Walks of the Pandemic

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
F5B66A38-0663-4660-8740-19A8EBD78707.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2634828B-C9F6-4B16-91AF-8BCB0110181B.jpeg
3797AA50-21B1-40B5-ABE3-EE53BCFBD57F.jpeg
1A5954EB-99FD-4F10-A8C0-A506F08D0F62.jpeg
4BA66BA0-7706-4AB1-B6CF-1FE9A0ABD7CA.jpeg

A walk from Arundel to the Black Rabbit pub.

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another trip locally to Boxgrove, West Sussex
65F9C7DD-D437-4F83-A166-D631B1E59FA2.jpeg

Ruins of part of Boxgrove Priory
D461BC91-1BFB-4BBD-9C7D-B4C99F73E609.jpeg

Amen to that!
7C0A9497-AED4-4DE3-B556-67B7CB39AF5A.jpeg
E2669E09-760C-48FD-A2FB-C32E5407888E.jpeg
DE916FF1-F05D-4EA9-A8F8-AC8711A699A1.jpeg

St Basie church

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
DSCF3987.JPG

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
During the last year, I have posted many photos from the pandemic walks and have always found this forum very receptive. I have been really fortunate, following and enjoying the seasons around the flat farming fields around York (and of course York itself) even during the pandemic. So the following photos was the ONE WALK of the pandemic that I have looked forward to for months, they are not my best photos but probably the most important - the walk to get my first vaccination:

This bridge has been my commute for the last 30 years. I have been over this bridge in snow, fog, hail, and sun. The best time to see this bridge is after light fost where the pattern of the top is reflected on the ground

P3250006a.jpg

I arrive way too early and wander the streest to kill time. But this is York and there are always wonderful buildings to find. Not far from the vaccination center is this building with its outrageous greenhouse. Would look good in a 1920s film

P3250016 - P3250018A.jpg

A bit of tomfoolery. I was the last of those to be vaccinated - hence the time for pictures. So I pretended to be a professional football (US: Soccer) player. Truth be known - it felt like a scratch and no more. There is a saying "the best camera is the one that is with you". Likewise, "the best vaccine is the one they put in your arm".

P3250025Q.jpg

THESE GUYS ARE ABSOLUTE HEROES.!!!
I love the way that even with a mask, you can see just with the eyes that they were both smiling.

P3250023A.jpg

(In the UK) I expected the process to be efficient - and it was, I expected the physical side of the injection to be minimal - and it was. I didn't expect the emotional side which was massive - I was now protected for a fair number of months not just from COVID-19 but long COVID. Normality suddenly seemed that much closer, hugging my daughter seemed a reality. As I left, the sky seemed that much more bluer than when I arrived.

P3250026a.jpg

Just need to keep isolated for a little longer (3 weeks) dont want to be the soldier that is shot hours before a truce.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Wonderful report Paul and so glad you thoroughly enjoyed the day.
It was great to see your take on the "jab" - both the selfie and of the jabbers.
Here's to a bit more freedom all round and I look forward to seeing more of your exploratory walks.
Let us see a lot more of your beautiful city please. :thumbup:

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
During the last year, I have posted many photos from the pandemic walks and have always found this forum very receptive. I have been really fortunate, following and enjoying the seasons around the flat farming fields around York (and of course York itself) even during the pandemic. So the following photos was the ONE WALK of the pandemic that I have looked forward to for months, they are not my best photos but probably the most important - the walk to get my first vaccination:

This bridge has been my commute for the last 30 years. I have been over this bridge in snow, fog, hail, and sun. The best time to see this bridge is after light fost where the pattern of the top is reflected on the ground

View attachment 880246

I arrive way too early and wander the streest to kill time. But this is York and there are always wonderful buildings to find. Not far from the vaccination center is this building with its outrageous greenhouse. Would look good in a 1920s film

View attachment 880247

A bit of tomfoolery. I was the last of those to be vaccinated - hence the time for pictures. So I pretended to be a professional football (US: Soccer) player. Truth be known - it felt like a scratch and no more. There is a saying "the best camera is the one that is with you". Likewise, "the best vaccine is the one they put in your arm".

View attachment 880248

THESE GUYS ARE ABSOLUTE HEROES.!!!
I love the way that even with a mask, you can see just with the eyes that they were both smiling.

View attachment 880249

(In the UK) I expected the process to be efficient - and it was, I expected the physical side of the injection to be minimal - and it was. I didn't expect the emotional side which was massive - I was now protected for a fair number of months not just from COVID-19 but long COVID. Normality suddenly seemed that much closer, hugging my daughter seemed a reality. As I left, the sky seemed that much more bluer than when I arrived.

View attachment 880250

Just need to keep isolated for a little longer (3 weeks) dont want to be the soldier that is shot hours before a truce.
Just remember that there are some of us that won’t be vaccinated until after the next 3 weeks (your daughter may be included in that group) and it’s important not to think that the gloves are off because you’ve had the jab.

That aside, I loved your story and the feeling you conveyed through your photos... makes me want my opportunity for vaccination to come as fast as possible!

