Walks of the Pandemic

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I thought having a thread for the photographs you take on those rare occasions you get outside and go for a walk, ride, drive. Limit your photos to 5 per post please. How did I come up with 5? Four is my OCD number and I have been trying to get away from it, so figured I would add one it this time.

Went on a walk with a co-worker last night to show her the foxes. Didn't see the foxes but there were two Moose in the vicinity, first time I have seen more than one at a time in that area.

Saw this discarded bottle and snapped a quick shot of it.

Winter's Warmth by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Everyone was very cautious about walking around this Moose. Several people went off trail to get by her while the guy in the wheelchair waited until she moved away from the trail a bit more.

Traffic Jam by Phocal Art, on Flickr

These next two are of the same Moose from above. I was in the area for a couple of hours and had to keep avoiding them as I moved around.

Moose 001 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Moose 003 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

This one is of the second Moose that was hanging out in the area. Only went by the one time but was able to capture this interesting image.

Moose 002 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

All photos taken with an original EM1 and the ZD 150mm 2.0.

Now add your story of a walk/ride/drive you have taken during this pandemic

Phocal

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Federal Gov't has just issued issued an "advisory" lockdown here tonight until further notice for "non essential travel." With autumn school holidays just around the corner how many will take the advice is anyone's guess? The State has yet to respond. Personally, I've just rigged a new tinny, made some home made spinnerbaits that I'm itching to try, and I won't encounter anyone else on my travels except perhaps to wave at each other once on the water, so hopefully I will be out and about in the coming days so watch this space.

jederick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Walking the dog around the local park last evening.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Yesterday on both my walks the weather was overcast. The first four were from the morning – never more than a thousand feet from home (the catkins are in my driveway). The last photo was taken in a field a mile away.

A fresh fall. I suppose there's a bit of pathos in it landing on the new growth (1 o'clock).

It had only recently stopped raining

Ivy air roots

A pasture cedar, looking from the tip, down the branch

Love the O60! Even attached to a carbon fiber monopod, that lens and the E-M5.2 are wonderfully light.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Our county went into a "lock down" mode last effective yesterday (NJ followed). I took a walk through one of the local towns and most (all?) of the merchants were following the orders.

9C80DB02-7483-4688-9E65-24DD11276E0C.jpeg
44B1BB50-8E16-4D93-BAC9-43BE22ABEAB9.jpeg
CA87F106-206C-49FD-906E-27897E474425.jpeg
75B46641-5E6E-4BFF-B58A-D55A40979A6D.jpeg
7B858EAA-F149-457E-888C-D496C2D0AB08.jpeg

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is sunny today so I am going to bring the Sigma 50-500 aka Bigma. I took it out once before but didn't see any fox, so hoping I see them today. So if possible I will do a comparison between the 300/4 and Bigma. Whenever I take the lesser lenses to do a review of them I always bring along my best lens. It's a hard decision between the 300/4 and 150/2 (don't want to bring both, to much weight along with the Bigma which isn't a light lens) and I decided on the 300/4 in case I get a chance to shoot one hunting and then I want to make sure I have some reach. Hoping today or tomorrow to finally finish my 75-300 review.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
California has been on lockdown since Thursday night. Drove around for a while today, staying in the car (sorry not a real walk).
Saw a lot of people walking, but keeping distance between each other. Parks were still open. Most restaurants have closed despite allowances for to-go and deliveries.

The weather's been gloomy, and often rainy, for the last 2 weeks but the local mall would normally have been crowded on a Sunday afternoon:

some poppies springing up on a semi-landscaped slope:

Don W

Mu-43 Regular
"Lonely Planet" shot yesterday, M1II, 9-18 lens

JNB

Mu-43 Veteran
Nova Scotia just closed its provincial parks, beaches, hiking trails. I guess the Premier saw pictures of a few people who weren't "social distancing". Frankly, it's actually pretty easy to social distance on a Nova Scotia beach because they're just not that crowded. Unfortunately, a few people who aren't taking things seriously have got us all banned (up to $1000 fine). The day before the closures, I shot these in a south-shore coastal area that includes a beach. In the sunny hour I was there, only two couples passed by, shouting distance away.

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
Went to enjoy some fresh air outside with the kids this weekend and had to cut it short due to some activity across the street. Not the best quality but had to grab one on the go. No shots fired and false alarm call.

HaHa

Mu-43 Regular
Social distancing at a lake in Oslo. Cross-posted from 'Share: RED'.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got out to look for the Foxes yesterday with the Bigma but only saw one fox for a brief moment, no photos. I was able to find some ducks, a moose, and the strangest bird I have ever seen.

I arrived early and walked down to the pond since there is now some open water that has attracted some ducks. I really didn't go down there to photograph the ducks per say, there are a pair of eagles that live in the area and I was hoping they would be there hunting the ducks. No such luck, so I captured some photos of the ducks. Shooting the Bigma handheld at full stretch with a shutter speed of 1/400 is not the easiest thing to do. I also know from my other testing of the Bigma that it is much sharper stopped down to f8.0, enough so that it's worth the hit in higher ISO or lower shutter speed. I really wanted a shot at base ISO so lowered the shutter speed even tho it put it down pretty low for handholding that much reach.

EM1 w/ Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 @ 500mm - ISO 200, 1/400 @ f8.0, handheld
Duck Duck Goose? by Phocal Art, on Flickr

As the day progressed I could no longer rely on Aperture Priority (my normal shooting mode) to keep the shutter speed high enough. I was going to switch to Shutter Priority but it typically wants to keep the aperture at wide-open and I was really wanting to shoot the lens stopped down some for the increased sharpness. So I switched it to Manual with Auto ISO, 1/800 shutter, and at 500mm an aperture of f8.0. I picked 1/800 because I can comfortably shoot that shutter speed at 500mm, would prefer faster but it's a good compromise. That is when the moose decided to show up.

I typically shoot a prime and whenever I use a zoom I always forget that when you set the aperture at anything other than wide-open it stays at that aperture as you zoom out. When I got over to the moose I had to zoom out because I was only 60 feet away and at 500mm it was way to much reach. Normally I will catch that I am only at 177mm and need to change the aperture, but when you sitting on the ground and only 60 feet from a moose there are a lot more important things to worry about. This is also why I get worked up when people talk about how using auto ISO or anything other than full manual isn't real photography or doesn't require any skill in getting the correct exposure. I am one who tends to get very close to my subjects and the less I have to worry about as far as the camera the more I can pay attention to my surroundings and subject. Guess that is a long explanation as to why I shot at f8.0. If I had caught the settings I would have shot at f5.6ish.

EM1 w/ Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 @ 177mm - ISO 1000, 1/800 @ f8.0, handheld
Moose 004 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Finally a photograph of this very strange looking bird I saw sitting in a tree.

EM1 w/ Sigma 50-500mm f4-6.3 @ 500mm - ISO 250, 1/320 @ f8.0, handheld
Jack Time by Phocal Art, on Flickr

It is not a bad lens and probably about the same (maybe a little behind) as my 75-300. It has the opposite problem of the 75-300 and is a bit to heavy for hand holding. I really need to put it up for sale because it just doesn't meet my image quality needs. I only bought it because I had never seen one for sale and when I came across it on KEH I picked it up just to see what it would do.

On my next trip to the foxes (probably tomorrow) I will take the 50-200 SWD to see how it performs on the fox. I will still have the 300/4 with me in case I catch one hunting or mating, it is matting season right now. Tonight I am thinking about taking the Voigtlander into downtown Anchorage to see what I find to photograph.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I live in a relatively "rural" part of Hong Kong, so I can still get out for walks and not be around too many people. Yesterday around sunset I finally decided to check out a route that I had been meaning to take for a while:

20200323-SunsetWalk-7-mu43.jpg
20200323-SunsetWalk-31-mu43.jpg
20200323-SunsetWalk-88-mu43.jpg

ibd

Mu-43 Veteran
I live in a relatively "rural" part of Hong Kong, so I can still get out for walks and not be around too many people. Yesterday around sunset I finally decided to check out a route that I had been meaning to take for a while:
Man, I miss HK. I've lived there for half a year. Heartbreaking to see the political developments.

If I ever need a well-priced gear item through price.com.hk, can I hit you up? :p

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Managed to get out of the house for a walk yesterday, first time in a few days and it was good to get some fresh air and sunshine! Only met one other person and managed to take a wide berth so social distancing was maintained. It's quite bleak up there, only a few small birds by way of wildlife (that I saw anyway) and some sheep.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
We've been designated as a critical company, so I'm still working. Because my particular position is slow I've decided to check up on a small project about 45 minutes away. The fun thing is it's a drive through the country and there are dozens of ways to get there. I'll be taking a different route each day.

This is day one of our 'Stay Home' order from the governor. McDonald's drive through. Looks like no one heard the news...
49695930617_446f83061f_k.jpg P1020525 by telecast, on Flickr

49695089983_66f3fae66a_k.jpg P1020535 by telecast, on Flickr

49695928667_050cb966e1_k.jpg P1020536 by telecast, on Flickr

P1020530 by telecast, on Flickr
P1020528 by telecast, on Flickr

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Got out again yesterday, went to the same place... a few more people about but only one or two so it is looking like a good and safe destination. More landscape (with windmills), more sheep (this time with lambs) but had a surprise just before we left to go home... a juvenile deer darting across in the distance. The quality on the deer pic isn't great as it was a heavy crop using my longest lens which is only the 175mm from the P45-175, but it made my day to see it!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom