Walk-around lens choice for new E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by m43man, Aug 28, 2012.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Hi all, first post here, what a wonderful forum!

Basically, I will be going on a trip in the beginning of September, but stuck in a conundrum with lens choice.

1. Originally wanted to get the Panasonic 12-35mm as "walk-around" on top on my current lens list. But it's not available until September, no go.

2. Compromising for the Olympus 12mm is also not an option, out of stock here indefinitely in Canada. (besides, who wants the Silver one when the Black one come out soon? :smile:)

3. Now I'm down to the Oly 14-150mm and Panny 14-140mm. Olympus is on sale for "only" about ~USD$465 at ** Limited Time Offer **M.Zuiko ED 14-150mm f4-5.6(Micro Four Thirds Mount) Also perfect for the E-M5 with its built-in IBIS.

4. But seeing that I will be getting the GH3 when it comes out, and from what I gather, the Panny 14-140mm seems to be better built and sharper, so is it the better lens to buy? But unfortunately, the cheapest in Canada for this lens is ~USD$835, is this still a good buy?

5. So do I go for the "cheap" Olympus lens or the Panny which is almost double the price with the current situation in Canada? I could always order from B&H for $619 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8 H-VS014140 B&H but it only has US warranty only, unlike Olympus.

6. Is still a different option that I miss? Maybe the Olympus 7-14mm? But I hear a "weather-sealed OIS" version might be coming out, so it's better to wait?

Feedback is appreciated.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I have the Panny 14-140. By μ43 standards, it's big and heavy; it works well for me on the GH2 but is less comfortable to hold on a smaller camera. If your E-M5 has "The Grip", it might be a good fit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    If you plan on getting a Panasonic body, then you want the 14-140. Expensive, heavy (480 g), OIS.

If you plan on getting an Olympus body, then you want the 14-150. Cheap, light (280 g), relies on IBIS.

They're the size length retracted but the Panasonic is wider, takes 62 mm filters vs. 58 mm filters for the Olympus.

I wouldn't really use the price difference as a criteria if you were planning on getting the 12-35 anyways. If you're looking for a lens to bridge the gap until its availability why don't you just get the kit lens for now and use a prime in low light?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Depending on the length of the trip, in your position I would consider renting a lens.

LensRentals.com - Rent Micro 4/3 > Lenses > Telephoto

That would allow you to give a real world test to a lens w/o actually purchasing it.

If the rental cost is too high then, since you're looking at a Panasonic body, I would purchase a Panasonic lens with built in stabilization which the Olympus lenses lack.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  5. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I got my 12-35 through DigitalRev, took about 2-3 days to arrive

• Like Like x 2
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Just a heads up, Saneal camera in Calgary, Alberta has all the lenses your talking about in stock including the 12-35... They will ship to Vancouver and I'd bet you can't beat their prices.

PS welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
  7. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I'm thinking I might change my name to 20mmemirabal or something like that. not your typical lens but I enjoy its flexibility and comfortability. that's my opinion. Plus its so tiny.

if it wasn't clear. I'm recommending the 20mm.

• Like Like x 1
  8. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    @crsnydertx, my E-M5 doesn't have the grip, so I guess Panny 14-140 is not a good match?

@McBob, thanks for mentioning DigitalRev, they have an awesome price on the 12-35!

@Grinch, thanks for introducing Saneal, their price is higher than DigitalRev, but I'll be checking them out for my future photography needs!

@emirabel, I thought about the Panny 20mm but afraid that it might have a refresh soon to have faster focus and weather sealing, so I'm holding out on this lens for now.

I don't have a kit lens right now, that's why I'm looking at the Panny 12-35 to complete my current lens list: Panny-Leica 25mm, Oly 45mm, Panny 100-300mm.

Finally a general question, given my above lens list, does anyone think the Panny 14-140mm or Oly 14-150mm is still necessary? The zooms seem to be amazing for video, and useful on occasions where one lens is all that I could carry. Besides, AdenCamera has an unbeatable price of $465 for the Olympus right now.

But my concern is, as "cheap" as the Olympus zoom is now, without OIS, its use is limited on Olympus bodies only in future. So is it wiser to get the Panny zoom despite almost double the price?

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've used the 14-140 extensively as a "walk-around" lens on a GX1, which is smaller than most of the cameras discussed here and obviously has no grip - no problems at all. I will also say that this lens, or at least my copy, is a lot sharper than reading reviews would generally lead you to believe.

The other lens I've used a lot that way is the Oly 12-50 kit lens. Having 12mm at the wide end is (to me) a big plus. I'd be on the fence between the two, but if forced to choose one, well....I was going to say 14-140, but it's really a coin-toss.

• Like Like x 1
  10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I don't have an E-M5; it would be good to hear from someone who has used that combination.

Part of it depends on your preferred style of holding the camera. If you like to hold the camera with only one hand, the balance may become an issue. If you're comfortable with keeping your left hand under the lens, the weight and center of gravity should be manageable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I will be going on a trip later this year, and I am going to use 20mm as I found most of the zoom lenses to be too bulky and slow. With the 20mm I often shoot at f2 and iso800 or less.

• Like Like x 1
  12. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    To answer your question, I don't think 14-140 or -150 is necessary with your existing lineup of lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've used it extensively on both the OM-D and the GX1 - works great on the tiny and gripless GX1, works even better on the OM-D (which I use with the Oly grip). I haven't used it on the OM-D without the grip, but under the circumstances, at least for me, I can't imagine that it wouldn't work brilliantly.

• Like Like x 2
  14. flojoto

flojoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    I also used the 14-140 on the OMD with and without grip, both work, but with the grip it is way more comfortable. But in the end that's true for all lenses even with the tiny P 14 I enjoy the big grip, without even the landscape grip the camera just feels so tiny. Coming from a G1 I didn't like the feeling at all. So get the grip if you can, it doesn't make the camera way bigger but changes the handling dramatically. I know the price is heavy, but it is so pleasant and if you got an OMD I'm sure you want something that is fun to shoot.

Apart from that regarding the lenses. Stick with your Plan of getting the 12-35. Any supezoom is for sure no alternative to that. And there are rumors about a new weather sealed 14-140 coming with the GH3 maybe and about an µ43 version of the Oly 12-60 f2.8-4 so you will probably be frustrated if any of that comes true.

I am personally thinking about selling my 14-140 in favor of a 100-300 at the moment. I have the Panasonic 14+25+45 primes and don't see much use for the slow and big 14-140 with it's decent but for sure not great IQ. If you just need a better wide-angle, invest in the cheap P 14 (no real IQ difference to the O12 but a third of the price) or just get the P7-14 or O9-18 which give you the real deal.

I love my 7-14, it's an awesome lens and you can tinker yourself a filter thread and use it with Cokin-Z and some HiTech or Lee filters as the ultimate landscape tool.

• Like Like x 1
  15. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    @flojoto, thanks for pointing out the rumors on new weather sealed 14-140 and Olym 12-60. Would anybody still lean towards the Panny 12-35mm if both lenses were available soon? The 12-60mm range just seems more useful, especially for video, not to mention Oly's legendary quality on the regular 12-60mm lens. I would seriously question myself why I didn't wait a while longer to get 12-60mm.

I have the 100-300, 25, 45, just love the combination. I had the 14mm briefly, just couldn't getting used to the corner softness. As for P7-14 or O9-18, I also can't decided on which one, fearing that a new "weather-sealed" version of a version with filter thread is coming soon. Besides, for true wide-angle landscape needs, I would rely on either the Nikon 14-24 and Zeiss 21mm that I am planning to get for my DSLR. Is anyone else in the same conundrum on this one?

16. flojoto

flojoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    It's just FT2-3 rumors though (check out 43 Rumors) and they might very well never come true. But hopefully we will know a bit more after photokina.

I think it would just be logical if olympus will also through some high quality zooms to the market soon . I am most certainly looking forward to hopefully making on of them my first Oly-lens :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    @flojoto, I've been debating about the 7-14 for the longest time. My thinking is that if I really wanted the "ultimate landscape tool", why not just get a Zeiss wide angle for my Nikon D800E? Especially the sensors in the M43 are not able to take advantage of the full resolution of this amazing lens yet. Maybe next generation?

But if I decide based on size and portability, then we're going back to the age-old question of whether weight or quality is more important. For long hikes, I could definitely see myself with E-M5 and 7-14 to save on the weight. But for the ultimate/best/most detailed/amazing/sharpest image possible, the Nikon 14-24 and D800E is unbeatable. But for city walk-arounds or just general travel, yeah the M43 system is perfect!

Of course in the end it depends also on how much my wallet could afford :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    @strang, if you don't think the 14-140, or 14-150 is necessary with my existing lineup after acquiring the 12-35mm, do you see a "hole" or "gap" in it? I'm thinking either the 60mm, 75mm or 7-14mm. What do you think?

19. flojoto

flojoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    The Nikon D800 has amazing specs. If I'd ever go back to SLR it would definitely my choice, the sensor-resolution of a MF with the lens-range an affordability of a FF. But at the moment that is way out of reach of my student budget and I prefer having something more portable and an EVF (definitely prefer this way of shooting).

But yeah probably it doesn't make sense to have an ultra wide angle on both systems, it's such a specialized and expensive lens, that it's not worth having it various times.

• Like Like x 1
  20. oldcarrot

oldcarrot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012
    Less expensive Oly 14-150

• Like Like x 1