1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Want to TRY: Fuji Tx-1 / Hassel Xpan

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Kosta, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I've been looking at this camera for a little while now, and the results it can produce just blow me away. I wish there were more 35mm innovations like this! maybe one day there will be something affordable with digital?

I would love to try one for a week/weekend if there is anybody in the Melbourne area who may have one or knows someone who does....

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Only camera I ever had I regretted selling and I had all three lenses. It's better than what you've heard. There are a few places that rent them though. Foot Riesel in Sydney has one for rental.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks! That just makes me want it more!

Wonder if I can sell an organ...

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Your post made me research this camera, as I've never heard of one. Seems real sweet. Found a used one for $3500 on Amazon.

G

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
  6. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    That's my hesitation as well. But if it's ilford hp5 I can develop it free and scan it at home... That's my inclination towards it! But damn digital is so much easier and cheaper. The results really make me want one though!

7. bubzz

bubzz Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2011
    London, U.K.
    From memory - and its a long time - HP5 and Tri-X had much the same developing time and characteristics. I used to use D76 for eight minutes at 68 Farenheit...I think...

bubzz

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    B&W development is pretty easy. I used to do it every day.

Gary

9. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I'm tempted as I've found one at a good price, but don't think I can afford to part with the money right now...

Maybe one day!

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    For me, my shooting style, this would me a one trick pony, great for that one trick, but not a very good return on my investment as I don't shoot all that much landscape. Sorta like a LensBaby, you use it a lot when it is first acquired, then the newness fades and the thing goes deeper and deeper in the camera bag.

How much better is this camera than stitching?

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    But that was the great thing about the these cameras, you could use them for documentary work, portraits, travel and a whole host of other subject. Checkout the book Chaos by Josef Koudelka--not Xpan, but medium-format panoramic photography.

The advantage really comes from faster use and any scene with moving objects.

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I taught photography for 8 years at university. My students dreaded learning to develop B/W film. But as they demystified it, they loved it more and more. Putterson tanks were okay, but I could explain the stainless reels better. Then contact prints, and dodging/burning... man we had fun way into the night. Someone always had a boombox (or later, an ipod). Really, with the old E-6 Hobby kits, E-6 was almost as easy.

We move way too fast now to appreciate some of the finer things.

Don't forget, 35mm started as exposure testing for movie film. Wonder what Ernst would think of an X-1...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Until recently, I ran a color darkroom at home. Mostly to print. Chemical photography is just a blast and really not hard.

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    A little note about one-trick ponies. Swing lens pano cameras are really one trick ponies--Widelux, Horizon, Noblex, etc. It is really hard to get beyond the "wow, neat" factor and do something really good. BTW, the actor Jeff Bridges uses a Widelux, see his web site.

http://www.jeffbridges.com/

Flat film pano cameras are more versatile--TX-1, Xpan, Linhof, Art Panorama, Horseman, Fotoman, etc. Most have interchangeable lenses. If you can click with the format, they can really produce amazing images and are as versatile as any format--beyond the focal length selection you get with m4/3, APS-C, 35mm, etc. But most large- and medium-format shooters would feel the systems are quite flexible.

15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    And not only that, the Xpan can do both panoramic and standard 35mm frames at the flick of a switch. The winding motors then move the film back and forward to the correct position, so there was no wastage. There was even a setting to leave the film leader out on rewind for film changes. Camera also has a hotshoe, remote release screw. The viewfinder also zooms to match either the 45 or 90 mm lenses. Definitely more than one trick pony.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Gordon, please stop! :p re-iterating how nice this camera is...

I've found a local store that has the hassel version so
    I will ask to rent it.