Want to replace my G3 with???

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mistyp11, Aug 10, 2013.

1. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    My main camera is a 5D Mark III, and I will be keeping it. My second smaller camera is a Panasonic G3. I think it is fine, but I don't love it. I am about to have my third child, and I have back problems, and I want to get a second camera I like more. I have the G3 listed for sale here, so we will see what happens.

Right now, I am renting a Fuji X100S. I think it produces beautiful photos, but the focus is not fast enough for shooting my kids. I have ruled out all Fuji cameras for now. My husband really liked the Fuji- the ergonomics and the solidness of it- and it disappointed I don't feel the focus will work for us.

I don't like or need or use an electronic viewfinder. I do like the touchscreen focusing of the G3, but it seems as if I am always accidentally touching something, changing settings, changing the size of the focus point, etc. with it. I only have the 20mm 1.7 lens. I don't really like the colors the G3 and this lens produce (I assume that is the camera and not the lens?).

So I guess I am trying to decide what to do or buy next. I think I am considering the Canon SL1, which I may just buy (already have the 40mm pancake), or renting an Olympus. If I rent an Olympus, I am not sure which to rent- the EM5, or the EP5? And then should I consider replacing the 20mm 1.7 with the 25mm 1.4? Or any other ideas?

2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I played with the SL1 in Best Buy the other day and I kind of liked it. I found it responsive and the Live View better than previous implementations for Canon. However, even the kit 18-55 is a big lens compared to M43. But with the 40 pancake it would be a very nice size. Do you think you will like a 64mm focal length lens though?

I just ordered the cheap G5 and hope I like it. I hate to hear you didn't like the colors from the G3 and 20. I really like the JPEGs out of the Mini Pen and have also been pleased with Canon's JPEGs, but I hear Panasonic's are so good. I understand the JPEG settings can be tweaked in camera though, so I may play with that a bit.

Best of luck to you.

3. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I think I should go to Best Buy and see if I can handle the SL1, that is a good idea. I don't feel like I need to rent it I guess. I had a Rebel long enough to know what it would be like. And yes- the lenses would be an issue. I like the 35mm length on my full frame, and so the 40mm would be too tight. And the kit lens does look huge.

I shoot in RAW. Yeah, I am not sure what the issue is as far as the G3 files. With the lens, it seems like there is more distortion than I want, but that has nothing to do with the camera, and really there should not be so much distortion at that length- so I don't know. I wonder if I have some crazy ratio setting thing going on that I don't even understand that I am doing. The G3 is funny because it also seems like if I don't pick it up for a while, I can't remember how to use it when I do pick it up again??? It is just so not intuitive for me, and just not a camera I am compelled to pick up and use, at all ever. So I thought one of the Olympus vintagey looking switch/button actual control cameras would be more fun to use and that I would be drawn to using it more often. Ha! There are some technical reasons for you. Although I understand that the AF is excellent too, by some accounts faster than the SL1 would be.

I really hope you love your G5! Boy do I ever realize now that a camera is such a personal preference thing, so you may just really love it.

4. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    You mentioned not minding the need for an EVF, so I guess the EP5 is worth a look, it has some bells to ring over the EM5. Not sure I will replace the 20mm with a 25mm, unless you really prefer the 50mm FOV.

I would suggest is to take a look at your Canon setup, if there are some FLs not covered or if there are primes that you need that the Micro 4/3s equivalent can complement.

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    If you're certain you don't like, nor need, nor want an EVF, I'd suggest the EP5. Awesome camera.

Or, the somewhat less capable (in terms of IBIS and max shutter speed) EPL5.

As for lenses, the 12-35 (at 35mm) will make great portraits, in addition to providing excellent versatility for a wide range of general use applications. It is not inexpensive, but coupled with the EP5, that one lens would enable you to do quite a lot of top quality, varied imaging and has the benefit of 12mm at the wide end... much better than being limited to 14mm as many kit lenses are. A much less expensive option, though not nearly as high quality, is the Oly 12-50 kit lens which, if the less than stellar IQ isn't an issue for you, does offer great versatility.

6. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks Dave,

I have the 35L/85mm 1.8/100L, a Lensbaby with a few optics, and then the 40mm pancake as I mentioned. I feel like I am covered- but it is all just so heavy sometimes (ha!). What we are missing as far as my husband is concerned is something wider. I am not sure i want to spend a huge amount on additional lenses, and would probably only replace the 20mm at this point- especially if I chose one of the Olympus cameras. Maybe I should start with renting the EP5. If would happen to fall head over heels and we used it a ton, I think I would actually choose a normal zoom... But I think the 2.8 is quite a bit of $$$.

7. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Yes- I think the 12-35 would be excellent, if I got to the point of wanting to part with that much cash and was really attached to my Olympus. I will for sure rent the EP5.

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi ... Congrats for second kid :thumbup:
    EP5 with 25 mm 1.4 will be a deadly combo. If u want more smaller package .. Go ahead with EPM2 and new Panasonic 20 mm , PL25 is an awesome lens , u will love it .Have a look at newer Panasonic GX7 as well
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Thanks, and it is actually THIRD baby! Yikes!

I am not super hung up on the camera needing to be tiny- since I am used to a 5D Mark III, anything I can pop into my purse is small enough for me. Glad to hear nothing negative about the EP5 yet, so it sounds like the rental will be worth my time. I am not sure I could consider another Panasonic camera, I am just not a huge fan. There is nothing wrong with it, but I want to have more fun shooting it than I do (if that makes any sense at all).

10. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

Here is one of my favorite G3 photos, and a good example of the kinds of photos I usually take...

11. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    What are you using as your RAW converter? All of the m43 lenses do software correction, and not all RAW converters read and use the embedded correction data. I used Capture One in the past, and it does not support the automatic corrections, but now I use Lightroom and it does. If you switched to Olympus, you could have this same issue. As for controls, Olympus is very different, so if you just don't connect with the Panasonic interface, then Olympus might be worth a try.

12. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    I use Lightroom 4. Sometimes I forget about the profile correction step- I will have to apply it to some of my older G3 photos and see what happens. I honestly am not a huge fan of the colors either- so I am hoping that would be different with the Olympus.

13. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    What about the G5? They're rather inexpensive right now, and particularly awesome. If you don't like it, then fip it, or keep it around for when you want to bring a camera with somewhere, but aren't entirely certain it will make it back in one piece.

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    About the only thing I can see making the EP5 better, from my perspective, is adding in an EVF, within the form factor. To me, that would make for the ultimate m4/3 body as of today. For you, with an aversion to EVFs, I think the EP5 would be your dream m4/3 body right now!

15. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So, why do you need a large sensor, interchangeable lens camera? Why not a super zoom or advanced compact?

16. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Oh gosh, I am not sure what that means you are saying about my photo- and I am not sure if you are questioning my need for my 5D Mark III, or saying to replace my G3 with one of those? I guess I posted the photo to say I take photos of my moving kids in natural light. And I guess that other than the functionality/handling/ergonomics, the G3 works well enough. My website is here: misty prochaska » superblog. And whatever might look snapshotty recently is due to my 5D being in repair at Canon. I am a mom with a camera hobbyist, yes, but I am very serious about photography as a hobby.

I was going to buy a Fuji X100S, which I am renting right now, but the AF is not fast enough. And I bought and returned the Canon S100 last year, which I found to be totally unusable with ridiculous shutter lag. I don't have any interest at all in a super zoom. I am going to rent one of the Olympus cameras I think.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    If you buy/rent an e-P5 (or e-M5) you will want to pick it up, even when you're not taking photos.
    This also applies to the older e-P1, 2 & 3 but those don't do low-light so well as the new breeds.
    I think you should also immediately buy a fast-focus decent-aperture lens ... the excellent 20mm will never focus particularly fast.
    But what? £££ :rolleyes:

18. mistyp11

mistyp11 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 12, 2011
    Yes, that is exactly what I want to hear. I want a camera I want to pick up. I keep going back and forth between renting the E-P5 vs. the E-M5. I think the E-P5 is slightly more attractive to me. I played with the Canon SL1 at Sam's Club just now, and it is such a small strange little thing, it feels kind of awkward and uncomfortable to hold. I hope the Olympus would be better in that regard. The X100S is super comfy to hold.

19. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Then you'll probably like the Pen. I owned the X100 for a while and I found the E-P3 more comfortable in practice. Since you like the 35mm focal length, why not try out the 17/1.8? Using the touch shutter, it takes photos at near instant fast focusing speeds.

20. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    The E-P5's shutter is a lot more responsive IMHO. You basically click and it captures, I would say very very short shutter delay. :smile: