Wanted: 28mm to 40mm Prime Adapted Lens Recommendations

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zpierce, Feb 4, 2011.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    In the prime category, I currently own the 20mm f1.7 Panny lens, and a 50mm Minolta Rokkor f1.4. I'm very happy with both of them but I find myself often wanting something in between. Often times I find the 20 too wide and the 50 too long. Also, I'm just itching to get a new lens to play with :)

I've been scouring ebay, but it's so hard to know what's good and what's not so I thought I'd throw it out to the forum for recommendations. I'm not super picky, I'd just like something that is decent.

Criteria is that it has to be a prime somewhere in the 28-40mm range, ideally 35mm, right in between my other lenses, F2.8 or faster, preferably inexpensive / easily acquired. I'd love to get something in the $50 ebay range. I'm not interested in spending more than $100 on this need right now though. Any format is fine, I don't like swapping adapters so I'm happy to pick up a new adapter.

Bonus points if you have one that meets these requirements to sell me! :)

2. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Have I got the lens for you! I'm selling an f2.8 35mm lens with a nice bonus feature: two aperture rings that let you switch rapidly between wide open and a preset aperture. It's a T-mount lens with an Exakta adapter included. It ends tomorrow in the early afternoon.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It might be difficult to snag a 35/2 for around $50, but you'll easily get a 35/2.8 for that price in most of the major SLR brands.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'd say the Olympus 28/2.8 can easily be found under $100 and I have seen them around $60 at times. A Vivitar 28/2.8 close focus could be fun (pick your mount). I have seen Konica 24/2.8 at right around $100 and the Canon FD 28/2.8 should easily come in under $50.

Any of those would fit the bill.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Currently waiting on an OM Zuiko 35/2.8 to arrive. I may yet be disappointed but being a Zuiko of that era I doubt it.
  6. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I'd say go for Minolta Rokkor-HH 35/1.8 but it's almost impossible to get it for $100 let alone $50. I can also recommend Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 - it can be had quite cheaply in Minolta MD or Canon FD mounts.
  8. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    BBAR 28 2.5 Tamron adaptall great lens :D hated it on aps-c now i fell in love with it on a G1 sharp , nice bokeh. The most important it is cheap.
  9. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    How about the Hexanon 40mm f1.8? Great lens: usually about $50 on ebay...very compact lens, too.
  10. yoshizuki

yoshizuki New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2011
    looking for the same lenses. Thanks for this thread.
  11. Beomagi

Beomagi New to Mu-43

May 17, 2010
    A few lenses and how much I paid

28mm F2 Vivitar FD - not bad at f2, good at f2.8, great at f4 - I like it. $60

35mm F1.7 Fujian Cmount - hate it. it's not very sharp and put together by monkeys. The aperture blades aren't aligned properly so it's rectangular when stopping down and goes from circle->hexagon->rectangle->slit->nada.

35mm F1.9 Vivitar series 1 Konica - dislike it. Built well, but soft. $50

38mm F1.8 PEN - <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 ! $67, keep checking ebay and keh for deals

40mm F1.8 Konica Hexanon - sharp, but bad flare. Needs a hood - or i use a step-down to 37mm AND a 37mm rubber hood. - $30 for lens and ~$10 in adapters and hood. (probably your best choice).

It's not easy to always find lenses when you want them. I'd suggest you make a list and scour ebay/keh or other stores you know where you can buy old lenses.

Old PEN lenses do show up and I love the sharpness and detail build and size of my 38mm.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Wlodek

Wlodek Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    BC, Canada
    Pen F 38mm f/1.8 F-Zuiko. My favorite; compact, sharp, quality construction.
    • Like Like x 1