1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wait! ANOTHER Olympus camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, May 16, 2012.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
  2. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Have you heard anything about a pro Pen, or is this wishful thinking? If it's the latter, you wouldn't be alone! ;) 

3. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I am assuming it is the new XZ-2 & 75mm, with new PEN's coming later in the year...

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I've read in several case, that Olympus officials have stated that a Pen with integrated viewfinder is certainly not out of the question. If the Pen line is to be continued, it makes sense that they'll create a version with more pro features.

Financial problems and scandals aside, my assumption is Olympus has a bottom to top plan for their cameras. I think they will move soon to three lines of :43:: a consumer to prosumer line (Pens), the OM line (prosumer to "almost" pro) and a full professional line to replace their older Four Thirds. These will probably overlap in a significant number of features but this is certainly a viable marketing strategy anyway. :smile:

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Now that I read the rumor again, it says about a new Four Thirds camera. This line's update was long overdue anyway.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I wonder how a PEN with integrated EVF would be positioned vis-a-vis the OM-D. Would the PEN not get the 16MP sensor? What about 5-axis IBIS? I can't imagine they'd let the OM-D be distinguished by weather-sealing and styling alone?

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    The 5 axis IBIS will belong to the E-M5 only (there' no physical room in the PEN body) and probably the new Four Thirds camera that will be announced shortly.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't bet on it. Olympus updates their high-end DSLRs only once every 3-4 years and the E-5 isn't even two years old. They're also trying to merge the 2 lines, and a new 4/3 body just pushes that goal further away.

DH

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is my thought; perhaps a spelling mishap in 43rumors report, where they meant to write :43:.

But I sincerely don't see a true pro level :43: coming this year. There are simply not enough features to add, due to current technology constraints, to make it more appealing to pros than the OM-D already is.

By high end pro I mean features as:

• full weather sealing (there are not enough lenses to complement this yet)

• a better sensor (Panasonic is allegedly working on one) with lower noise at

• very high ISO

• more resolution perhaps close to 20Mp

• better image processors

• dual card slots

• a higher resolution EVF

All this should have to wait perhaps for 2013. The next :43: from Olympus will be a Pen, I think.

10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    And grip too. Supposedly the 5 axis IBIS fits in the hump so that might be the main limiting factor for the Pen design.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    My bet is an ep-5, which will be basically an ep-3 with the new sensor and touch screen. And probably an epl-5, and maybe a new pen mini.

12. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    I concur. I don't see Olympus doing anything revolutionary in the PEN line except a sensor upgrade (which is long overdue). I would be more than happy to purchase a new PEN with exactly the same specs as the E-P3, except with the addition of the new 16 MP sensor found in the OM-D. Bring it on, says I!

13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    I agree, probably using the same sensor as the GF5.

Although I think, EP5 will come later, maybe with the EM5 sensor.

14. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    This is curious! I wonder why they launch new PEN to cpmpere OMD....

15. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Anther +1 for this from me. Four Olympus m4/3 lines already seems like too many to this observer (especially considering Panasonic's other four lines!)...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.