Waiting for the Olympus E-P3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Olympus E-P2, introduced November 2009​

With the Panasonic announcements coming tomorrow morning and pictures of the Panasonic GF3 and Pana Leica 25/1.4 now circulating courtesy of 43 Rumors, there has been a mixed reaction to the changes being implemented by Panasonic.

A number of our members have bemoaned the miniaturization and removal of tactile controls from the GF3, while others see it as a natural evolution for Panasonic's most mass market-driven line. At the same time, the G3 seems to be a upgrade of the G1/2 line which retains and builds upon features important to enthusiasts, yet even that camera has a couple less tactile controls than before and certainly makes no effort to appeal to the desire for old school camera simplicity which the Fuji X100 taps into so effectively.

My thoughts now turn to Olympus. As others including Thom Hogan have pointed out, Olympus's vision for the future of their Micro 4/3 products is not as apparent as is Panasonic's. There is less to separate the E-P and E-PL lines than there is to separate Panasonic's increasingly divergent G and GF lines.

Surely Olympus must have a line, whether E-PL or a rumored "mini" line, which targets the core mass market. Yet from the beginning, Olympus also struck a chord with the same enthusiast crowd that finds itself drawn to the Fuji. Perhaps it's the retro styling of the Pen, or maybe it's the long heritage of excellence for which Olympus film cameras are known. As someone with XA, Stylus Epic, and OM cameras in my closet, I feel like I have had money in hand for the right Pen since the announcement of the E-P1.

Meanwhile, rumors about the E-P3 remain thin. I've been getting occasional anonymous messages, most of which were along the lines of the one I shared two weeks ago (link). In general, they indicate that the E-P3 will not have an integrated EVF.

Meanwhile, Olympus has sent a strong and consistent message not to expect a "Pen Pro" just yet. From the Olympus fan page on Facebook via 1001 Noisy Cameras:

On the other hand, it has been a long 18 months since the Olympus E-P2 announcement, and Olympus is widely rumored to be hosting a two-day event at the end of June. That in itself raises the likelihood that we will see a product of significance to our system, whether "pro" or not.

I'll end by sharing an anonymous (Grade C) tip sent to me this morning:

Although short on information, I'm hoping the above tip will prove to be true. We would love to get some more specific information from any of the folks who have been lucky enough to get their hands on an E-P3 or E-P3 prototype. You can send us information using this link. Name and email are not required.

Rumor Evidence Grading System:
    A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 6
  2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Not that I'll be buying it, but natural curiosity and my history with Olympus means I'm looking forward to whatever they release - in this day and age, it amazes me that they manage to keep so much secret until actual release. You'd think someone out of the hundreds of people that must be involved in a new camera body would want to make themselves an anonymous Internet hero and spill the beans in advance!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Predicting is hard to do, especially about the future.

Given the fact the E-P2 has been in stock for so long, I would say it was not a great success for Olympus. If Olympus wants to keep a high-end mirrorless compact on the market, they will uses this opportunity to make cosmetic changes and maybe some minor technology changes to the E-P2 and release the E-P3.

Cameras like the E-P1 and X100 that make a splash tend to fill a vacuum for consumer desires. However, after the initial hit, the demand falls way off as most people who want one, have one. A follow-up release tends not to have to have the same impact.

Why are their no camera company employees that want to be an "internet hero"? First and foremost, it is loyalty. Not to the company as such, but the friends and colleagues they work with. Also, not everyone who is in the business are camera enthusiasts. If you want to kick an ice cream or coffee habit, work at Dairy Queen or Starbuck.

Lastly, camera companies watch forums. One department had spotted someone who posted very interesting information about our production schedule on a popular camera site. We followed his posts and determined he was not from the company, but rather someone who had made some lucky guesses--he started to talk about internal procedures only an insider would know and they were complete nonsense. Unfortunately, someone trusted him and ask about a certain product availability, he got it wrong as the product was very much available. BTW, our company would not challenge internet fakes.

I could be wrong about the E-P3.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Predicting the past is much easier ... I get roughly half of my past predictions right.

Hikari wrong??? Never!

I hope Olympus delivers a 'pro' model and a system of fast lenses to back it up.

5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Hey, I am always right, but sometime Olympus does not read my posts. It is like they have a mind of their own.
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Some companies never learn.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Quite a few of us "Olympians" :biggrin: are waiting & hoping for the E-P3 to become a "new" camera & not just a modified E-P2 :rolleyes:
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    After losing my E-PL1 while on vacation, my investment in micro four-thirds has been totally for Panasonic cameras and lenses. But, like Amin, I continue to have a warm spot in my heart for Olympus and I am only waiting for the right Pen to appear before adding Oly gear to my kit. Clearly the E-PL series is the volume product for Oly but I hope the company sees a market opportunity with the E-P series when it comes to more traditional enthusiasts. There has to be a role for such a camera between the consumer E-PL series and the hoped-for "pro" micro four-thirds camera.
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Do we have an actual predictions thread?
    Here's mine : E-P3 = E-P2 with E-pL2 processing & a new subtle body colour. That's it. :cool:
  10. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Olympus are known for taking small steps rather than large jumps...... it doesn't mean they make bad kit though.... :smile:
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    So if they have a two-day release event, do you think the E-PL2 processing will be the day 1 announcement, or will that be the new subtle body color? :tongue:
  12. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Exciting times ahead :cool:

I think there are very, very few people who would a) have played with a prototype and b) dared to email that teaser Amin... Can't be long until we get the reveal via 43rumors, considering recent history.

• Like Like x 1
  13. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    We almost need a Bingo Card akin to the Jobsian MacWorld keynote cards ->

• Like Like x 1
  14. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Ha ha! I love it!
  15. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Nice touch with the Newton!
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I think they'll also do the weaker AA filter (as with the EPL series).

I agree that's what's LIKELY to happen.

I HOPE they also have a much better LCD, a dedicated MF assist button (without losing the thumb wheel), return to normal view after shutter half-press. Of course, an improved sensor would really be great, but I just can't see it. Hope I'm wrong!
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    My biggest fear is that the rumors are completely off-base, and there's NO event at the end of June! Remember, it was supposedly early June to begin with? Sorry to be such a pessimist, but I'm a Boston sports fan -- it comes with the territory :)
  18. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Want to trade the Red Sox for the Pirates ????:rofl:
  19. rcferraris

rcferraris Mu-43 Regular

I agree with you about the dedicated MF assist button. but i would also rather have them simulate a split screen focus screen that was used on old SLR's, that way there won't be any need to zoom in. I sent that to Olympus just for the heck of it. :smile:

also Hope they change both the shutter and aperture thumb dials. i find it rather small. placing the aperture dial behind the lens would be nice (much like the old lenses).

and maybe remove the mode dial. replace it with an internal speedlite or place another hot shoe for external speedlite to be used along side the EVF
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Even opera is better than a baseball fan in SoCal:

Angels are lousy, Dodgers are awful, Padres are worse ...