1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Want a $2000 point and shoot?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by bilzmale, Jun 29, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

It is a Leica as you may have guessed.

Review.

Summary:
    Having said that, if you can live with the X1's deliberate lack of bells and whistles and more importantly its general sluggishness, it is undoubtedly a delightful camera that takes superb pictures. Highly recommended if that description fits you, but otherwise steer clear and consider one of the more responsive and crucially much cheaper Micro Four Thirds cameras.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Bill, it's certainly an interesting kind of camera to offer at that price. I can see how the Leica name will bring in, as the review said "Only the truly dedicated or well-heeled photographers". It sounds as though the main draw back, besides the hefty price tag, for someone who loves the idea of a Leica and has deep pockets will be the lag time...but they may not care about that and be happy with their new beauty.:biggrin:

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I have an X1 and its been somewhat misrepresented in terms of its speed. The autofocus speed is faster than people have described. I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it is, and was pleasantly surprised when I used it.

Its not lightning fast by any stretch of the imagination but it has the virtue of being 100% accurate. Every shot is right on the button, every time. It also works a lot better in low light than many reviews have said.

I always focus using the centre spot only & always make sure my focus point has lots of contrast. I do that with every camera I use, in every situation. By doing that, a lot of the problems are eliminated.

Its not really a "point and shoot" Like Leica products in general, it assumes that you will have some idea of what you are doing, and are prepared to put some time in to getting the best out of it and finding the way that you want to work with it.

Its an unassuming little thing. Substantially smaller and lighter than anything m4/3 has produced so far. Its great strength is its image quality, which is superb and its high ISO performance which is nothing short of amazing. Its very usable at 3200 ISO with some of the cleanest images at that setting I've seen. It could easily have included 6400 ISO, and I've shot at 3200 underexposed 1 stop to simulate that. Its still useable. In a camera that small it opens up all sorts of possibilities.

It also has a completely silent mode. No noise whatsoever. Very useful when discretion is required.

Consequently you may not be surprised to learn that I use it when I shoot weddings.

If you are interested I have quite a few posts about it on my blog.

Soundimageplus: X1

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I used my friends for a week. I felt like loosing a friend rather than loose the camera.
    It is nothing short of amazing.
    After a few hours getting in tune with it, we we're at one with each other.
    I live it, I miss it, I can't afford it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I've had mine for a couple of months now and the image quality is outstanding. It's also very light in the hand, quiet and unobtrusive. When I'm going out for the day it's the one I always take with me for those reasons. I love my EP2 and assorted lenses but I've got to say that for my holidays and outings the X1 suits me better. I have found single point focus to be pretty quick in bright light and not too bad at all in other lights. The only drawback that I can see is that it's closest focus is always much further than I anticipated! I love it :biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Maybe I just don't get it, but after reading the review, I'm not seeing anything extraordinarily special about it. Its a fixed lens APSC type camera in a smaller package. I guess if one is a fan of Lieca. If something like this was offered from Panny, Oly, or Sony for that matter, it would be 500 bucks.

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I got in a heated (but civil) argument with Andy at dpreview about why they were bothering with a review of this camera the week before Christmas instead of the Pentax K-x (especially when they hinted in their news the week before that in an upcoming review, 'x marks the spot'). It smacked to me of deliberate slighting of an obviously mass market hit camera in favor of the bigger paycheck. Of course the Nikon d3000 review was conveniently posted just in time for Christmas as well. It didn't really help their argument that the X1 wasn't going to be released for several months while the K-x had been on the shelves for a month and a half!

On the X1 itself, definitely intriguing, and of course appealing to those into Leica; I am sure it would be a pleasure to shoot with (love all of the tactile access, much like the Panny L1), but for the price I just don't get the point myself.

Edit: I was surprised to see 2 owners in the first few posts! But I think that is the appeal of m4/3 as well - you get users putting all kinds of glass on their cameras, from Russian Helios to Voigtlander and Leica.

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all who either have one or have borrowed one for your personal feedback, that's always more interesting to me. I'm sure I'd be smitten and will welcome any gifts - should you tire of it.:biggrin:

9. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i followed the rumors of that cameras development eagerly and saw images on the interwebs that confer your image quality assessment, i was hoping it might have been
    less costly

leica cameras are objects of lust besides being incredible picture taking machines

its beyond my reach , sadly

10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Not for me the Pens are just so good (not forgetting the GF1)
    Plus I can use /add any glass.... :wink:

11. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The price is pretty the same as a M8 body (I understand that the X1 is a small package for the occasion)?

How do they compare (not following Leica at all since I can't afford them)?

P.S. I am reading your blog now, Soundimageplus. There are some interesting posts.

12. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That was my thought exactly about the M8....
    The Pen and the GF1 really....give the M8 a run for the money....

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would love to see an X1 image thread in our Other Cameras forum. Any takers?

• Like Like x 1
  14. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
  15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm sure I would enjoy it immensely. But its more or less similar to one of the pen cameras or the gf1 with the Oly 17mm and with somewhat better IQ due to the larger sensor and nicer glass - perhaps I could buy another pen body and superglue the 17 onto it.... Maybe someday I'll have the disposable income and go in that direction. I now have a pretty full m43 setup with coverage from 18-400 mm (35 equivalent) that cost me about the same or a bit less. I prefer the versatility. But there's something to be said for the whole Leica aesthetic and experience so maybe someday. But I've never gone for that sort of B&O ultra-premium stuff in any other area of my consumption, so its probably not likely to happen with cameras either. I 'spect I could always come up with something else I'd feel better about spending $2000 on, whether camera gear, or bicycle wheels or whatever.

And its nice to have some things hanging out there beyond our reach to ogle - as nice as the reality would be, the fantasy is probably better!

-Ray

16. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Noise

Soundimageplus: Leica X1 compared to Olympus E-PL1 - noise and colour - rough test

Just posted a rough test of the X1 and an E-PL1 fitted with a 20mm f1.7.
    High ISO noise compared.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/4762801287/" title="e-PL1-3200 by soundimageplus, on Flickr"> 4762801287_4bd542a0d3. "500" height="500" alt="e-PL1-3200"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/45203414@N06/4762800817/" title="X1-3200 by soundimageplus, on Flickr"> 4762800817_0f07829366. "500" height="500" alt="X1-3200"></a>