Wanted: A body for shooting video

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by trailer, Sep 29, 2013.

1. trailer

trailer New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2013
    Currently in possesion of an EM-5 and an E-PL2 with a varirty of lenses, kit and otherwise. I've got an EM-1 and a BMPCC on pre-order. The likelyhood of getting the BMPCC anytime soon is zero and it will be touch and go as to whether I will get the EM-1 prior to a trip to Africa in the middle of October. I would really like to take two bodies with the EM-5 for stills and another for shooting video. The EM-5 is capable of doing great video quality but I don't want to be swapping lenses over too much, dust etc.

For the above reasons I'm considering getting a GF6 to cover video shooting for the trip as they can be found at a fairly reasonable cost. I've not used Lumix cameras before apart from point and shoots so I am open to suggestions if this would be the way forward or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    GH2 or GH3 would make more sense. You get much better control and the EVF works well in bright conditions. I have both, and for bright conditions and telephoto work, I actually prefer my older GH2 since I can use ETC mode in 720/60p allowing me to bump the shutter speeds higher. The GH3 can only do 720/30p in ETC mode. The major advantages of the GH3 are more codecs, and a huge battery, now I can actually go all day.
  3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

What about a G6? You get focus peaking, 24p support, manual control over exposure and ISO.
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    What about a camcorder?

You can get great video and some serious reach for not much cash.

For example: Panasonic HC-V520; Full HD 1080/60p video in the AVCHD format. The 50x zoom lens has a fast f/1.8 max aperture and a 35mm equivalent of 28-1748mm. $350.

I'd put my tele zoom on the E-M5, a 14/2.5 or similar on the E-PL2 and have a camcorder for video.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. trailer

trailer New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks all for the replies. I had been looking at the GH2 as well. You get a pretty decent bang for the money and there seem to be plenty of good condition second hand ones around. The G6 I don't know a great deal about but thanks for the suggestion too.

I hadn't considered a camcorder. Largely because I have an SLR Magic 12mm Hyperprime and a couple of c-mounts that I was planning on using on the BMPCC. By going down the m43 body I could utilise those. I will certainly give the camcorder option some more research though.
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The camcorder route has it's own advantages, much greater zoom range, option for 4-8 hr batteries etc.

Disadvantages are the sensor size. The best consumer models have 1/1.7" sized sensors, and max out at 20x, more likely a 12x and the wide end is typically more like 35mm equiv. the smaller size sensors get noisy much more quickly. My 6 yr old Canon HF100 which is still pretty good in low light compared to the current models, doesn't hold a candle to the GH2
  7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I was going to suggest if you were after better Video but it was not of prime importance that a GH1 might be worth it. But I see you are thinking of the GH2 which is a great cam for Video and it gives you a 3rd option for stills shooting at the same time. I would not go for a 'video only' camcorder unless I knew I would be shooting a lot of video. Even then I would be more inclined to go down the G/Gh route as I could use it for dual functions.
  8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    With GH3 1 battery can last you pretty much whole day, it can record 4hrs of video in one charge vs 2hrs on GH2/G6.

Though I also recommends G6 over GH2 since it got faster AF (240fps vs 120fps), no greenish tint video from past GH camera, focus peaking, 1080P60 with ETC, wifi tethering from your phone/tablet which is useful on some wild life shooting.
  9. trailer

trailer New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2013
    Indeed, the G6 looks like it might win. It appears to have all the advantages of the GH2 with a few extras thrown in too. The only (small) downside is the size compared to a GF6 but I'm sure that I can live with that. It also looks like there may be a firmware hack coming soon for it too.

Thanks again all, much appreciated.
  10. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    The gf6 is a poor choice as it is essentially a dumbed down version of the gx1 for more than double the price. Same sensor, tweaked jpeg ooc (though still much better off shooting raw for both), worse grip, no hotshoe etc. etc.

My advice for you is the g5; 360$ with kit lens and superior to both gx1 / gf6 in everything besides size (and no wifi). The tiltable screen is very handy when shooting video as well.
  11. trailer

trailer New to Mu-43

Sep 27, 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting the G6 with the 14-140 HD as a kit. There's £100 cash back running on this in the UK at the moment. I've had my eye on a 14-140 for a while so two birds one stone etc etc!
  12. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I've owned a number of Panasonics and hated all of them because Panasonic colors make me want to barf. And none of the Panasonics have 5 axis image stabilization like your E-M5. Maybe you should get an E-PL5 or E-PM2. They offer E-M5 video image quality, but don't have the 5 axis. If you want the 5 axis you'd need to get an E-P5. E-P5 is like an E-M5 without a viewfinder and one benefit it offers over the E-M5 is touch focus when shooting movies.
  13. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I'll throw in an option I can endorse... what about one of Panasonic's FZ series... FZ150 or FZ200... easy to take a jab at this, but look at the feature set. I was patient in looking for a used one and ended up trading for an FZ150 almost a year ago for the moral equivilent of $250.00. The FZ150 is still pretty expensive new, but there is a reason for that this far into the FZ200 run... here's a good deal used: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...C_FZ150K_DMC_FZ150_Digital_Camera_Black_.html

The wife loves the simplicity, uses it for video and stills. I use it for video and stills too... but I really got it to shoot video. The stills are abonus and there are some things it offers in pinch that make it a good backup bosy as well. I won't go into features for stills, but I actually like it very much as a capable compact. Anyway, it captures 1080/50p/60p (28Mbps) as well as 1080/30p (20Mbps) video with PASM and mic input, stereo sound and continuous autofocus, uses AVCHD or MPEG-4 codecs, it has power OIS image stabilization, has great quality 24x lens (25-600mm equivalent), smooth and virtually silent optical zoom (I know, zooming is frowned upon), above average battery life, HDMI output, fully articulating screen, manual controls available. Worth a look. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcfz150/3