Vote for 'Your' 'Best' M43 Camera ?

The Panasonic GM1. I have a tiny travel kit built around the GM1 that fits into a Cozyspeed Camslinger. The camera is the size of a point and shoot and takes great pictures. Second favorite is the G9. It is much bigger, but the design is outstanding.

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
The best is the one I own. :)

GX85 feels like the embodiment of what I want in m4/3: small, cheap, great IBIS, great image quality. It's an imperfect camera, but perfect for me.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The best is the one I own. :)

GX85 feels like the embodiment of what I want in m4/3: small, cheap, great IBIS, great image quality. It's an imperfect camera, but perfect for me.
Though I never quite bonded with the GX85, I totally get this. More than a few cameras now fit that description for me. Any one could honestly be my favorite, though it's still hard for me to get past the E-P5. If only it had an EVF...

Gonewest

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Paul
My vote goes to the EM5 mk1. It got me back to the sort of photography I enjoy most. If I’m allowed a second vote it’s the Pen F. I don’t think it’s received much love here but I’m surprised how much I enjoy using it. I didn’t used to like rangefinders and even my large, clumsy hands have no problem with it’s handling.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Since I don't have experience with the EM5 nor Panasonic, I can't vote for them.

I was going to get the EM10 as my first m4/3, then I found a used EM1 at a decent price and jumped on it.
But I still wanted the smaller EM10, so when I found one on sale, I bought it.

#1 - I like the older EM1-mk1.
  • This was my first m4/3 so it gets that "attachment" factor.
  • It fits my hand very well.
  • Slightly smaller and lighter than the mk2.
  • As long as I don't use the 12-100, the 4hr battery life is OK.
    • If I use the 12-100, the battery life drops to 2-1/2 hours; then the larger battery of the mk2 wins.​
  • Though I do wish they would update the FW to fix the EVF and auto ISO bugs.
    • For me, the EVF bug is a fatal bug when shooting sports. The mk2 fixed this bug.​
  • I have been tempted MANY times to get another used mk1. The price of a low shutter count mk1, is lower than the cost of an EM10 or EM5, and is a GREAT deal.
EM10-mk2
  • When I want a small camera to travel or take with me, I will grab the EM10, cuz that is exactly why I got it, small size.
    • The 14-42EZ lens, though compact, was a disappointment. I just cannot get used to the power zoom. If they made the 14-42 with a manual zoom, I would get that.
  • The screw on grip makes it easier to handle. And if I want compact, I just unscrew the grip. Almost the best of both worlds.
  • The built in flash is convenient to have, in a GP camera. Not as good as a separate flash, but better than nothing. And I have been in situations where I did not plan to use a flash, so did not bring one.
  • While the EM10 is smaller than the EM1, sometimes it feels a bit too small when I am trying to work the rear controls, and I have small hands.
  • But all in all, I am still happy with it, and am glad I got it, and would get it again.

Last edited:

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
I always think questions about "best" when it comes to things which have many dimensions are loaded. This this was couched as "best for you." So, best body that I've used extensively for ME is the GX9. Has some significant flaws and limitations. The EVF is, at best, mediocre by today's standards. Not weather sealed. Something that really bothered me about it is the lack of any external shutter release other than phone app. While I do landscape and seascape stuff where those issues become apparent, I also have a G9 which pretty solves those issues. But as a travel, street, and everyday companion, the GX9 is simply the most fun camera I've ever used.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
E-M5 (mark I)

It's old, body is scuffed, screen has a crack, Single-AF is a bit slow, C-AF is laughable, no peaking for MF lens, no e-shutter, limited controls, no USB charging, no WIFI...

And I just don't care!

The best camera is the one that's with you.

My E-M5 almost permanently lives in my bag with the 45/1.8 and either the 17/1.8 or the 12-40/2.8. I take it to work every day where I even keep a spare battery and charger just in case. Having only 2 programmable function buttons (and the record button) helps me focus on taking photos instead of trying to remember which button does what. The IBIS is great, I always shoot either Aperture priority or Shutter priority and AF-S, if my subject is moving I'll adjust accordingly.

44176768812_14ed96809c_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P8220179 by massimovsr, on Flickr

31272566248_dc49d97336_o.jpg
PA040027 by massimovsr, on Flickr

45930885581_788688ecc9_h.jpg
PB170064 by massimovsr, on Flickr

33286974468_c9de0a6c7e_h.jpg
P2130137 by massimovsr, on Flickr

48726671023_b4dcdc422c_h.jpg
Untitled by massimovsr, on Flickr

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Hard really to give veracity (as to "Best") to an answer because obviously one can only state in respect of cameras owned or used. I've only had the Olly 5 and 5mkll, 10mkll, ep5, epl8 and em1 but perhaps if I'd handled a Panny my answer may be different.

I parted with the em1 after only a week as it simply didn't add anything to my imagery that I couldn't have got with my other bodies and I only bought it as it was $150 less than any listed elsewhere and I made money on it. I liked the ep's for their size but that was negated when I stuck a viewfinder on 'em.

I have 3x10mkll and for what I shoot, I think they're a great little camera. I bought 2 x 5mkll for the in camera stacking and for mounting bigger lenses. Tbh, I don't like the results of in camera stacking and I wouldn't miss my remaining one if I parted with it. I parted with the other when I parted with the Panny 100-400 which was permanently mounted but the one remaining now has the olly 75-300 mounted permanently. All my other shooting not requiring that length is done with the 10s.

I don't like changing lenses hence the 4 bodies and the fact that I managed to buy all from the sale of my FF and APSC but am seriously thinking of selling down to just 2 bodies and 4 lenses from those in my sig. I love the 10's and with the 75-300 for birding and 12-40pro for "general" daytime use, with the 17mm 1.8 for night work and the 60mm macro, I think I could get by and not worry about what might be worthless kit left to my kids when I go belly up. They may as well have the money in a trust fund now.

Sorry for the off track but the thread has posed me questions and got me thinking :hmmm: so yeah..........the em10mkll is a cracker of a camera at a bloody good price nowadays.

algold

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
Only had/have 3 Oly micro 4/3 cameras and played with a couple more in the shop.
For me the best was and is E-M5 II - small, capable, flexible and sexy looking (have a silver version).
E-M1 II is a better and faster camera, but still prefer E-M5 II.
E-M10 II was close to E-M5 II, but weather sealing and better ergonomics (for me) won at the end.

Strymon76

Mu-43 Regular
The OM-D EM-10 Mii gets my vote. Solid metal camera, quality feel, and updates like focus bracketing etc. Paired with some great Olympus lenses and it's the perfect travel camera.

Strymon76

Mu-43 Regular
Really nice body and cheap and cheap as well. Not WR but if you use the small primes they aren’t WR either.
Agreed. Lenses in my kit include the 17 f/1.8, 25 f/1.8, 75 f/1.8 and 12-40 f/2.8 Pro. Gives me a lot if flexibility.😀

danelkins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lumix GX85 / G85. I have had a few m43 cameras over the past 6 years, starting with small GX1, and have recently come to appreciate (again) the smaller GX85 over the chunky G series - although I miss a good viewfinder. If I only shot m43 I would probably be talking about the EM1.2 instead.

fStop16

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Erol
The OM-D EM-10 Mii gets my vote. Solid metal camera, quality feel, and updates like focus bracketing etc. Paired with some great Olympus lenses and it's the perfect travel camera.
EM-10 Mii gets my vote also. 1/2 the price of EM-5. I don't need WR at my age I don't go out in the rain. I don't like the swing out LCD.

Real Name
Jim R
Right now I'd go with the (now-reacquired) GX7 with eP5 a close second. I like 'em small ;) wish those bodies were weather resistant though. GX1 is very close too, but tilt screen, some form of IBIS and starlight AF are improvements I cannot ignore. The big deal for me though is an AF/MF rotary switch, which I prefer to shutter vs backbutton AF options - focus then turn off suits me better. I used the 2-way switch on the eP5 that way too.

Ruairi

New to Mu-43
GX8. It's not the best at anything, but it does nearly everything well, in any weather. All lenses (bar the 300mm f4) handle well on it. It's quick, has well thought out manual controls and is solid to hold. Special touches are the textured rear lcd, forward facing shutter button, and the excellent EVF.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
I have the Panasonic g80/85 ,bought it essentially to use for wildlife couple with a 100-400 lens , still have it as back up , then I got a Olympus omd10-mkii for the wife but neither of these gave the fast response I wanted/needed .. so switched back to Nikon for several months . However a heart attack earlier this year led to weight limitations so after a bit of research I got a omd1-mkii .. did the firmware upgrade and WOW what a camera , I have it set so the EVF is illuminated at all times ,never misses a beat fast ,accurate.and a pleasure to use good battery life .and now turning out some stunning results

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom