Wait! ANOTHER Olympus camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, May 16, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
  2. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Have you heard anything about a pro Pen, or is this wishful thinking? If it's the latter, you wouldn't be alone! ;)
  3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I am assuming it is the new XZ-2 & 75mm, with new PEN's coming later in the year...
  4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    I've read in several case, that Olympus officials have stated that a Pen with integrated viewfinder is certainly not out of the question. If the Pen line is to be continued, it makes sense that they'll create a version with more pro features.

Financial problems and scandals aside, my assumption is Olympus has a bottom to top plan for their cameras. I think they will move soon to three lines of :43:: a consumer to prosumer line (Pens), the OM line (prosumer to "almost" pro) and a full professional line to replace their older Four Thirds. These will probably overlap in a significant number of features but this is certainly a viable marketing strategy anyway. :smile:
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Now that I read the rumor again, it says about a new Four Thirds camera. This line's update was long overdue anyway.
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I wonder how a PEN with integrated EVF would be positioned vis-a-vis the OM-D. Would the PEN not get the 16MP sensor? What about 5-axis IBIS? I can't imagine they'd let the OM-D be distinguished by weather-sealing and styling alone?
  7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    The 5 axis IBIS will belong to the E-M5 only (there' no physical room in the PEN body) and probably the new Four Thirds camera that will be announced shortly.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I wouldn't bet on it. Olympus updates their high-end DSLRs only once every 3-4 years and the E-5 isn't even two years old. They're also trying to merge the 2 lines, and a new 4/3 body just pushes that goal further away.

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    This is my thought; perhaps a spelling mishap in 43rumors report, where they meant to write :43:.

But I sincerely don't see a true pro level :43: coming this year. There are simply not enough features to add, due to current technology constraints, to make it more appealing to pros than the OM-D already is.

By high end pro I mean features as:

• full weather sealing (there are not enough lenses to complement this yet)

• a better sensor (Panasonic is allegedly working on one) with lower noise at

• very high ISO

• more resolution perhaps close to 20Mp

• better image processors

• dual card slots

• a higher resolution EVF

All this should have to wait perhaps for 2013. The next :43: from Olympus will be a Pen, I think.
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    And grip too. Supposedly the 5 axis IBIS fits in the hump so that might be the main limiting factor for the Pen design.
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My bet is an ep-5, which will be basically an ep-3 with the new sensor and touch screen. And probably an epl-5, and maybe a new pen mini.
  12. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I concur. I don't see Olympus doing anything revolutionary in the PEN line except a sensor upgrade (which is long overdue). I would be more than happy to purchase a new PEN with exactly the same specs as the E-P3, except with the addition of the new 16 MP sensor found in the OM-D. Bring it on, says I!
  13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I agree, probably using the same sensor as the GF5.

Although I think, EP5 will come later, maybe with the EM5 sensor.
  14. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    This is curious! I wonder why they launch new PEN to cpmpere OMD....
  15. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Anther +1 for this from me. Four Olympus m4/3 lines already seems like too many to this observer (especially considering Panasonic's other four lines!)...