1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

wanted: cheap sharp fast 25 mm prime

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by taikuodo, Jan 22, 2011.

1. taikuodo

taikuodo Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2011
    I'm looking for a cheap and fast 25 mm prime, or somewhere in the 20-25mm range. Any recommendations?

2. Orientator

Orientator Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2010
    Hi!

If you need auto focus I think the cheapest option is the Olympus (full FT) 25 mm f2.8. But to be honest, I'd prefer to buy the 20mm f1.7 from panasonic which is only about 80 € more expensive than the 25mm FT.

There are many 24/28 mm legacy MF lenses available. With an Olympus OM adapter you can get f2.8 for about 10-35 € and f2.0 for about 50-100$ at eb.y.

AFAIK all brighter options are much more expensive.

Regards from Germany
    Stefan

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    How cheap is cheap?

Pana 20/1.7 is very good value.

The digital Zuiko 25/2.8 isn't that fast or indeed cheap once you add the adapter

Cheaper takes you into the world of adapted CCTV lenses

Fast legacy 24/2 lenses never were cheap

K

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is your best option. You haven't specified what cheap is but the Panasonic gives you fast, it is within your focal lenght range, is quite sharp and generally a pretty good performer for a reasonable price. That's why I bought one.

Now my other lens in that range is the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95. Now that is FAST, probably one of the sharpest lenses in MFT and a great peformer. It isn't cheap and if you are not use to using manual focus lenses, maybe not the right lens for you. I think it is exceptional value as there is nothing like it in current production lenses that will give you that sort of speed for anwhere near the price. Maybe it is cheap after all.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Cheap, fast and sharp 25mm? I think you get to choose two out of the three. I'm not sure there is something that is all three. Of course it depends what you mean by fast and what you call cheap (I know my idea of cheap is under $50 so that would severely limit your options). The Panasonic 20/1.7 is fast and you can pick the up for under $300 used so I'd say that that is as good an option as any.

The cheapest, fastest MF lens I have is the Olympus OM 24/2.8. It's sharp, not particularly fast and cost me around $100 (used) and I think hat was a bit under the going rate.

What about something like an old Series 1 Vivitar 24/2?

6. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Computar 25mm

Another "cheap" lens, fast and very small: Computar 25mm f1.3. Being c-mount, a very small lens. Some vignetting, but you can pick this lens up for about $25 (plus an adapter, if you don't have one). Oh, and some careful grinding... :rolleyes:

Pictured here:

4365401191_caa36761fb_o.