War on Pictures at DPR

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Seems over on the m43 Forum at DPR, there are lots of members who do not like looking at photographs.

Cannot quite get why seeing more than 10 pictures in a thread gets some people so upset. Or perhaps I do, It is difficult to post more than one picture of a brick wall lens test.

This guy got clobbered too. Just to weird to understand why a picture thread causes so much angst amongst those who profess to be interested in photography . It just takes two seconds to click away from a bad picture set.

Or is it that the gear collectors get upset when they see what people can do with a camera?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think a bit of both.
It is hard to view threads with many photos when at say a hotel room with poor wiFi (like most)

But then if you do t like a lot of photos perhaps one has picked the wrong type of forum to join, unless you just want to talk about the gear. :hmmm:

To me it is about the images we take good and bad. While i like the experience of using some gear better than others, all gear is just a tool to get the images.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Angst. There’s a lot of it about.
I get bummed out when I see 10 pics of somebody’s walk around the city.
10 totally worthless pics buildings, with no photographic merit whatever.
So worthless that even a child wouldn’t take them... And then they wanna share them! WHY?
What’s wrong with these people? Lol.
Angst... :)

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Angst. There’s a lot of it about.
So worthless that even a child wouldn’t take them... And then they wanna share them! WHY?
Angst... :)
Well, not everybody does photography to make art. I suppose some people might think that others might be interested in the place they visited.

Sure stuff that is badly exposed, badly composed is not good to look at.

You can get some ideas from people who post less than accomplished photography.

Again it just takes about two seconds to see a thread and decide thre is nothing of interest.

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mark
Maybe that's where they are in their photographic journey? I have a lot of shitty pictures with no photographic merit sitting on a hard drive. I mean A LOT. I'd like to think they're better now but maybe others still think they're shitty. Whatever. I still shared them because that's where I was.

Dumping on an entire forum is different than dumping on a person but still, I don't love the sentiment expressed. When I see a run of not-great photos, I try and find some constructive criticism to give. Maybe it makes somebody's day better and they learn something.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Did you actually read the linked post? The OP seemed pretty straight forward, keep it to less than 10 shots in the gear forums (as per the rules) or post in the image threads. What's the issue?
Yes, I did, and I replied to the OP.

It seems people complain a lot about threads with more than 10 pictures. I cannot fathom out why they complain. Who cares if sombody posts 20 or even 100, nobody forces me to look at them.

There are rules on that forum against trolling and flaming and all the rest. But I see little action being taken against me really foul posting there. No, lets make war against pictures.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Maybe that's where they are in their photographic journey? I have a lot of shitty pictures with no photographic merit sitting on a hard drive. I mean A LOT. I'd like to think they're better now but maybe others still think they're shitty. Whatever. I still shared them because that's where I was.

Dumping on an entire forum is different than dumping on a person but still, I don't love the sentiment expressed. When I see a run of not-great photos, I try and find some constructive criticism to give. Maybe it makes somebody's day better and they learn something.
Yes, it is better to give a nice comment and some encouragement. Maybe a gentle suggestion abut how to improve the shots.

Real Name
Steve
Looking through the linked pics I can understand why the photographer wanted to share their experience with multiple images. Florence is a magical place, I went for a five day break about 10 years ago, one day I set my alarm for around 6am and wandered around the centre of Florence with my camera when there was hardly anyone about, it was a still and beautiful morning - something that will stay with me forever.

The Pont Vecchio

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
Looking through the linked pics I can understand why the photographer wanted to share their experience with multiple images. Florence is a magical place, I went for a five day break about 10 years ago, one day I set my alarm for around 6am and wandered around the centre of Florence with my camera when there was hardly anyone about, it was a still and beautiful morning - something that will stay with me forever.

The Pont Vecchio
I live just across the Apennines and once a year I go there for work.

I went on a lovely day in winter and the light was good and there were few people around. It was great not having to queue to see the places I wanted to visit.

We also stayed in the centre for the New Year once, and madly went out on the first of January at about seven in the morning. It was wonderful there was not a soul to be seen.

My late father in law was a Florentine and was baptised in the Baptistry. I cannot imagine this is possible today for an ordinary citizen.

I was quite happy to see that thread i linked too and I to thought it great that the poster wanted to share his visit with others. I found it rather mean that the Mod decided to rebuke him for posting more than 10 pictures; rather petty if I may say so.

Those sort of posts are often a catalyst for a conversation about the places in the photograph, much better than the usual "equivalence" threads that are that forums staple diet.

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I doubt that the temptation to post over 10 photos in a single thread is so compelling as to warrant a scuffle over, but they do like fighting over there.

Personally if there is a special circumstance when someone really wants to post more than 10 in a single thread, people should live and let live.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I don't know how much it matters to others, but - besides the culture there - what keeps me away from DPR is the forum tech itself. It's primitive and gets abused intentionally. Even though it's been 20 years since I've used a dial-up modem, so many replies quoting everything posted before without any abridging bothers me - and when that includes a lot of photos, the effect is greatly amplified. And does anyone else think the grinning smiley faces have a sardonic look? Or is it just that they're sometimes used sardonically? :whistling:

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes, I did, and I replied to the OP.

It seems people complain a lot about threads with more than 10 pictures. I cannot fathom out why they complain. Who cares if sombody posts 20 or even 100, nobody forces me to look at them.

There are rules on that forum against trolling and flaming and all the rest. But I see little action being taken against me really foul posting there. No, lets make war against pictures.
The issue is if you are reading a thread multiple times, you still have to go through all of the pictures to read the new replies. After I've seen the pictures, I really don't need to see the same pictures again.

Particularly if you use the threaded view (rather than the lame flat view), when you go to a thread, you see the first post, and then all of the replies threaded in terms of what they are replying to. Then you can cherry pick which responses to read, and which to skip.

So when I post pictures, I tend to post an initial post describing the pictures or the event, and then as separate replies add a few pictures at a time. I can then easily see the new replies and look at them, without having to scroll through the pictures.

If you only read a thread once, then it isn't an issue.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom