Want OMD. but afraid of banding.. fixed??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Oct 17, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Hi. Had epl1.. good for what it was.. then ep3, better but low light performance had me reaching my wallet to buy a dslr.. now i want a omd to use as my travel camera.

But been reading about banding issues with various lenses, especially my fav m43 lens.. the panny 20 1.7---

So, has the issue been fixed? Been researching for two days and cant find the answer.

Is this 100% of the time or only 5%.

Thanks

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I've never seen banding with my OM-D/20mm combo. Not saying it doesn't happen, just I haven't experienced any banding (and I have two OM-Ds).

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  3. khollister

khollister Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Keith
    No banding here with a variety of lenses (but no 20).

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Perhaps because it is an issue with ultra high ISO and certain conditions/textures in the photo, but has been blown out of proportion by some people? Just sayin' (and no, I don't have the 20/f1.7 but if it was an overwhelming consideration the internets would be buzzing day and night about it).

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Got the lumix 25 so no longer a concern.

6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    If I remember correctly (not having a 20mm it wasn't an issue for me) the banding only occurred at higher ISO settings, not at lower settings. You say low light performance is important to you so you may run into the problem if you get an OM-D but you are only likely to do so in low light situations and maybe not for all of those situations depending on what "low light" means to you and what ISO settings you use.

Also if I remember correctly Olympus acknowledged the issue and said they were working on it (they said the same thing about the rattlesnake sound with the PL 25 also, I seem to recall) but I can't remember it being listed as one of the things addressed in any of the firmware updates.

7. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    So long as you do not intentionally under expose while shooting in higher ISOs you will be fine.

Aperture blade chatter on PL25 is a none issue.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's not an issue for me either, but it does occur and it is an issue for some. While I'm content to live with the PL25 chatter and it doesn't stop me using the lens, I'd still prefer to live without it;

I mentioned it only because both it, and the 20mm banding issue, are problems that Olympus has acknowledged and we're still waiting to see action on both. They may not stop people using these lenses but they still deserve fixes because they shouldn't happen.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My impression/recollection was that this was an issue with the early firmware and the 20/1.7 but has been fixed in subsequent firmware from 1.2 onward?

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'll agree with Gary (although I own only one EM5) - I've noticed no banding using the 20mm.

HTH

Jim

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Can't test this particular case, but we always have to bear in mind that, in all firmware updates, there are "silent" fixes never announced.

Another consideration is this: from my years as a software developer, our worst nightmare was trying to replicate bugs that only seemed to appear in very specific conditions (most of the time hardware related, or having something to do with weird interaction with other installed software).

Also, in most cases, said bugs were not very well documented (that's being polite about it).

When you find yourself in such situation as a developer you have to either (a) allocate adequate resources to try and investigate the reported issue or (b) put it in the "let's pretend it doesn't exist for the moment" folder and wait and see. I'm obviously not talking about showstoppers here.

All that is not trying to defend Olympus at any rate, but, to be fair, I'd rather have them working their a$$ off upgrading and improving the firmware rather than chasing after elusive ghosts.

13. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    thanks everyone for chiming in.. such a helpful forum.

now my only choice silver or black. i'll buy the 20mm at a local store just in case i need to exchange it for the 25mm..