WANTED, a new mode. Manual with Auto ISO..Update.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I use GH2 & G3 cameras, when I set M the Auto ISO disappears.

Never realised before that I can't have Manual with Auto ISO, seems so simple, I set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera sets the ISO.

I don't use auto ISO as a rule because the aperture and shutter speed are never as I want them.

With auto ISO set I find there are too many variables...

In A, it's the ISO and shutter speed.
    In S, it's the ISO and the aperture.
    in P, it's all three.

This seems such a simple requirement, makes me think I'm missing something fundemental. :confused:

Update.......From the EM-5 manual....ISO sensitivity is fixed at ISO 200 in mode M top of page 89.
  2. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    must be panasonic thing... auto ISO in M works fine on my E-P3 but disappears as an available option on my GF2
  3. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I can see your point Dave. But having auto iso in manual mode wouldn't be a real manual mode.
    Semi manual I suppose ?
    Would be very handy though. I think Pentax have it also don't they ?
  4. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    TAv You set the Shutter & aperture and the camera adjusts the ISO. I think it was only on the higher-end bodies (K10D yes, K100D no, etc.)
  5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Both Pentax and Oly allow for auto ISO to be used in manual exposure mode. I think it's a great option to have.
  6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Nikons have it as well. You can turn on auto iso, and iso will go up or down, with the changing light conditions.
  7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The GXR has it and I use it like that all the time. Now I'm working with my Grandson's GX1 and it doesn't. I miss that feature and hope for a firmware update but don't think it will happen...
  8. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    OK, correct me if I am wrong but switching on Auto ISO in Manual on the Pens, at least on the E-PL2, means you lose true manual mode where you set all three parameters: shutter, aperture, and ISO.

I assume your auto ISO range still applies and any exposure adjustment (deliberate over/under exposure) has to be done with the exposure compensation (+/-) button, but I remember reading in the manual that EC didn't work in manual mode. Is the manual wrong in this case?
  9. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Just tested, this appears to be incorrect. With the camera in M, Auto ISO picked a range of values as I pointed my EM-5 around the room and towards the window. Manual selection of ISO was still available.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Yeah thats one of the things that I find annoying with the G3 no "auto ISO" in manual mode, all the Oly cameras have it, I hope it will be fixed with a firmware update but probably not.
    It's handy when you are shooting say wildlife for example and want to set a shutter speed to minimize motion blur and an aperture to set DOF, you can use S mode but then the camera will always set the aperture wide open before winding up the ISO where in manual mode you can say use this shutter speed and this aperture setting and the camer then picks the ISO.

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    With the other PENs, the modes where auto-ISO works is a user-selected menu item. You can choose to have it only work in ASP modes or in addition have it work in M mode. By default on my cameras Auto-ISO in M was set OFF; you had to go into the menu system and turn it ON.
  12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    On the E-P2, there is no auto ISO on manual even if it was selected in the menu in A,P S etc., there is no auto ISO option in the manual mode. The camera defaults to 200 ISO, you can change it to any ISO that's available except auto. I suspect this is the case with all Pen's as well as the E-M5.
  13. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    That's wrong. I just set Auto-ISO on my E-PL1 in Manual. All I had to enable it was set the ISO-AUTO setting to "ALL" as opposed to "P/A/S" in the menu.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Thanks, I missed that one. :smile:
  15. MirrorlessMan

MirrorlessMan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    I would love this feature especially since I use my GH2 exclusively for videos and since the shutter speed is essentially locked to a set rate most of the time due to 180 rule, it would be nice to be able to control aperture as well and let the camera choose ISO.
  16. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    You have Auto ISO option

Dave, the GH2 has 3 custom modes beyond "M" on the dial. They are manual and have the Auto ISO option.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Tried it, cant' get it to work, when M is selected Auto Iso disappears, so how can the settings be registered to C1,2 or 3 and get Auto ISO
  18. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Thanks! I had been hoping I could do this too but hadn't thought to check if it was available in the custom function settings!
  19. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Set the function dial to C1, or others choices. Press the menu set button on back, then the ISO button (up arrow) for the ISO menu to appear. Use arrows to navigate to top of menu and select Auto ISO. Of course, you probably want to work your way through the entire C1 menu to set all your preferences of operating in manual mode such as the maximum ISO you are willing to use. Just even

I'd recommend you buy "The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide" to learn how to drive your new beast. This is more of a camera than than I ever expected. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide: Brian Matsumoto PH.D, Carol F. Roullard: 9781933952895: Amazon.com: Books

20. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Done that ISO menu does not appear.

The book is on order.