want even smaller camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hsw21, Jan 25, 2015.

1. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Hi Guys
    Right now I have the EM-5 and the EP-3, and usually use it with the 17mm or 14mm or 12-42 zoom (only use 1 lens) for my everyday photography.
    And even though they re kinda small already, I still want something even smaller. So, since I have Olympus system, I was thinking about the EPM or the EPL series.
    Would they be a good choice? Are they really significantly smaller? Are they a good camera in real usage (bring anywhere camera) ?
    Note: picture quality is NOT my number one priority, Im more on the convenience and easy-to-use on this one.
  2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    EPM series is the smallest and lightest Olympus M43 camera.
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Do you want a viewfinder?

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Have you seen Gm1? It is amazingly small and light . Makes Epm look like an elephant . I don't understand why you want to stick with Olympus only. The advantage of this system is that you are free to use either manufacturer camera with lenses you already have.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  6. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

No big deal for me to have viewfinder or not for this one.

I havent seen GM1 (will check it out).
    And I dont have to stick with Olympus.

Wow I dont even know that website. Will check it later.
    But I also need the info from real usage too.

Thanks all for replying. :)
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    If convenience is important, have you considered something like the Sony RX100?

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Smaller overall or smaller just in an m43 camera body?

If you want smaller overall, you'll and keep with m43, look at the EPM bodies and a pancake lens of some kind.

If you want to go with a fixed lens camera, I'd look at the Nikon Coolpix A, Ricoh GR, or the Fuji X100S or X100T
  9. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Another vote for the GM1 / GM5 if you want small m43. There's a compromise on controls obviously, but I find the GM1 a good balance between portability and usability.
  10. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    I was disappointed by the RX100 (the first one, not Mk II or Mk III). The Image Quality is great, the lens is very sharp.The low light performance is good, although not as good as MFT cameras.
    - the stabilization is a joke. It only works for speed quicker than 1/30s, i.e. for video but not still pictures.
    - the camera is a bit slow. The AF is not as quick as a modern MFT, and I felt that the body was not very responsive.
    I don't know if these points were enhanced on the Mk II or Mk III model. I wouldn't say that the RX100 is bad, but I did not expect these defaults: no review mentioned them.

The Panasonic GM1 is bigger but far superior, IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    Get a good condition GM1 with 12-32. They are inexpensive when bought used. You may find that the 12-32 makes the 14-42 expandable. It's more compact and significantly sharper in my experience. If you need to minimize size and shoot in low light, slap on a 14 or 17.
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Since IQ is not the priority... the epm1 on the used market can be found for 100usd or less.... Smaller than the epm2 and epl. Small when paired with the 14 or a 14-42ez. You get in body IS as well... Of course it's an older generation of mft camera
  13. phlk

phlk Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2014
    London UK
    Try the GM1

I have the GM1 which is very small and compact, the accompanying 12-35mm zoom is a great little lens though not particularly fast. I often pitch it with one of my Olympus lenses - the 12mm and 45mm work very well. This is the camera that goes everywhere and sometimes as a back up body to my OM-D.

Here are some images taken with the GM1 in Poland on a recent visit.

Panasonic have bought out a new version now slightly larger and with a viewfinder so you can either have the extra facility or possibly the original at a lower price?
  14. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    The EPM1 is quite small, and with a pancake prime/zoom or body cap lens it will be very compact indeed. As others have said, the GM1 is even smaller, and probably has a slight image quality advantage. The PM1 can be found very inexpensively now, being discontinued for a couple of years. The PM1's image quality isn't bad at all, still better than cell phones, small-sensor compacts, etc. With the SCP enabled, the PM1 handles just fine.
  15. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i also have an olympus e-m5 and currently paired with the 12-40mm.. and planning to get a panasonic gm5 to pair with a 15mm for a smaller and lighter "carry anywhere" setup. just wishing though that they discontinue the gm1 soon and hopefully they'll reduce the gm5's price to the gm1's launch price. ;)
  16. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    Looks like that's already happening. GM1 being re-branded as cheap GF7 for the masses with a swingy screen, and GM5 gets to stay expensive for the photo geeks who demand a viewfinder :smile:
  17. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    When I want a really portable camera, I leave my MFT at home and use my Oly XZ-1.The lens is bright and has a useful zoom range with macro capability. It also has a built-in flash and produces ORF as well as JPG files so I can post-process to my heart's content.

If you're interested in an XZ camera, I happen to have a new-in-the-box XZ-2 listed on the Buy & Sell forum, because I decided after getting it that I am satisfied with my XZ-1.
  18. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I wanted to do the same thing, add a small, pocketable backup to my EM5. I got the PM2 and paired it with the Oly 17 mm f/2.8 pancake and it fits the bill. If I had it to do again, I might replace the 17 mm with the PL 20 mm f/1.7, which is almost as small and faster with a better FOV for general photography. Either combination makes for a small package that will take all of my other MFT lenses. I'm pretty happy with it. To get smaller, I'd have to go with a non-ILC P&S.
  19. fireblade

fireblade Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2012
    if you can find a new Pentax MX-1, buy it, you wont be disappointed.
  20. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm... My wife wanted a smaller camera, too. So she bought an Olympus SH-1. Lots of people seem to complain about its poor image quality, but other than the fact that it doesn't support RAW, it produces fantastic images. A little pricey though. That and the SH-1 doesn't have a true aperture... it uses a blade/ND filter solution to provide two apertures at any given zoom position.
    • Like Like x 1