1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Waist Pack: National Geographic, Think Tank?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Julia, May 27, 2013.

1. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Hi guys,

I am looking to see if anyone of you us using a National Geographic Waist Pack with a mFT body and lenses?

Model 1

Model 2

Being a woman, I don't want any huge waist packs and from what I've seen so far, this one would be perfect in size. I have a G3, the Oly 9-18 and maybe in the future the Oly 45. My goal is to carry the lenses and camera in the waist pack, maybe even a spare battery, and so not have to carry a backpack.

I tried literally every kind of backpack, slingback etc and I dislike them all. They get heavy, in the summer they are especially uncomfortable. I really want to transfer carrying the camera equipment from my back/shoulder to the waist.

I also looked at the Think Tank system, which allows you to add certain pouches to a special belt, but it does seem rather bulky. Call me vain, but when doing a city trip in a dress, I think I'd feel rather self conscious putting that on :redface:

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Julia, the problem is going to be the front-to-back dimension. It is given as 5cm, that's too small IMO, even for the collpased 9-18. I have a belt bag fron NG for my X100 and the material doesn't 'give' much, so I don't think you can squeeze your gear in.

I wanted something similar, and ended up buying a small waist pack from an outdoor/mountaineering shop. It's not padded, but if the pack is on my waist, I feel it's protected enough.

I also have a Hadley Digital shoulder bag: small, expensive, but very light, Room enough for an E-M5 with 9-18 plus two small or one large extra lens. Sieht auch schick aus!

LG aus Dortmund!

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Julia, I agree with Ron regarding the 5cm dimension. The possibility of carrying your camera in a 5cm pouch is if the lens is removed completely (which certainly is an option but means that you have to take time to install the lens when you find a photo op). I use a lot of Think Tank products (most of which were acquired form my big Nikon DSLRs and most sit unused now, but the smaller pieces/pouches get a considerable amount of use and most of those are unpadded (which I prefer).

4. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Thank you so much, BigTam and slothead! I had no real concept of how big/small the waist pack was, so your replies give me a pretty clear picture and you are both right: it's not what I'm looking for.

I'll try to find a nice photo shop here and check out what they have for Think Tank products and I guess I'll also hit the outdoor stores :)

Again, thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Julie, two points:

1) Most of your photo choices are going to be boring black. If you can sew, just make what you want. The webbing and materials you need are easily available (for example strapworks.com, plastic-buckle.com, seattlefabrics.com) in many colors. None are so heavy that a standard home sewing machine cannot handle them.

2) You are right to look at "non-photo" bags. I have several. Here is one that might work: Snugpak Response Pak Waistpack Nylon IMHO the need for padding in our bags is overrated. I, for one, do not roll my camera bag down flights of concrete steps. But if you want a little padding for a non-photo bag, go to an upholstery supply shop and buy a little closed-cell foam in 1/2" or less thickness. Then cut and place the foam strategically in the bag, maybe using a hot glue gun to hold it as you want.

6. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I would suggest a mountainsmith lumbar pack. I have a tour, and it may be too big for what you are looking for, but they have different sizes that could accommodate your gear.

7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Julia!

There are also, if you want a functional dorky look, photo vests:

Amazon.com: Dot Line Corp. Stone-Washed Photo Vest (Gray, Medium): Everything Else

I have a Domke left over from my Nikon days and it's comfortable to wear, holds a lot of stuff (you could ditch the diaper bag and the purse, the Domke holds so much), distributes the weight well if properly packed, and doesn't bang into things like a backpack.

The downside is...the look. It puts "casual" into a whole new category :biggrin:.

Less expensive alternatives lie in the "fishing vest" rather than "photography vest" category. Both offer multiple storage pockets.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

Jim

8. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    @mcumeda: Thanks for the tip. Doesn't look like amazon.de has them, but you gave me the idea to check out if Wolfskin has anything similar. Will invade the local dealer this weekend to see what they have.

@Fmrvette: You just made me laugh ... "It puts casual into a whole new category." Very true indeed. But again, great idea! Didn't even consider a vest before. For event photography, this is brilliant! Thanks!

@oldracer: The idea of just making my own is neat (apart from the fact that I can't do anything besides basic needle work, sadly). But since my birthday is coming up and my mom wanted to know what I want (and she's one heck of a wizard with a sewing machine), this is something I need to look into. I guess I need to know exactly what kind of pouches etc. I need and then my mom can sew this for me.

Thanks to all of you for the inspiration, truly grateful for the feedback here!

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    You might want to look at the new Mirrorless Movers - they have the ability to be attached to a belt. I have the MM20 - it is small yet holds a body and 5 lenses. Took it hiking last week. The MM10 might be just what you need.

Mirrorless Movers

(the above link if for mu43 users and gets you a nice gift if you spend over $50).

10. Domke F-5XA or XB

Both have the option of using as a belt bag. Slot on the backside to run the belt of your choice through.

Exterior dimensions:
    XA: 8" x 4.5" x7.25"
    XB:10"x4.5" x7.25"

I use both the XB & larger XC, but only as a shoulder bag. Canvas & thin flexible padding makes for a soft feel.

11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
  12. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Oh my gosh, guys, I'm so embarrassed! Upon reading your last replies, I googled the bag that I'm using right now to show what I didn't want, but then saw a product picture that made me realize I can carry my Kata bag on a belt as well as by a shoulder strap!

Kata Bag

KT_DL_DC_431_pres_0004_P4.

And I always wondered why on earth the two straps at the back of the bag where so ... small. I thought they were for a monopod, but for the life of me I couldn't get one to fit. Now I know why.

I feel so stupid :eek:

13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Julia, this thread moved you from mu-43 Rookie to mus-43 Regular, so it wasn't a total loss :)

And besides, you now have some ideas for YABS (Yet Another Bag Syndrome)

PS: I might have to look at your Kata 431. I have a larger Kata from my DSLR days, it is well made and very practical.

14. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    That works :D Looks like a nice bag.

15. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    @BigTam: Ha! Upgrade in status isn't bad at all, thanks for pointing that out ;)

I like my Kata very much, even though I did want to replace it. One of the main reasons: it has a rain cover included. Now, I know that I won't go out into the pouring rain intentionally to shoot and risk damaging my equipment, but sudden showers happen often enough for me to be careful. I simply don't feel safe without some type of rain cover.

16. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I never had a rain cover for my bags before I bought the MM20 - and it came in handy last week as I was caught in a deluge that lasted about 25 minutes. I was soaked but my camera gear was dry. My wife had brought a rain coat on the hike and enjoyed my lack of preparation ;)

17. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I lost an iPod touch once to a completely unexpected rain shower and two years ago, I had to huddle beneath a sorry excuse of a roof for 25 minutes. It was raining so heavily the water was remaining on the flat street, so high it was running into my sneakers. My bag pack didn't have a rain cover, but I had my MBA with me.

Since then, I've never again taken photo or computer equipment with me without having a rain cover. It seems silly sometimes, but considering the price of the equipment totally worth it :)