1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Wait for me dady ..

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jsusilo, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012

Attached Files:

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amazing photo. Very powerful.

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Looks like fun, but it's not. One of the really sad images, of the realities in life.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Great picture. Being slightly out of focus does not detract from the image at all.

5. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Very rarely an image can give me a pause ... and this one is certainly give me that .. perhaps the history and hard reality of it ... sort of a reminder some things we often take for granted.

6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    That was the last time he saw him.

7. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Quite emotional. As father of four this one rose tears in my eyes. And even more now when my younger son is doing his military service. He will be absolutely fine and only in modest danger, we still live in peace. But anyway reminds why we have military service and what we are learning there.

Really, really sad one.

8. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Really amazing. Thanks for posting here.

9. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    from the story link.
    ---------------------------------------

Jack Bernard was one of the many soldiers leaving behind families to serve in Second World War, and on that day, was marching down a New Westminster street as the crowds waved farewell.

Not content with being left behind, Bernard’s five-year-old son Warren burst free from his mother Bernice’s protective hold and chased after his father, fingers spread apart and arm outreached.

It was at that moment that Dettloff snapped the now famous photo.

The snapshot ran in the paper the following day and was soon seen around the world. Life Magazine named the image its “photo of the week” and other newspapers and magazines began featuring the photo as well.

It soon become known as the Canadian equivalent of the famous V-Day shot of a sailor kissing a nurse in New York’s Times Square.

Bernard then returned from war some four years later and Dettloff was there to capture the joyful reunion between father and son as well.

10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Actually it's not :smile::smile:

11. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I know. I was just dramatising it. As so many didn't return.

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Powerful. So much emotion, so much story, all captured in a fraction of a second. I love photography.

Gary

13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    These days it would be live colour video from a helmet cam or Google Glas-mask.

14. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    I like that ending better .... :smile:

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This image is a stirring reminder that all of the technical aspects of photography that we obsess over so much here (e.g. sharpness, nailing the focus, etc.) all pale when it comes to capturing the "decisive moment". Thanks for sharing.