Waist style pack for event photography. What do you use?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by So Thankful, Feb 1, 2016.

1. So Thankful

So Thankful Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I am looking for a waist style pack that will hold a body with grip, three lenses and a flash. I think the Think Tank options are all to big.
    What do some of you folks use?

2. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I just ordered a cosyspeed bag. They work on a belt and are designed for mirrorless. It hasn't arrived yet but might in the next few days (it was an indigogo project, but they already have other bags on sale). Might work for you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Think Tank Speed Demon should be just right. Unless those lenses are huge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Would be helpful to know which 3 lenses & the flash size.

Depending on the sizes, you may be trying to get too much into a single hip pack. I've used several lumbar packs & love them. My most recent is this one: Amazon.com : Tamrac 3458 Rally 58 Photo Hip Pack - Black : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo
    I've carried an E-M1 & 4 lenses + stuff in it. And the E-M1 w/ 12-40mm zoom & grip will fit in the middle just right.

Each of the 3 silos has a velcro padded trap door in the bottom allowing you to stack a couple smaller lenses in a single silo. So if you are using a couple primes & a zoom & the flash isn't huge, it would work as is.

But if your stuff is bigger, you could add a belt pocket of the necessary size to give you more capacity & still have everything at your waist.

5. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I am looking at carrying a E-M5 MK II with a grip. The lenses I own are all primes and smaller zooms. 12-50 EZ and 14-150 II. The flash is a FL-600r.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6. Chazworth

Chazworth Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 12, 2012
    Colorado (USA)
    Charlie
    I use a Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney to hold two M43 cameras. It is minimal, but works great. I sometimes use a belt, and sometimes use the shoulder strap. I also have a Think Tank Speed Changer for hiking with two cameras or more items than will fit in the Hubba Hubba Hiney.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  7. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    +1 on the Hubba Hubba Hiney. I can carry an E-M1, 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8 and either the 9-18 or a small 1.8 prime. Plus extra batteries, etc. I always use the shoulder strap and have never put it on a belt. With all the gear in the bag, it's snug, but obviously the camera and one lens are out when I'm shooting.

If I need more room, I'll put a Skin 50 on my belt.

8. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    another +1 for the Hubba Hiney. :) I wear it on a gaffer's belt.
    (You can always add an additional lens changer pouch if need be.)

I used the Speed Demon before but that was ultimately just a little bit too big for hiking.

Maybe have a look at those two, to see if one fits your needs.

9. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    My old Sunpack flash is 6.5" long when opened flat. Only says the FL-600r is 4.1" but I'm sure that's when its bent. So I'm guessing you'll want a bag that has a 6" or so interior depth.

Just tried it & the Tamrac bag I have will easily hold flash, E-M5m2 w/ grip + 12-50mm & 14-150. Can probably squeeze a f1.8 prime under a trapdoor in one of the silos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Would the Hubba Hiney hold the E-M5 MK II with the grip and a lens attached?

11. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    You might also look at Lowepro Inverse 200 AW & 100 AW. I bought the Tamrac after many years of use wore out my Lowpro PhotoRunner. These have a dual zipper so have a bigger opening. The Tamrac has a permiter zipper around 3/4ths of the lid so it opens wide too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    With the battery grip? That might be a bit too tight. The Speed Demon could be better then.
    I'm using it with the EM5 (mk1) and Fotodiox grip and it's a little fiddly (the Hubba Hiney just has a centre zipper.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tilman Paulin

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Yup, these are worth a look too. I think they're comparable to the Speed Demon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Thanks for the help.

15. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    Have looked at the Lowepro Inverse packs. They might be an option.

16. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    If anyone has pics of any of these bags with m4/3 gear in them and would be willing to post them I would really appreciate it.

17. I've become a fan of lumbar packs myself and have had good luck with the Mountainsmith items. The one I use is the Kinetic TLS, but I'm not toting as much as you wish to. Their whole line is changing and they have some that are larger and may work for you. Many of their packs are more square in shape than a standard fanny pack, which can help be more accommodating of camera gear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I have seen a couple of them on B&H site.

19. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Can't get photos done 'til tomorrow.

My experience is all these & similar packs will work for you given their dimensions. The 2 biggest issues I've found are:
    -how much other "stuff" am I carrying & how does the bag hold it.
    -how wide does the bag open so I don't have to pry the gear out.

Now that I use a pano head often, I sewed on a small pocket to the Tamrac bag to hold the head.

Every lumbar bag will mold around you making it harder to get stuff out. That's what makes big openings helpful. Bags w/ a single zipper down the middle make it harder to find small stuff & to get big stuff out.

• Like Like x 1
  20. So Thankful

Jun 9, 2015
    Midwest
    I appreciate any shots you can get. Thank you kindly.