1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wait for the (rumored) Oly fast zoom or buy the Pany 12-35 now?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by briloop, Mar 1, 2013.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
  2. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    If you need the lens, get it now. Olympus lenses are still rumors and no one knows when they will be actually available specially given the fact that there are no confirmation of their existence.

3. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011
    Got the Pany and love the lens...
    Oly or Pany make no difference to me as long as IQ is there...And it is...

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Given I don't need the lenses now, I'd wait to see. I'm somewhat hoping they bring their f/2 zooms to m43 mount =) But that would solidify me buying Panasonic because no doubt that would be costly.

5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I'd definitely buy the 12-35mm, as I have one available. :p

6. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    Mark
    One reason to wait (if they happen) is that they may be cheaper, no in lens IS

7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I'd wait, but really- that Panasonic is a great lens from everything I've seen, and if you get it now you won't be disappointed. As merosen said, your pocket book might hurt a little if the Oly is cheaper.

8. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Also without IS the Olympus would likely be smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  9. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Olympus has some room to sell a crap load of zooms. Something equivalent in IQ to the Fuji 18-55mm for around the same price ($600 ish) would sell very well.

10. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Nobody knows what Oly will offer and when. If it turns out to be a 12-60mm and you don't need a longer fast zoom, it could be worth waiting. But if it's a 12 or 14 to 35 or 40 then it's unlikely you'd gain anything by waiting. And since we don't know, the possible upside from deferring is very speculative.

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The way Olympus does things they will announce it and then a month or more later it will actually be out{if you pre-ordered}. It often takes 4-6 months before the demand is fully supplied. If you can wait then it might be worth it. BUT we don't yet know what it will be except for a fast zoom. I personally am hoping it will be a 12 - 60mm or similar. The Panasonic stopping at 35mm puts me off big time!

12. oly18

oly18 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    I am waiting too... you could also get a used Olympus 14-54 ver II with adapter for less than half the price of the panasonic 12-35 and has a larger zoom range. Also almost as fast f2.8-3.5 Works fairly well. About same speed focussing as the 20mm pancake.

13. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    It could really take a long while before those pro lenses from Oly becomes widely available. The Panny zooms are a good choice.

14. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    If I knew the Olympus zoom, I would be able to give sound advice. But since nothing is known about that lens (we don't even know, if there will be a fast zoom by Olympus), the only advice one can give, is to buy what you need and the best you can afford and the best which exists.

15. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    You could get it and if the olympus then looks better to you you can sell the panny. Lenses hold their value very well

16. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I have no patience for rumors and can't get good shots with rumors either. i went ahead and bought the Panny. If you need it, buy it. Don't wait for what might someday be.

17. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I'm interested as to what the main driver is for a faster zoom. I also have the 12-50 but have chosen a different route.

For example my thought process goes as follows:- Unlike most kit lenses you already have the 12mm end covered (at almost as fast as the pana) and at that end of the zoom it's sharp enough but does suffer from barrel distortion (but I'm told so does the Pana at 12mm). At the other end - Then yes it's not so hot but for less the the zoom you could have both the P25mm f1.4 and O45mm f1.8 that will give stunning results and are even faster. Alternatively if wide angle is your thing then Oly 12mm f2 (very little barrel distortion) and P25 f1.4 perhaps.

If the Pana was 12-60 @ 2.8 then perhaps I might have considered it but at only 12-35 for me it's too limiting - but as my 45mm was effectively free, I have bought a P14mm and will order the P25mm f1.4 soon then just need the money for a O75mm

18. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    As folks have said, if you need it now, buy it now. It's a really great lens, and I'm saying that from experience. Also, don't hang your hat on the Olympus lens, if and when it comes out, on being cheaper. Olympus is not known for their budget prices- even if they omit IS. Look at the 75-300 lens. Sure, it's got a little extra reach on the slow end as compared with the Panasonic 100-300, but it's more expensive despite being slower, having no lens hood, and missing out on built in IS that would help when you go to sell the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    I wish they would come out with something in the middle of the 2 pant lenses . Something like a 20-80. 2.8. Weather sealed, and reasonable sized and priced .

20. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    There have been very few f/2. 8 zooms with a zoom range of more than 3:1, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for a 12-60 or even a 20-80. Not that I wouldn't like a 12-60 ... :)