1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Want better video from your Olympus product?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D7k1, May 25, 2015.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I shoot a lot of video (mostly with Nikons which now produce extremely nice video) most of it from tripods, but not with my EP5 - which has a pretty low bit rate. Yesterday I tried an experiment - I shot some scenes around the house three ways - tripod, IBIS handheld, no IBIS handheld. The results were as I expected - best in the order I listed them, but how much better the tripod was really surprised me. I got significantly more detail from the EP5 on the tripod than with IBIS. I mean contrast and sharpness on things with lots of detail even grass and plants IMHO I'd say 25 to 30% better which means I think the video went from a 5 or 6 on a scale of 10 compared to the Nikon video to a 8 or maybe even a 9 (and I'd say as good as when my D7100 is in the crop mode which seems to destroy some detail). I bought a small tripod to use with my EP5 and 75-300 and it will now be with me on video shoots with the EP5. IBIS is great for sudo-Run&Gun but for me I will be using the tripod a lot more. I used a Sigma 30mm f2.8 at 2.8 for the test due to its quality of image. Yes, I wasted a couple of hours shooting some very boring stuff, but try it and see if you can "see the difference".

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I hear the E-M5MkII is the fisrt Olympus to give serious codec choices and decent bitrate.
    Combine that with a tripod and/or gimbal for double stabilisation goodness!

Did you test "on tripod, IBIS ON" to see if the IBIS degraded the video image ?

3. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Yeah is using a cheaper gimbal with ibis a reasonable thing to do?

4. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Everything I've ever seen says don't use stabilization on a tripod, so no I didn't. The scenes were stationary though for the comparison.

I don't have the skills or patience to learn hand stabilizers. I think that it is the IBIS process and the instant processing on the video captures together that decreases the resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Mechanical 2 way IBIS on the simpler PENs (EPL1 and EPM1) video always gave me awful effects with the screen shrinking and expanding with camera movement. It's a different feature on my EM5. Very useful and more than good enough for my simple needs. Ninety percent of that video is from a stable platform. EP5 should be like the EM5. I guess I should try turning off IBIS.

6. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I doubt the IBIS itself reduces video quality (or at least I can't imagine how/why this would happen.) But...by stabilizing on a tripod you have much less (or no) movement in the image frame, which means the relatively low bitrate/poor codec/poor processing engine of the Olympus camera isn't spread as thin. So even in a detailed scene, there's not much change from frame to frame that the camera has to encode for. But when handheld, even with the excellent 5-axis IBIS, there is still some movement going on when you're hand holding a still camera.

The sample videos at Imaging Resource for various cameras demonstrates this really well- they do a standard video test where they track a dog in a front yard chasing down and catching a frisbee. On many of the Olympus cameras, the picture initially looks okay, but then goes to crap really fast (compression macro blocks, no detail in the grass, etc.) once the camera starts panning.

If a single camera could combine the Olympus 5-axis IBIS with the robust video engine of the Panasonics, we'd have a great camera for video.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The IBIS seems to operate in a different mode for video. It's way more damped than for stills, but extremely prone to getting the jello effect.