wanting more reach

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by manju69, Jul 24, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi

I am wanting to get a lens (zoom or prime) that gives me more reach than the kit lens (14-42) on my EPL1. About 100mm is enough , though a little more would be ok. I bought the m.zuiko 40mm to 150mm but was no that impressed with the quality, especially using it at the 150mm end, so returned it and bought the panasonic 20mm F1.7 instead!, which is a lovely lens, and has re awakened an interest in primes. So I am looking for recommendations for a telephoto prime or maybe a good zoom that is also...

A. is not too big/heavy on a Olympus EPL1
    B. Not too expensive! (no more than the Panasonic 20mm - preferably much less!)
    C. up to 100 or 150mm focal length.

I have been looking at these Olympus OM primes and zooms (as i have an OM to MFT adapter already)

OM Zuiko 35-70mm F.4
    OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8
    OM Zuiko 135mm f3.5 or f2.8
    E.Zuiko PEN 100mm f3.5 (do these fit natively onto the EPL1?)

Any thoughts on these or any other make of lens? (adapted or native/FT) Any recommendations would be very helpful - as there are a whole lot of lenses out there on eBay!

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have a Konica 135mm f3.5 and have found it to be really nice on my EP1, if you've already got an OM adaptor I'd go for the 135mm f2.8 or 3.5 OM lenses, both are meant to be very nice.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's for the original Pen series, not the new digital PENs. It will use a different mount than your OM adapter (the Pen series had a much shorter flange distance than a typical SLR, more like a rangefinder - the adapter will be for the "Pen FT" mount). Since you already have an OM adapter, I would stick with those lenses for now...

The nice thing though about rangefinder and Pen FT lenses are that they don't waste the shorter flange distance of the Micro Four-Thirds mount, giving you a more compact kit than if you use SLR mount adapters.

4. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I think for what you are asking anything in the 100mm and 135mm would be great. I have a 135mm OM f/2.8 (Helios) that is an amazing lens, and fits really well on my G2 (see my profile picture). I'm also eyeing a 100mm OM f/2 if the price is right.

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have the Pentax-M 100/2.8 and it is a great lens on my G1. Small and sharp. I hear the OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 is probably even better. Someone just sold an Oly 100mm on the forums here a day ago or so.

6. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Have you considered trying the Panasonic 45-200mm? Some are not impressed with it, but it's a fast auto-focus. I find it not too bad for image quality ... Certainly not "prime," but then you'll catch some of the shots you wouldn't have had time to focus manually.

I also find the in-lens stabilization on that one nice for the long-throws: can better see the focus and framing I'm looking for while hand-held.

Just has a nice, assured feel to it. Usually pretty inexpensive too.

7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I have considered this, and still am, I might find a store where i can try it, meanwhile I'll play around with a OM 135 prime and see how I get on. (very cheap on ebay!) Thanks

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks for explaining this - These lenses look lovely and compact, so I will keep my eye out.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    More commonly found as a pen F mount, FT was a pen camera model, as were pen F and pen FV, but all are pen F mount. These lens aren't so cheap anymore, since MFT has come about the prices have been increasing, since demand has risen.

10. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

My 2 cents.

I had the OM Zuiko 100mm f2.8 (get the Zuiko, not the ?.Zuiko so you know you have a later production one) and loved it. It is very small and easy to focus.

Another lens that I had and really liked was the Canon nFD 135 f2.8. A little heavier than the OM 100mm but not too big. This was another good lens that I got good results with.

On a side note, I like the mZuiko 40-150mm lens. It is too slow for many things (especially indoors at school events) but outside in the sun, I have had pretty good results with it.

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I've have (or have had at one time) the Pen-F 100/3.5, OM100, 35-70 and 135 and the Hexanon 135/3.2

Of that list my favorites are the OM100/2.8 and OM 35-70. The OM100 for IQ and compactness and the 35-70 because of it's IQ and flexibility. I have the close focus version and it is very nice lens as well.

12. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I live in england and sun is in short supply - maybe that's why i was disappointed in the 40 to 150mm. Are you saying the E.Zuiko 100mm (rather than Zuiko) is not so good? There are more of these second hand as far as I can see.

13. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    advice: pen f/ft 100mm f/3.5 needs a hood

True and they are also smaller and lighter than the SLR lenses. But they are older, and not well (if at all) coated. I have the 100mm f/3.5 lens and it requires a long hood for any photos where it is pointed in the general direction of brightness, or you get a veiling haze across the whole photo. Even a wall illuminated by the sun behind you will haze the image. With a hood it's a nice lens.

-N

PS a toilet paper roll's cardboard tube makes a perfect (and disposable/recyclable when too dented) slip-on hood for this lens. Just paint it matte black inside to reduce the brightness of the area directly illuminated by the sun.

14. Identifying OM Zuiko lenses on appearance alone is not always clear cut. The earliest OM lenses had a silver ring around the front of the lens and are sometimes referred to as a Silvernose. These will mostly (perhaps all) be marked with a letter that I think corresponds to the number of elements i.e. E=5. Somewhere along the line the OM lenses changed from single coating to multi coating, lost the silver ring and the letter designation. Some multi-coated lenses were marked "MC"...but not all.

This page gives a concise history of the 100/2.8, but I don't know how definitive it is.

15. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I am not an OM expert by any means but I did decide early on to try and get mainly OM lenses for my E-PL1 and I read as much as I could find on them. Here are my un-referenced conclusions that did coincide with my limited testing. Maybe its not that the E.Zuiko is not so good but my understanding is that the Zuiko is most likely better.

- Olympus appears to have refined their lenses over time and apparently not just with better coatings.
    - The newer lenses had better coatings, were less subject to some discoloration, and possibly had better optics (maybe sharper wide open).

The older OM lenses had the silver nose. I avoid these. I had a 50mm/1.4 silver nose and it was really soft at 1.4 an still soft at 2.0. A later model "Zuiko" with a serial nubmer greater than 1,000,000 was much sharper at f1.4.

Olympus stopped putting the E. G. F. in front of the Zuiko on the nose at some point. A "Zuiko" 50mm is newer than an "E.Zuiko".

I would suggest getting a "Zuiko" labeled lens. If there are two to choose from, take the one with the highest serial number.

Next down the list would be the ?.Zuiko labeled lenses.

Next down the list would be the old Silver nose lenses.

16. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Great - many thanks for this guidance - picked a Zuiko 100mm F.2.8 up on ebay yesterday!