PJ2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A4F4F394-57F0-472B-9C1C-187EFCDEB38D.jpeg
E52A4477-2E66-4416-8EFE-C5C32840E9A7.jpeg
7DFBB965-9475-4B57-A9C1-AC6FC3B26114.jpeg
2B22AB79-FBB8-482F-8F87-EECB679CD776.jpeg
67F7AEEA-7809-4854-891F-5ED37C5A0149.jpeg

A trip to Halnaker windmill. No clouds just blue sky.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I imagine lots of us on here have been very lucky during the Pandemic, though myself, like others have lost loved ones along the way.
Some of us have been fortunate in being able to get out and about during the last year and I am very grateful that I've been fit and healthy enough to enjoy many cycle rides around our lovely county of Pembrokeshire and have submitted various posts under the heading "Bike rides of the Pandemic" within this thread.
Here in the UK we appear to be getting on top of things, with over 50% of the adult population having had their first vaccination and a fair number fully vaccinated. Though Easter is almost upon us, I am not counting my chickens yet but am seriously hoping ( as no doubt lots of you are too ;) ) that this will be my last "Bike ride of the Pandemic".
So, here's a report from today's outing.

This week in Wales, we're allowed to travel anywhere within the country rather than stay local, but as we only rode from home, we thought we'd go slightly further afield to some seldom visited territory. As we headed along one lane we'd not ridden for some time, I looked ahead and thought "that's an odd shape". No, not my wife in front, but the roadside tree stump.
Pan 02.jpg

It had obviously been some danger to the public and had been chopped down, but the interesting shape was quite arresting, especially viewed from the opposite direction.
Pan 04.jpg

Some ten miles or so further on, I wanted to stop in a small village that I used to visit when working in the area. I fondly remember calling into the shop one day and buying a slice of Gala Pie for my lunch. Sadly, the shop and Post Office has closed, reverting back to a private house, but evidence of the Post Office still stands alongside.
Pan 05.jpg

The Post Box still serves the village residents, but eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that the phone box is no longer in operational use.
However, it has been put to possible good use, though the locals would hope it's never needed.
The sign above the door and windows is a good example of bilingual use, and demonstrates how the Welsh language has to create a word from English, where there's no historic one.
Pan 06.jpg

As I returned to my bike, my wife told me to "hurry up, before you gat splattered".
I thought she meant from the passing farm vehicles but she pointed to the floor and then upwards.
I hadn't realised what all the raucous noise was until I looked up and saw the crows and rooks nesting right above us.
I'm hoping the residents of the old shop, whose bedroom windows were directly opposite the nests, are as deaf as me.
Pan 08.jpg

We'd hoped to have our picnic lunch at the nearby Woollen Mill, but the owners had taken the lockdown opportunity of having building work done and it was really noisy there, so we pressed on.
Leaving the village, one cottage had some old agricultural buildings opposite and one reminded me of a small pig sty.
Pan 09.jpg

I was rather intrigued, so went over for a closer look. Lo and behold, I was right.
Pan 10.jpg

Obviously those two porkers were only pottery ones.
Perhaps the last real one had ended up in that Gala Pie I mentioned above. :laugh:

After 15 hilly miles, we were in need of sustenance and stopped at the next church for our alfresco lunch.
Pan 12.jpg

My wife normally can't ride past a church without exploring inside, but this, like most in Wales, was in lockdown too, so we had to content ourselves with a walk around the graveyard. Thankfully this was far from a macabre experience as it was blooming with daffodils, primroses and celandine.
Pan 13.jpg

We were then on the homeward leg and caught sight of these tiny cottages in the garden of one house.
They've been lovingly tended for years and it looks like they've all had a fresh coat of paint while the owner has been laid off from work.
Pan 14.jpg

It was the warmest day of the year, with a top temperature of around 20 degrees celsius, which is scorching for Wales at this time of year. Combined with the 20 mph headwind we had for our ten mile ride home, we were thirsty and weary, so we took advantage of the new rules allowing us to visit friends and sit outside in their garden for a welcome pot of tea and a chat. :drinks:

The last four miles were bearable after that and we arrived home safe after an enjoyable ride.

If you've stuck it this far, thanks for your company and stay safe on all your walks, rides or rambles. :2thumbs:

Last edited:

Steveee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Some from a couple of wanders of the Easter weekend....

091C7C14-BE21-4901-8D0E-81A743F7680E.jpeg
E5C35B63-5324-4EEF-8582-233D0A1D065E.jpeg

C16E3115-2E4D-418E-A47D-4ECCF864F8F3.jpeg

42390CEF-4C88-4169-B742-E9CB649A6743.jpeg
B00483A9-2122-4C8A-B84C-6B76982D9BB2.jpeg

7A53600E-CC35-410E-80F9-592C4DB168C6.jpeg

D37FF638-F6FD-470F-997B-8BF68DD6063A.jpeg

Wonder how far restrictions have to be lifted before these just become “walks” again? :laugh:

frankmulder

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On Wednesday, April 28th, the curfew was lifted in the Netherlands. This meant that I could go out after 10pm again, so to celebrate this I went on a late night walk and took pictures of clocks. :D

P1000802.jpg
P1000803.jpg
P1000806.jpg
P1000818.jpg
P1000853.jpg

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Pool covered. Sunloungers empty. Not a person in sight. Our local spa has been closed down since the vast majority of last year. Due to Covid I haven't had a chance to visit it yet, however I had a chance to take a photo of it from that position without looking like a creep. :hiding:
51159387978_3fd14f95c4_o.jpg
DSCF0800 by Kaltpfote, auf Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom