Walks of the Pandemic

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sergei
PG9G3526 copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PG9G3524 copy.jpg
PG9G3520 copy.jpg
P1240073 copy.jpg

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
unfortunately not a picture by Banksie
That mural is by a guy called Jamie from Weston Super Mare who goes by the artist name “JPS Artist”. There’s one just like it in central Bristol. It’s titled “Big Deal”.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
I went out the other day with only my P20 (and a body, ovbs)
Wide angle done via stitched pano (Microsoft ICE)
wot_pano_2.jpg

Tele done via huge crop:
trym_rd.jpg

This was straight use (OK, 1x1 crop). City council has stopped mowing verges, so now we have suburban meadows. Brilliant!
mower.jpg

I do still love this lens!

Last edited:

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
Just noticed the terrible purple fringing in the last shot. Easily fixed in LR, but I didn't notice before I uploaded...

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Just noticed the terrible purple fringing in the last shot. Easily fixed in LR, but I didn't notice before I uploaded...
That happens often because when you view and edit full Rez the purple fringing is is only a few pixels wide. But when you resize and often uploading will shrink her image the purple fringing gets magnified by he smaller amount of pixels the image will have. Something similar happens when printing and at close inspection (you have to go lower then half of the recommended viewing distance per print size) it becomes quite noticeable.

While most of the time purple fringing is fixable in post depending on the lens the fix can be quite noticeable (when the purple fringing is wider then 3-4 pixels) as it leaves a grey outline where colour should be there or the fringing is so intense that the software doesn’t really doesn’t understand what it’s looking for, example: when I had the Olympus 14-150mm f 4-5.6 Mark II any backlight and especially foliage would give me such deep and intense purple fringing that Lightroom would refuse to corrected it when using the eye drop Fringing detector. The only way to reduce all of it was to use a small brush and desaturate and shift the colour the opposite way. The fringing was often 8 to 10 pixels wide at all the focal lengths of the lens. I sold that lens after a year of disappointing IQ results (it had other issues that made me dislike the output of the lens a lot) and replaced it with the ancient Olympus 14-54mm f 2.8-3.5 Mark I, it was a huge improvement in IQ.

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
I don't know why I get inspired in the weirdest moments and strangest moods (today):

The road parallel to the sign or perpendicular to the arrow?

View attachment 824429
It's only us left: the wind, the rubbish, and a photographer.

View attachment 824430
Let's see how long people will still remember and appreciate the low income yet so vital members of our economies.

Got to say I love this set of photos with the above 2 really inspiring. Would never thought of taking a photo inside the Co-Op but it speaks to me about the pandemic unlike any other shot - as I am using the local Co-Op far more than normal). Always nice to see photos that bring new ideas....

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Got to say I love this set of photos with the above 2 really inspiring. Would never thought of taking a photo inside the Co-Op but it speaks to me about the pandemic unlike any other shot - as I am using the local Co-Op far more than normal). Always nice to see photos that bring new ideas....
Actually it’s not from inside the CoOp but from outside on the sidewalk through the main doors which were open. I would not invade privacy of property as well as I would not accept sharing pictures of someone’s recognisable face on privet property. I’m weird that way and why street photography is my weakest ability (along with portraits, I’m just not a people person).

I hope I can get another image from outside ASDA that shows the pandemic so I can add them to my charity Zine print I’m planning to do in the next few weeks.

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
Still doing the odd walk from home and still finding new routes and new photo techniques..

* Inspired by GEOGUESSER, the game where you guess the place based on photos (obviously inspired by the mu 4/3r own thread), I tried to do something similar for our local friends which we still see mainly by skype. It does give freedom to explore new angles:

P5230004a.jpg

* It has been cloudy and windy in the UK. So I tried to get the "blur" effect by shooting landscape at slow speeds to pick up the wheat blowing in the wind. The best that I could get was at 1/20th second and I was pleased with the effect. Like most new techniques, I will be exploring this far deeper (almost over doing it) before banking it with other techniques.

