Walls of Jericho

bluebubbleboy

Mu-43 Regular
Last weekend I did an overnight backpacking trip to the Walls of Jericho in north Alabama. Here are some photos from the trip. All shot with the GF3 and 14mm pancake...an awesome lightweight package for backpacking trips IMHO.

This wasn't my tent by the way, I'm a hammock camper. The poor fella who set up this tent needs a little help though!
P1010849.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010840.jpg

P1010856.jpg

P1010861.jpg

P1010854.jpg

P1010876.jpg

P1010868.jpg

A rare image of myself
P1010886.jpg

dave37

Mu-43 Rookie
Nice pics. It was a beautiful weekend in N Alabama wasn't it? We have been wanting to visit W of Jericho for some time. We opted this past weekend for Cherokee Rock Villiage, near the corner of Cherokee and DeKalb counties.

bluebubbleboy

Mu-43 Regular
Nice pics. It was a beautiful weekend in N Alabama wasn't it? We have been wanting to visit W of Jericho for some time. We opted this past weekend for Cherokee Rock Villiage, near the corner of Cherokee and DeKalb counties.

Dave, it was an absolutely beautiful weekend to be out. I couldn't have asked for more pleasant weather. This was my first trip to the walls, but I'll be back. I haven't been to Cherokee Rock Village. Do you ever go to Sipsey? I really like that area too.

dave37

Mu-43 Rookie
bluebubbleboy said:
Dave, it was an absolutely beautiful weekend to be out. I couldn't have asked for more pleasant weather. This was my first trip to the walls, but I'll be back. I haven't been to Cherokee Rock Village. Do you ever go to Sipsey? I really like that area too.

Sipsey? For several reasons, one of my favorite places in the world. I just don't take the time to go there that much. When I have gone there, I have always taken someone new, so I want them to see the Bee Branch, Ship rock, Thompson Creek areas. I would love to explore the many other areas. I have all the issues of the Bankhead Monitor that were published in it's time, that have great stories about many of the areas within the Sipsey and Bankhead Forrest.

I really appreciate those people that have worked so hard to preserve the area and the history.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
You must be in better shape than I. I go down and do day hikes in the sipsey quite a bit. I've thought about doing the walls of jericho, but I've heard its a pretty tough hike back out.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason

We went down to the sipsey again. We went last month and tried to get to Mize Mill Falls and Turkey foot falls, but we ran into problems with the trail.

We went back down and took a different trail and ran into issues again with this trail. We ended up just going down to Kinlock falls and coming back.

I have yet to visit the northern side trails of the Sipsey.

bluebubbleboy

Mu-43 Regular
Sipsey? For several reasons, one of my favorite places in the world. I just don't take the time to go there that much. When I have gone there, I have always taken someone new, so I want them to see the Bee Branch, Ship rock, Thompson Creek areas. I would love to explore the many other areas. I have all the issues of the Bankhead Monitor that were published in it's time, that have great stories about many of the areas within the Sipsey and Bankhead Forrest.

I really appreciate those people that have worked so hard to preserve the area and the history.

Bee Branch is really cool. I also really like Fall Creek Falls (I think that's the name of the falls anyway). Last time I was there (end of December) we camped at the top right next to the water fall. Best place I've camped in AL. Loved it. Here's a couple of pics.

View from the campsite.
FallCreekFalls1.JPG

At the bottom
FallCreekFalls2.JPG

Still so much I need to explore there. :biggrin:

You must be in better shape than I. I go down and do day hikes in the sipsey quite a bit. I've thought about doing the walls of jericho, but I've heard its a pretty tough hike back out.

On Saturday we saw tons of people from very young to very...mature on the trail for a day hike to the walls. It is steep, but if you are at least in reasonable shape you should be able to do it no problem. It's well worth the visit!

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Bee Branch is really cool. I also really like Fall Creek Falls (I think that's the name of the falls anyway). Last time I was there (end of December) we camped at the top right next to the water fall. Best place I've camped in AL. Loved it. Here's a couple of pics.

View from the campsite.
FallCreekFalls1.JPG

At the bottom
FallCreekFalls2.JPG

Still so much I need to explore there. :biggrin:

On Saturday we saw tons of people from very young to very...mature on the trail for a day hike to the walls. It is steep, but if you are at least in reasonable shape you should be able to do it no problem. It's well worth the visit!

Very nice shot of fall creek falls. I went in the late spring and it was barely running.

As far as the Wallsof Jericho go..I'd have to convince my better half. The longest day hike we've done is 4 miles round trip on a moderate difficulty trail.

Really nice shots though.

dave37

Mu-43 Rookie
Ok guys, let's see an image of the Alabama Champion Poplar at Bee Branch..... Don't tell me you don't have one. Don't make me bring out my thirty year old transparencies! For those that don't know.... Three six foot people hand to hand can't reach around.

The land that time forgot...... And the ancient Beech trees that still have Indian carvings!

bluebubbleboy

Mu-43 Regular
OK, here you go. Now you need to get out those transparencies! :tongue:

Just me pretending to be tough...:biggrin:
BeeBranch.JPG

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Ok guys, let's see an image of the Alabama Champion Poplar at Bee Branch..... Don't tell me you don't have one. Don't make me bring out my thirty year old transparencies! For those that don't know.... Three six foot people hand to hand can't reach around.

The land that time forgot...... And the ancient Beech trees that still have Indian carvings!

I have yet to go to the big tree.

I need to convince my better half to go camping, that way we could actually do those long trails.

Latest threads

Top Bottom