1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Want to see some sensor dots, I've got plenty

Discussion in 'Nature' started by DJSponge, Oct 30, 2011.

1. DJSponge

DJSponge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    EPL-2 with Kit lens, processed in LR3:
    1y7k0y.

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I sort of like these dots even though they are distracting and a dead giveaway that the image was shot with a digital camera. That said, there are ways to minimize the appearance of red dots in your sunset images using selective hue/saturation control.

I hope you don't mind, but I did this real quick in Photoshop just to illustrate how the dots can be minimized. I probably could minimize them more if I spent some extra time, but you get the idea.

1y7k0y.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJSponge

DJSponge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'd love to see the steps you took for removing the red dots! I have a couple of images that they are present in, and it bugs me immensely!

Nice PS work!

Doug

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I've ran into this a few times with the pl2. It can be distracting at times.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Anybody know the technical reason for why this happens? Looks like light flaring off discrete elements on the front of the sensor (AA filter?) or the microlenses, maybe.

6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    In this case I just opened the image in CS5, opened up the hue/saturation tool, selected reds, moved the saturation and hue sliders around (mostly just desaturated the reds).

Since desaturating the reds made the overall colors less appealing I applied a bi-color filter (orange and blue) to give the scene a bit more color in the sky and foreground.

Then I grabbed the burn and dodge tools and a soft brush with 30 percent opacity and lightened/ darkened the beams of sunlight.

7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I actually like the original, but you probably weren't going for that look when you pushed the button.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Didn't Oly change the AA filter strength in the PL2 :confused:

Note: I've seen the same phenomenom on mine too...:frown:

9. The first Oly with the weak AA filter was the E-PL1, but I haven't seen nor heard of it suffering from the same problem.

10. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    Using the red eye reduction tool (CS5) gets you this:

i-8Hcs3ch-L.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm goona go with reflections from the microlens array coupled with a polarizing filter.

If one is game shoot a laser pointer onto the sensor and take a look at the reflection ... all them dots are from the microlens array. I suppose coherency is not required.

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This would indicate a different micorlens array then, correct?

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure I understand the Q. I don't know enough about AA filters construction to seperate them from the microlens array for fill factor comp.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Both of the edits that are shown shift the color in the overall image too much. This is a case where you really need a pixel editor, like PS, to selectively reduce color only on the spots without losing the red in the sunset.