P5230019q.jpg

* I took this photo for the guessing game but somewhow felt it summed up the inactivity at the York Knavesmire:
P5230028q.jpg

* Another technique to practice during lockdown - panning. At 1/250 second I could go slower to get more bur - but again it is one more thing to practice during lockdown:

P5230040Q.jpg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
We sneaked another Bike Ride of the Pandemic in today, heading slightly further inland and on a different route than our usual one.
Using quiet cross-country lanes we emerged in Wolfscastle and detoured slightly to the beautiful old bridge across the Western Cleddau river.
2005-332-TG5.jpg

Here's the view upstream.
2005-334-TG5.jpg

And turning 180 degrees reveals the new road bridge carrying the A40 trunk road across the river.
2005-333-TG5.jpg

Retracing our wheel-tracks took us back to where we emerged from the lanes, alongside the glorious Wolfe Inn, which was probably one of the original stage-coach stops on the journey westward. Sadly in 'Lockdown' like all the pubs and restaurants at the moment, so not able to enjoy a refreshing pint on our thirst-inducing ride.
2005-336-TG5.jpg

A little way on, partially hidden from view in a small meadow is St.Margaret's Church in the tiny hamlet of Ford {where there's just one farm and a couple of houses). With hardly a congregation to speak of, It's mostly used as a 'Chapel of Ease' these days.
2005-337-TG5.jpg

As there's hardly any traffic at the moment, it was a pleasure to enjoy the lovely flat tarmac of the main road. The A40 is the trunk road linking London with Fishguard and is usually busy with ferry traffic heading for the port at Fishguard and the crossing to Ireland.
Looking ahead, Treffgarne Rocks come into view.
2005-338-TG5.jpg

Just around the corner is Nant y Coy Mill, which is normally a popular stopping off point for travellers, having a Cafe, Restaurant & occasional Art Gallery to while away some time if you're either early or (too) late for the sea crossing to Rosslare.
2005-339-TG5.jpg

Just beyond, the road narrows through Treffgarne Gorge, where it and the railway line have been cut through the rocks alongside the River Cleddau. Once round the bends the road widens and gives a good view to the elevated Treffgarne Rocks, which can be seen for miles around. Locals have a nickname for the rocks, which is 'The Lion and the Lamb.'
2005-340-TG5.jpg

Reaching Treffgarne junction, we turned off the trunk road and climbed the steep hill to Treffgarne village itself. Friends of ours live at the top of the hill, where I stopped for a breather and took this photo of their wildflower garden, in full profusion.
2005-341-TG5.jpg

From there we turned west into a gale-force headwind, which we battled against for an hour on our seven mile ride home.
I hope you enjoyed accompanying us on our latest exploits and it wasn't too strenuous for you ;) . Thanks for viewing.

Last edited:

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
^^^ Lovely! That's clearly a rather more scenic part of the A40 than the English bit that I grew up near to (and which in "normal" times is more often a car park than a road...)

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
We sneaked another Bike Ride of the Pandemic in today, heading slightly further inland and on a different route than our usual one.
Using quiet cross-country lanes we emerged in Wolfscastle and detoured slightly to the beautiful old bridge across the Western Cleddau river.
View attachment 825024

Here's the view upstream.
View attachment 825025

And turning 180 degrees reveals the new road bridge carrying the A40 trunk road across the river.
View attachment 825028

Retracing our wheel-tracks took us back to where we emerged from the lanes, alongside the glorious Wolfe Inn, which was probably one of the original stage-coach stops on the journey westward. Sadly in 'Lockdown' like all the pubs and restaurants at the moment, so not able to enjoy a refreshing pint on our thirst-inducing ride.
View attachment 825030

A little way on, partially hidden from view in a small meadow is St.Margaret's Church in the tiny hamlet of Ford {where there's just one farm and a couple of houses). With hardly a congregation to speak of, It's mostly used as a 'Chapel of Ease' these days.
View attachment 825031

As there's hardly any traffic at the moment, it was a pleasure to enjoy the lovely flat tarmac of the main road. The A40 is the trunk road linking London with Fishguard and is usually busy with ferry traffic heading for the port at Fishguard and the crossing to Ireland.
Looking ahead, Treffgarne Rocks come into view. View attachment 825032

Just around the corner is Nant y Coy Mill, which is normally a popular stopping off point for travellers, having a Cafe, Restaurant & occasional Art Gallery to while away some time if you're either early or (too) late for the sea crossing to Rosslare.
View attachment 825033

Just beyond, the road narrows through Treffgarne Gorge, where it and the railway line have been cut through the rocks alongside the River Cleddau. Once round the bends the road widens and gives a good view to the elevated Treffgarne Rocks, which can be seen for miles around. Locals have a nickname for the rocks, which is 'The Lion and the Lamb.'
View attachment 825036

Reaching Treffgarne junction, we turned off the trunk road and climbed the steep hill to Treffgarne village itself. Friends of ours live at the top of the hill, where I stopped for a breather and took this photo of their wildflower garden, in full profusion. View attachment 825037

From there we turned west into a gale-force headwind, which we battled against for an hour on our seven mile ride home.
I hope you enjoyed accompanying us on our latest exploits and it wasn't too strenuous for you ;) . Thanks for viewing.
The kind of trips I wish I could do around South West but my job doesn't give me all that much free time to do so/ And I would find it hard to bike when I would most likely find picture opportunities every 10 meters, hardly an exercise at that point :p . It seems you have enjoyed yourself quite a lot, thank you for sharing the trip with us.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
The kind of trips I wish I could do around South West but my job doesn't give me all that much free time to do so/ And I would find it hard to bike when I would most likely find picture opportunities every 10 meters, hardly an exercise at that point :p . It seems you have enjoyed yourself quite a lot, thank you for sharing the trip with us.
One day you'll have the freedom to explore at your will.
For me, cycling and photography go hand in hand and most of my photos are taken while we are away cycle-touring, which is why I call myself simply a snapper rather than a photographer.
My tendency to stop every 10 metres or so does cause a few problems and each of the "Pandemic" rides I've chronicled has taken far longer than expected. Fortunately, my wife is very patient and is used to me stopping when I observe something. Having said that, during one of the first ones I did in the evening she got so cold that she went on home by herself and then got worried when I turned up very late after trying to get a decent sunset photo to upload for you all. :rolleyes:

Phil.H

Mu-43 All-Pro
A few from my bike ride this morning to my local nature park.

_5251087_DxO.jpg
_5251091_DxO.jpg
_5251093_DxO.jpg

JNB

Mu-43 Veteran
"I'm a lot more scraggly than I used to be" said the tree. "But I've still got a toehold."
"I know how you feel" I replied.

_JBB0005.jpg

_JBB0010.jpg

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sergei
P1240167 copy.jpg
P1240171 copy.jpg
P1240170 copy.jpg
P1240172 copy.jpg
P1240177 copy.jpg
P1240176 copy.jpg
P1240175 copy.jpg
P1240187 copy.jpg
P1240188 copy.jpg
P1240184 copy.jpg
P1240181 copy.jpg
P1240182 copy.jpg

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
Caught some sea, at dusk when it was a fair assumption there would not be many people about.
clevedon-1.jpg

mp10s

Mu-43 Regular
Summer is finally beginning around here, with heat and watersports, and water-not-sports…

Fishing is still allowed, and I've seen people doing forbidden beach things like…wading. Wasn't brae enough to take a photo of the waders though. These are with a new plaything, an adapted super takumar 300mm.
49943310683_fa4d7e5a54_o.jpg
P5270058 by mickey p10s, on Flickr
49940642396_7c111feaef_o.jpg
P5260062 by mickey p10s, on Flickr

Picnics are of course still not allowed; they repainted (chalked?) the sign:
49943320183_ed0aca2db0_o.jpg
P5270098 by mickey p10s, on Flickr

And, separately, I've been experimenting with split-toning sunsets:
49940943647_03633132a2_o.jpg
P5260093 by mickey p10s, on Flickr

Cheers

=BY=SERG

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Sergei
OLYM0019 copy.jpg
OLYM0041 copy.jpg
OLYM0034 copy.jpg
OLYM0033 copy.jpg
OLYM0032 copy.jpg
OLYM0031 copy.jpg
OLYM0028 copy.jpg
OLYM0023 copy.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom