Want to learn about RAW and processing RAW

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by snaimpally, Jan 31, 2013.

1. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I shot film for a long time (OM-1, XD-11). For the last 10 years, I've been using P&S digital cameras - JPEG only (I am not a professional photographer). I wanted to shoot RAW (more processing options, better quality, etc.) so I recently bought a Panny G3. I have Paint Shop Pro and have used it for very basic jpeg processing (cropping, saturation, color balance, etc.). I recently picked up Lightroom.

I really don't know where to begin with RAW. For example, when I open a RAW file in PSP, it asks me to makes some adjustments etc. before it will display the picture. I have no idea what to do. Can someone point me to a good way (website, youtube video, training course, book, etc.) to learn more about RAW? Thanks.
  2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Start with using Lightroom instead of PSP for your main RAW editing - the workflow is a great deal easier (you don't have to make any adjustments before you can see an image). Have a look on Youtube for some Lightroom tutorials.
  3. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Lightroom has a built-in RAW processor, so you'll be able to see your images as you are importing them into the Lightroom database. LR will let you do your complete end-to-end digital photography workflow, all in LR.

My JPEG workflow and RAW workflow are the same once the files are imported into LR.

Have you loaded LR yet? Give it a try, and be patient because the learning curve may be a bit steep at first, but once you get the hang of it, you will find that it flows well with what a photographer needs to do, from organizing, to editing, to output as a file or print.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Books: Jeff Schewe - The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop. He's a consultant to Adobe and an alpha tester for Lightroom and Photoshop.

Scott Kelby - The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers. He runs the popular online training site Kelby Training.

Both are useful. I'd get the Schewe book first and if it's too much then Kelby's book is much lighter reading.

On youtube you can look for Lightroom Killer Tips which is also supported by a informative website.

That should get you started.

• Like Like x 1
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    2 other Lightroom info sources:

Martin Evening's "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book"

The Luminous Landscape Intro and Advanced Lightroom 4 video packages.

I'll also second Gordon's recommendation of Jeff Schewe's "The Digital Negative". Jeff is co-presenter along with Michael Reichmann on the Luminous Landscape video packages.
  6. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    +1 on LightRoom. I have a soft spot for DxO Optics pro, because it does some things exceedingly well (I prefer their engine to LightRoom's, and their lens corrections are unparalleled) but it's less well rounded, snappy and polished than LightRoom and doesn't do digital asset management (build a database of your pictures). So I use both, where appropriate.
  8. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
  9. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
  10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I'm finding lightroom a very powerful tool for my uses. At the moment, the only thing I find myself wishing it had was better healing/cloning tool.

At this stage I'm sifting through various free video tutorials. Some bits start getting a bit repetitive, but I'm find I often pick up a new point here and there.
    Here are some channels that I've found useful:

Lightroom - YouTube

serge remelli:

Julieanne Kost:
    Julieanne Kost. Principal Digital Imaging Evangelist, Adobe Systems, Inc. Adobe Lightroom tutorials.

Lightroom Killer Tips - Get your weekly dose of the coolest AdobeĀ® Lightroom tutorials, tips, time-saving shortcuts, photographic inspiration, and undocumented tricks. New videos posted each Monday and other news over the week.

I never found a really great video tutorial on sharpening, but came across this article on lightroom 3 (which can be extrapolated to LR4):
    Understanding Sharping in Adobe Lightroom 3

Hope you find these useful!
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If you're running a Mac, Aperture works as well as LR for RAW. You can download both Lightroom and Aperture and see which program suits you best under their free 30 day trial incentive program.
  12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For the last couple of RC's, LR has had almost continual coverage for the last 6-9 months. RC2 ended Oct. 31, RC3 comes out Nov. 5. Easy way to try it and keep it running past the 30 days if you still can't afford it right away.
  13. Jimbo3rd

Jimbo3rd Photog GoGo

Mar 10, 2011
    Central Florida/Disney area
    Jim Sullivan
    Here's another interesting starting point for Lightroom. Phil Steele has a good easy start
    progran that you can check out at [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7wxQ_zBzZA]Lightroom Tutorial - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]
    His program is very afordable, easy to follow and will get you started. At least check out the youtube intro.
  14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't do any real cloning or healing in LightRoom, other than occasional dust speck cloning in sky areas. Anything that's going to get printed gets run out to TIFF, opened in PhotoShop and I let content aware do its thing for more complicated areas. Works great.
  15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Most helpful to my getting started learning lightroom was:
    Adobe TV's Juilanne Kost's Getting Started with Lightroom 4 vids.

For Books
    Scott Kelby - The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book for Digital Photographers and to a lesser extent Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 - The Missing FAQ by Victoria Bampton. Martin Evenings Lightroom 4 book is supposed to be very good as well.

I've also downloaded a TON of assorted presets from around the web - if you get Scott Kelby's book he give's you a URL to download some. Just do a search for Lightroom 4 Presets. I've found these helpful for when your trying to dial in a certain look or feel for a shot, and can often take an otherwise blah photo up a notch.

Agree with the above poster-one of the few things that bugs me in Lightroom is I wish there was a more robust retouching set of tools. Hopefully in future releases they will build on this tool. What they do have is great for random dust particles and such, though.
  16. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks very much for all the suggestions! I have not yet installed Lightroom - I'll do that this weekend. I bought from BH and just noticed that they included a video tutorial for lightroom on DVD - so that will be a good place to start.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also bought Aftershot Pro (they were clearing out the old version so it was cheap). But sounds look Lightroom is the way to go. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
  17. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
  18. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
  19. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I have a question about raw processing and exposure:

I am quite comfortable getting good results from raw. But I'm wondering if I am missing something and I could learn more.
    So if you consider yourself very experienced and into the fine tuning, what operations do you often perform on a picture? What do you check? What affects your choice of operation?

This is not about the usage of one piece of software or another. Nor about the other useful tasks like sharpening and noise reduction etc. And high productivity is not a concern. I am interested in tinkering and striving for the best results.