1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waiting for my new E-PL2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HeatherWB, Apr 1, 2013.

1. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    I just bought an E-PL2 + kit lens for $299 from Adorama. I've been curious about 4/3s, so I figured that this is a good inexpensive way to try it out. :)

I've been struggling to maintain any sort of photo mojo over the last couple of years and I'm hoping this will break me of it. I have a Pentax K5 and compliment of nice lenses, but carrying that all around gets heavy--the K5 + Sigma 17-70 is over 2 pounds! That alone discourages me from taking it places.

I enjoy landscape, macro, travel and architectural photography.

If I were to absolutely fall in love with this camera, dumping the Pentax gear and picking up an OM-D wouldn't be out of the question.

I figure that the best camera is the one that you actually use. Sensor size isn't everything. Heck, I posted a pic I took and processed with my iPad to FB and got more compliments that I had expected. It's the photographer behind the camera that makes the image. :biggrin:

At any rate, I'm looking forward to learning more about how to get the most out of my new toy.

Heather :)

2. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Welcome, I too have a recently purchased EPL2, a refurb from Cameta, and I loooove it. Of course I also have a G3 I'd bought last year which is also a great camera. Just wait until you start putting a few legacy lenses on the EPL2, that's where the fun really begins.

The Olympus is a fun camera and takes fabulous photos.

3. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Gratulations on your purchase. Used an E-PL2 (which was a sidegrade back then from 1st gen Panasonic cameras) for some time before I upgraded to an OM-D some 2 weeks ago.
    I think for your tasks (
    ) the E-PL2 is a fine piece.
    I found it a bit restricting for "snapshots" like street and people at family gatherings where fast operation of your gear is paramount or you'll miss precious moments. There are hardly any external controls and the one dial is very flimsy at best. I ended up using legacy Olympus lenses, set the camera to spot metering with a constant EC of at least +1.0, and was in charge of focusing and changing aperture. All much quicker than I could do with the camera's electronic controls. It's a whole other ballpark with the OM-D, mind you.
    Also shadow noise can get very obtrusive if not handled well before taking shots (e.g. through ETTR techniques, because there isn't really any leeway with the 12mp sensors when it comes to opening shadows) or proper exposing for highlights/ shadows. Both DR and detail will quickly drop to unpleasant values once you leave base ISO, and it's really noisy as soon as ISO 400, but again, with your sutations in mind you won't leave base anyway right?
    However, since your E-PL2 will be put to use in moreless controlled shooting situations, it will perform very well. Just do yourself a favor and get an adapter to use your fine Pentax primes (50 and 100) instead of the kit lens.

Know to work around its limitations and it is still a very capable piece of equipment.

4. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    Hmm...an adapter is definitely a lot cheaper than shelling out for a dedicated m4/3 macro. :)

The Oly is definitely not going to replace the Pentax. The K5 is definitely an improvement over the older Pentax DSLRS that I've used, especially in AF capability. Even with the slower AF of the older Pentax bodies, I was able to work around it.i should be able to do the same with the Oly.

If I were to replace the Pentax, it would be with the OM-D.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum - the E-PL2 is a fine camera, enjoy!

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I must say that I thoroughly enjoy my E-PL2 :smile:

7. jglover

jglover Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 28, 2010
    Naperville, IL
    I'm in the same situation as you, the K5 and the lenses just got too heavy. At one point I had three Pentax bodies (K5, K-x and K20D). I've slowly swapped out the Pentax gear for MFT as I really enjoy having a full kit that weighs less than my K5 and Tamron 17-50! :)

I'll keep the K5 though as it is a fabulous camera and there are times when I need its capabilities over what my Olys can provide for me. But when packing up a camera and a couple lenses to take along everyday on my commute to and from work, the MFT cameras can't be touched. for everything but my really critically needs, they give me more than enough in terms of quality. Enjoy your new camera and definitely invest in a P-K to MFT converter, as you'll have a nice 200mm equivalent macro....price out the current FA*200 macro from Pentax and then compare it to the price of the converter! :)

Have fun!

8. homerusan

homerusan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    izmir, TURKEY
    the sensor is get hot very quickly thus occurs hot pixels and in additional you can get red-dots in some angles while shooting directly to the light source... in spite of these kind of promblems, its insanely a great camera. i never think to sell mine.

9. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    YAYY!! I just got the shipping notice! :biggrin:

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Great camera - produces superb results and very good colours - one of my very favourite cameras ever !
    Hope you enjoy it
    Regards
    Rob

11. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    The EPL2 should be waiting for me when I get home from work tomorrow! WHEEEE... :biggrin:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

12. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Excellent, give us a blow by blow as you take it out of the box. :smile:

Actually I'm anxious to hear your first impressions.

13. HeatherWB

HeatherWB Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    N. Central Florida
    Heather
    fb4be8c861ba737f34623114046390a6_zps668e5d50.

It's here!

Of course I can't actually use it until the battery is charged, but I can still play around with it until then. It feels solid for such a small camera and while there is a lot of plastic in the lens, it doesn't feel cheap. I get the feeling that this camera will be easy to learn. :)

More later...

14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    first time olympus user will get very confuse of oly's menu system, you can find many useful information on this site.