:. But you're right, the picture is mixed. Most lenses keep their prices pretty well. A notable exception is the Panny 12-35mm which has fallen about 15 % in price already here in The Netherlands; it started with € 1099 and has been offered recently for € 949.

As promit said, Thom Hogan explains this clearly in his usual entertaining writing style. I for one am not ready yet to jump ship and get a GH3 soon. I'm thinking to replace the GH2 by the G5 for its electronic shutter and by the time I'll really want that, it is spring time and the G5 will not cost € 599 but probably € 449, because the G6 has been announced (or whatever rumour is buzzing around by then).

• Like Like x 1
  20. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I certainly agree you can often save money by not being an early adopter. I almost always wait a while before buying something new, not only for that reason, but to let early adopters find out how well it actually works.

The GH2 is now more than 2 years old, and the GH3 is about to be released. Even Apple drops prices in similar situations. The GH2 held it's value for quite a while, and discounting didn't really start until it was nearly 2 years old.

I still think that "overpricing" isn't a fair statement (and that term, to me, certainly implies gouging). No more so than saying Apple is overpricing the iPad mini. There are millions of people who seem to think the iPad mini is priced fairly, and voting with their credit cards. And there were many people more than happy to pay the asking price for the 12-35 when it was released.