1. All transactions (buy, sell, and trade) in the Buy & Sell forum are strictly at your own risk. Mu-43.com and its owner are not affiliated with anyone buying, selling, or trading on the board. We are not liable for any misrepresentation, fraud or spam posted here. The remainder of our Buy & Sell forum rules are in the Site Terms of Service, which you can read here: https://www.mu-43.com/help/terms

COMPLETED Want to Buy: Cam kit with lenses good for indoor and outdoor use | Location: USA | Ships: USA

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by Hdale85, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dec 13, 2012
    What type of listing is this?

Want to Buy

What are you trying to sell/buy/trade?

Cam kit with lenses good for indoor and outdoor use

What are your prices?

$500-650

Where are you located?

USA

Where are you willing to to ship?

USA

Description

I'm looking for a kit that someone wants to get rid of that would take some good pics during holidays and vacations. We're going on vacation with our family soon and just need a camera to take. I'm not looking for something crazy out dated, just thought maybe someone had a camera here with a lens or 2 they'd be willing to make a nice deal on. I'd love some sort of zoom lens and maybe a 25mm prime or something. As I said I only have 500-650 or so to spend trying to keep within a budget with our tax returns as I have to do some other things with it as well.

Payment accepted

Shipping method

Shipping charge

Handling time

References

Additional comments

Acknowledgement

I have read and agree to the Buy and Sell rules.

2. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    You could get an Olympus E-PM2 with a prime used for probably half that.

3. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dec 13, 2012
    I haven't really researched camera's in quite a while, is the E-PM2 pretty good? I saw there is an EP5 I think it is that seems to be in the 400 dollar range pretty regularly.

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-P5 with 17mm and EVF for 599 is an incredible deal. Add the zoom kit being sold on the board here for $150 and you'd be set. If you don't need the EVF you can sell it on for $100-125 and be at your $650 limit.

5. davidzvi

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If you want smaller then look to eBay for a GM1/GM5 with the kit lens and add a 20mm f/1.7. AF speed on the 20 is not the best, but it is actuate and sharp.

6. onewheeltom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    A friend just bought a refurb E-PM2 for about $150. It has the larger 16mp sensor. I just bought one of the E-P5 bodies for $350 and it is very nice. If you are just getting into it, the E-PM2 would be a less expensive way of getting started. My first m43 camera was a E-PM1 which I have seen for less than $100. At this point, I think the E-PM2 is the better choice of the two considering the minimal price difference.
    --tom

7. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dec 13, 2012
    Hmm going to have to think about this, I found out I can get the Nikon D5300 for like 449 with an 15-55 too.... Gotta think on this some lol. I had a Panasonic GF5 a while back that I had to sell due to money issues. I know the D5300 isn't anywhere near as small as most of these m4/3rds cameras.

8. davidzvi

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If the "family pictures" include a lot of fast moving small noise units (aka kids) then the Nikon might be a better option. I like my m4/3 gear a lot and it suits my needs for travel, family, etc. But it's all about the right tool for the right job.

If price is really a driving force in the decision (and there is nothing wrong with that) them go to B&H (through the referral links here :biggrin: ) and look at the E-PL6 kit. $299 with the 14-42 or $399 with the 14-42 and 40-150. Add the Panasonic 20mm, used they sell for about $150 (version I). This would be like having the Nikon with the 18-55 + 55-200 + ~28mm prime

9. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dec 13, 2012
    I just want to make sure a get a good quality base, small camera's are nice for sure. But I can deal with something a bit larger if it's going to net me something better for my money. I have 2 kids that are still young (7/8) so that's certainly something to think about. It just seems like the nice m4/3 stuff is still outside my budget. I'll take a look at that E-PL6.

10. davidzvi

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-PL6 is the price option.

But the price leader in the quality base to build on would be the deals on the E-P5 or original E-M5. The original E-M5 is selling for $379, body only, at B&H. The E-P5 includes the 17mm which goes for about $300 in new condition and the EVF. So the body is cheap in the kit. Each of these were originally $1,000 bodies, have the same sensor as most current Olympus bodies, full IBIS, and were the very top of their product lines.

11. Hdale85

Hdale85 Mu-43 Regular

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Dec 13, 2012
    Well, I think I may just up my budget a good chunk. I'm kind of looking at the Olympus OMD EM-5 Mark II now as it apparently is pretty good with video as well.

12. onewheeltom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    As for myself, I like smaller because it is generally more available. If I have to think about whether or not to bring the camera with me, it is too big. Even though I have the E-P5 along with my E-PM1, sometimes I choose the E-PM1 with a small zoom because it will easily fit in a jacket pocket and is less fussy. I have the E-P5 because I wanted a second body so that 2 lenses would be available to me at all times. Both bodies and 3 lenses fit in a small bag.