Wanted Panasonic touch screen improvements via firmware

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Having had the opportunity to use a few of Panasonic's MFT cameras that offer touch screen control, I've realized that a few simple firmware enhancements could really improve the camera functionality and user friendliness.

I'm hoping Panasonic would consider these suggestions:

1. Regarding the touch focus, we need to be able to lock the focus point so an accidental touch will not reset it.
    2. Touch control in general needs to be easily enabled and disabled, perhaps through an assignable "function" button.
    3. The ability to selectively enable and disable each touch function, from one centralized menu.
    4. Regarding the "Touch Shutter" feature, when used with "Bracketed Exposures", one "touch" should be able to take the selected number of bracketed exposures. This would eliminate camera jitter, especially on a model like GF2 that no longer offers a remote shutter control."

How would others feel about having these features added / modified via a firmware update?

Please keep the discussion in this thread focused on this particular issue of touchscreen control improvement so that we can try to get Panasonic's attention :2thumbs:.

• Like Like x 1
  2. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi Amin:

All of the above look like good ideas to me, although I have to confess I haven't noticed issue #1 to be a problem on my GF2. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    I have a GF2.

They should introduce a 'hold' press. For example, if I hold the 'Play' button, I should be able to bring up the shooting modes. Of course by introducing this, they should also introduce a customization menu to set these settings.

4. RDKit

RDKit Mu-43 Rookie

Point 2 is CRITICAL

The only shots I missed on my recent trip with my GH-2 were when the focus point was inadvertently moved to a peripheral point by my left thumb or nose bumping the touchscreen.

I've reverted to having the rear screen turned off and setting the camera so I have to manually switch between the LCD & the EVF.

An assignable button to disable the touchscreen aspect would be a much better solution ... firmware update please Panasonic