Want HHHR from your G9?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So I am getting ready for a big video shoot, and was testing each of my cameras and varying lenses and wanted to get my stablest Handheld videos. I have an old Hoodman loupe with the hardware for attaching to my D7100. It fits perfectly on the G9. My experiment was with the Pany 14mm with GWC1, but something in the 12mm range would probably work. I was shooting at 4.5 @ 1/125 ISO 400 using HighRes mode 2.

The Hoodman Loupe with the metal mounting gear is somewhere around $200. At 70 years old, I with the Hoodman was getting killer steady video with the G9 and 14/GWC1. So I thought lets give HR #2 a try. It works and all I can say is if you have a video rig or sturdy grip for the camera try it. I would not hesitate to try (I'd probably take a couple) high res mode 2 shots.

100% crop Just my standard starting point important stuff in ACR Raw. This is like 4"from the 32" wide file through a 50 year old window..
CropRawHighResG9type2handheld100percent.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The short answer is 'yes', as I might buy one.. BUT...

"At 70 with the Hoodman ..."

70 what?

Added "years old", not the most stable imager anymore.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Interesting thread, but I have one kind of basic question that perhaps can be answered in a hurry here, instead of me wading through the specs - can the G9 (or any other Panasonic m43 camera) do tripod hi-res (like the Olympus E-M5III, the E-M1II and EM1III, and E-M1X)? I mean the in-camera variety where the sensor is shifted and then a composite is built in-camera. I think the answer is no, but I just want to know. Just looking forward to an Olympus-less world...

stratokaster

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Pavel
Interesting thread, but I have one kind of basic question that perhaps can be answered in a hurry here, instead of me wading through the specs - can the G9 (or any other Panasonic m43 camera) do tripod hi-res (like the Olympus E-M5III, the E-M1II and EM1III, and E-M1X)? I mean the in-camera variety where the sensor is shifted and then a composite is built in-camera. I think the answer is no, but I just want to know. Just looking forward to an Olympus-less world...

And the answer is yes you can!

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3761060711/panasonic-g9-high-resolution-mode

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Fact it is the only way it is recommend. There are two modes, I and II. One uses all the data from 8 shots pixel shift, while II is like stacking / pixel shift with what Adobe calls "remove Ghosts". II is for subjects with slight movement like leaves and waters for better images but slightly less pixel data used to create the image.

Type II is what I used in the example here handheld.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Thanks for the quick info, guys! This is good news. I've been having major GAS over getting an E-M1III, but the latest scary news has me wondering. This gives me an additional option (I want hi-res mode, obviously). Thanks!

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The link is before the software upgrade which added the Type II HighRes.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Yup, excellent info. There was a side-bar link on that DPreview link that had a very recent (but before the bombshell) DPreview YouTube video comparing the E-M1III against the G9. Very interesting too (I like their reviews better than their shark-forums!). I'm sitting tight for a while, but this is actually good news about the G9. I don't really care too much about HHHR, so the Oly and Pany cameras are very evenly matched... Thanks again.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I did a bunch of shots outside today with the Loupe and a pistol grip. I shot each image multiple times and I had about a 75% success rate, no moving objects in the frames.

Here is a sample, full image and 100% crop HHHR 2 (34.56" x 23.04" Original Size):

YaRDcAT1920.jpg

CropofCat.jpg

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
I'm confused as to the significance of the Hoodman loupe in this situation- why is it seemingly needed?

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@D7k1 this might be easy for me to google, but I hope you forgive me for asking.
What is type II high res?
Got a link?
I need to read up.

This makes me curious.
Maybe I should try to compare em1mk3 vs G9 high res.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can you please post a comparison with a HHHR on tripod? It just looks soft to to me.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That with zero sharpnessing or clarity slider. It is sharp on my 4K screen, must be what is done to it translation, look at the full size small jpg - lots of detail. I will also post a shot with the 12-35 when I get a chance.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
@D7k1 I think you may be confusing folks with what HHHR is. If we are tlaking about Olympus cameras, HHHR means HAND HELD. In fact, it RELIES on the movement of the camera to do its thing (as opposed to moving the sensor to do its tripod hi-res thing). Given that, I do not think that type 2 hi-res on the G9 is HHHR, and should be used from a tripod. Or maybe I am confused too? (Could be).

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm confused as to the significance of the Hoodman loupe in this situation- why is it seemingly needed?

When the Hoodman is attached with hardware it gives a very solid 3 point for steadyness when try to handhold. I would not try just two hands and the eye cup.

@D7k1 I think you may be confusing folks with what HHHR is. If we are tlaking about Olympus cameras, HHHR means HAND HELD. In fact, it RELIES on the movement of the camera to do its thing (as opposed to moving the sensor to do its tripod hi-res thing). Given that, I do not think that type 2 hi-res on the G9 is HHHR, and should be used from a tripod. Or maybe I am confused too? (Could be).

I stated earlier that tripod is the only recommend way with the G9. I just found that with a loupe attached I could get the very large image (which can be downsized, and remember that I get only about a 70% success rate doing handheld) trying the HRII handheld. It is not magic or 100% but it can be another tool.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I seriously doubt that even with that you can hold it still enough that you are actually getting more detail and not just more pixels. It certainly looks that way to me. I like the idea of the approach. I wonder if you could make it happen with a video gimbal...

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well you can seriously doubt but I've printed sections and they look sharp enough for me.

Latest threads

Top Bottom