Want to shoot 4K?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Jun 12, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What's equally interesting is that it has DFD, which apparently is approaching phase detect for C-AF tracking performance. With a fixed mount lens they should be able to get very accurate defocus data for DFD.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Reading the preliminary view from the link, the writer feels that this is the camera that every mum and dad wanting to shoot Little Johnny at soccer should be using. With the built in video to stills capability, they get 4K video as well as 8MP stills of Little Johnny at his peak performance. ;)

4. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    4k everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I want 8K!!!!

6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Great price point.

7. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Pretty impressive. These days, Panasonic seems to have the top camera in every market segment they enter.

One of the comments in the 43 rumors post says the lens lacks the "onion ring effect", same as the PL42.5. I would be surprised to see that on a zoom in a $900 camera, but if it's true, it will have very smooth bokeh (like the Nocticron).

Edit: now 43 rumors is also posting that it lacks the "onion ring effect".

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

8. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

What is the onion ring effect?

This kind of has me tempted to trade my Sony A57 in for this, but then I remember that 400mm isn't long enough for my wildlife needs. But, the rest of the specs has me drooling. Then again newer m4/3 models from Olympus and Panasonic also has me tempted.

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The subtle (or not) concentric rings inside bokeh balls from traditional aspherical lens designs. No rings = smoother bokeh balls.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    This actually looks really interesting, and I must say I am quite tempted. The word bridge-camera causes me some itch, but apart from that...wow. Well done Panasonic.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its explained here. My understanding is that its not visible under most conditions, but will have subtle contributions like smoother bokeh and will allow more aggressive PP (I have seen the rings occasionally when applying tonal contrast or detail extraction).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...-panasonic-beats-the-curse-of-aspheric-lenses

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
  13. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Unlike Olympus, Panasonic dumbs down the image quality of their lower priced models and the FZ1000 is no exception. It's not even an RX10 killer: http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com/2014/06/new-4k-panasonic-fz1000-sony-rx10-killer.html
    I pray for Olympus to come out with a 4K model, but I worry the company has secret non-competitive agreements with Panasonic and Sony that prevents them from developing models with advanced video capabilities (given that Pany & Sony supply Olympus with sensors).

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I know you tube has a lot of compression, I don't know enough to accurately say if those are video artifacts or from the lens, but I'll wait until further verification before I accept those reports about eliminating the onion ring effect as valid. That would be an impressive amount of tech and engineering to put into a $900 consumer camera. Not only the lens a zoom, but it has a camera attached to it. Still, Panasonic is putting out some impressive stuff (the LX8 looks awesome as well).