Wanted to love the E-M5 but...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TexChappy, Jul 9, 2012.

1. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Having trouble getting on with the E-M5 that I got last Friday. Shot about 50 shots with it and have literally zero keepers. Wife tried it on iAuto to take some pictures of our bulldog puppy and they were bad. Camera store said try it out for about 7 days and see if I liked it. So far I’m not.

So, is it me, the example I have, or the camera. Really thinking about taking it back and exchanging it for a D7000, a lens for the D40 (and maybe a fuji), or just money towards something else.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm afraid you're not going to get much (usable) advice unless you provide us with some more detail of what you are not liking about the E-M5. What types of problems do your images exhibit that keeps them from being "keepers"? In what ways are the images "bad"? Is it an issue with focus, low-light performance, dynamic range, etc.?

Perhaps you can post some of the images that you're unsatisfied with?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You gotta really like your camera. If you loved your other gear, then I'm assuming your switch was driven by the need to go light? I believe tremendously in the m43 system, but maybe try one of the less expensive bodies first, to get a feel for it???

Any rate, any sample pics you can post, and talk about what you don't like? Or at least tell us what you were shooting. One known weak speak that a DSLR should do better at is AF in action/sports. If it was a kid's soccer match, that could be an issue.

Samples always help.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Why were none of your shots keepers to you? What lens are you using?

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    If you got zero keepers out of 50 shots since Friday, sounds like it's not the camera for you. Return it and move on, I'm sure the camera store will be able to sell it very quickly.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not sure I'd agree 50 shots is an actual good sample, given the move is from DSLRs. DSLR and mirrorless shooting are, in my experience, fairly different, especially at the consumer end, where the OP might be accustomed to the "auto" setting. m43 cameras require you to slow down just a bit because of CDAF, but the results can be better. So a bit of patient can yield improvements in output, but I think that has to be learned.

7. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I don't see where a D7000 is doing to work better for you if you are only using fully automatic modes. The only place where this would be different would be for using continuous focusing. If you need continuous focusing, then I don't think any mirrorless camera would be the right choice.

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Something is OFF

Shooting with the EM5 is the easiest I've ever experienced with any camera. Something is off with your settings or lens. The dynamic range of this sensor is truly fantastic and the camera is very forgiving.

That said the camera is complex. Once you have a basic grasp of all the parameters its just ... fire away. I change IS from off to 1 and go back and forth from center weighted metering to spot and occasionally change one or two other settings and that's it. I can't even bring myself to try 'my settings' as I'll forget which is which. I use AEL once in a while if stitching a landscape panel. I do everything through the super control panel and never go into the menu except to format a card.

The camera should work like a dream right out of the box.

9. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    That’s why I’m wondering if it’s a bad example or some setting got off somewhere. Maybe it’s the kit 12-50 that isn’t what I was expecting.

10. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Here’s a shot my wife tried on all auto -
    P7080005.

here’s my attempt with shutter priority and all other settings left alone:
    P7090017.

Seems to consistenly underexpose for my taste. Doesn’t seem sharp to me either. The last one was at f6.3 at 100mm.

11. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I had a similar problem when I first shot with the OM-D. In my case it was operator error - I had dialed in a couple stops of exposure compensation by mistake. Check to see if that might be your problem.

12. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Have you got the face priority set on?

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good samples to work with. Thanks.

You are likely on the intelligent metering. In the second case, it's heavily back-lit. In the first case, you do have some strong lit elements. Tried center weigheted or even spot metering. Also, you could dial in a +ev. Another poster mentioned the -EV issues they accidentally experienced.

On sharpness -- that's hard to judge on underexposed shots. Have you had any sharpness issues on a test of an evenly lit subject?

14. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    Both sample shots have subjects in relative darkness, compared with other bright light sources in the image. In the photo with the boy, he is in shade, and the whole background is in bright sun. The auto exposure setting will average it, making him much too dark. If you compensated manually, he would be lit OK, but the background would be very light. The interior shot is a similar problem. The subject is in the dark room, with brilliant sunlit windows in the image area. When the meter reads those windows, it will throw that reading into the average for the scene, darkening the whole image to compensate, and thus the subject winds up too dark. Try some photos where the lighting is favorable, since this type of shot is difficult to get good exposure in all areas wthout fill flash or HDR technique, etc.

15. raslian

raslian New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    I'd give it more time. I can take 1000 photos and only get 20 keepers.

16. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Turned the ev up one and changed to P shooting with center-weighted and this is what I got:
    P7090022.

Still doesn’t look sharp to me. I’m sorry I missed the question about face detection - yes it’s on, should I turn it off?

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Don't need to turn up the EV if you are dealing with an evenly lit subject. Only if it's back-lit.

This was shot at 1/6 second at F6. is that the long end of the kit zoom? F6? Ugh. Then it's a lens issue. For indoor shots without flash or major lighting, the long end of kit zooms will be an issue. Also, the ISO is only 1600. I'll bet you can set the OMD to do higher ISO than 1600 (it probably limits it to 1600 by default).

Is the 12-50 your only lens? Can you take a shot outdoors with the kit? You'll need a better lens for indoor shots without flash (like the panasonic 20, PL25 or Oly 45), or start using the flash.

Teh blurriness in this shot is the 1/6 shutter speed. For kids, you want at LEAST 1/30, and preferably 1/60+

18. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Ok, I’ll take it outside and try some after lunch. Thanks for all the help so far.

19. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    The reason I asked about the face priority is that I have found (on both my Pany and Oly cameras) is that if the camera finds a face, it will adjust the exposure accordingly so that the face is properly exposed. In both of your boy shots, however, because they are from the side, it seems likely that the camera was unable to detect the face.

You will see a white or yellow box around the face if it finds one.

20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

The indoor shot of you with the dog would have had to be shot at iso 1600 with that lighting to get a decently exposed shot and get the shutter speed up to something usable.

I use auto iso most of the time. You have to go into the menus to set it but it is not difficult. I set my low parameter at 200 and high at 1600. The camera will chose the lowest or best iso it can manage without going way low on the shutter speed.

Also I would suggest shooting in Aperture priority. 'A' . Then you just play with the f/stop for your depth of field or more or less shutter speed. I never use 'S' or 'P'.

You just have to get used to thinking about three things. Light, subject movement and composition. iso auto takes care of two of those things most of the time. Composition is about which lens to use or how close or far to move with your feet. Also I suggest center weighted average for metering. I use spot only when I'm shooting little birds often against back light. :thumbup: