Vote for 'Your' 'Best' M43 Camera ?

taurus9

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for the detailed comparison... For me the interesting thing is: one is a µ43 and the other FullFormat. Sizewise comparable but not in performance...

For me µ43 shows its advantages in the GM5... (But the GX8 is interesting, too...)
One would hope/expect the Sony to generally outperform the GX8 (although there is no touchscreen on the Sony). The GX8 is $1199 and the Sony is $3198.

Anyway back to the original thread, I am somewhat surprised that the GH4 hasn't been mentioned yet as someone's best camera. so cast my vote for the gh4. This camera is a rugged workhorse. mirrorless cameras have a well deserved reputation of having short battery life. Not the GH4. Yes you can buy more batteries, but then it becomes more difficult to manage ... And may force you to buy another charger to ensure all those batteries are full.

The ergonomics match how I work...the most common functions I use are ISO, white balance, MF/AF selection, AF/AE lock, and AF point selection. The first two are conveniently located by the shutter button, and the AF point can be selected by the touchscreen. I really think the gh4 is underrated in the stills department. part of it is its well deserved reputation as a pro video platform.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
For me the GX8 is too bulky! Would prefer t he smaller a7Rii
There seem to be a lot of threads these days derailed by an off topic "I don't like the GX8 because...". Its really kind of odd. Any mention of the camera and people seem to come out of the woodwork to say why they dislike a camera they have likely never even seen (much less used) in real life. Yay internet!

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
There seem to be a lot of threads these days derailed by an off topic "I don't like the GX8 because...". Its really kind of odd. Any mention of the camera and people seem to come out of the woodwork to say why they dislike a camera they have likely never even seen (much less used) in real life. Yay internet!
I had it in my hands. I recently bought the G7 - which is great. Considering the GX8 and one of its main advantage - weathersealing- means to buy a complete new set of lenses - weathersealed... And this means

either the Oly Pro Series completely
or the 7-14 f2.8 Oly Pro + 12-35 f 2.8 & 35-200 f2.8 Pany and wait for the hopefully weather sealed 100-400....

In case of the Sony I do have the weather sealed lenses.....

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
In case of the Sony I do have the weather sealed lenses.....
Unfortunately, you don't really have any weather-sealed bodies.

You have several bodies that were originally claimed to be "moisture resistant", which is about as ambiguous as possible. And then even that claim was removed. Almost no gasketing on any of the A7 bodies so far. The A7r II may be different in this respect, but it remains to be seen.

JoFT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Johannes
Unfortunately, you don't really have any weather-sealed bodies.

You have several bodies that were originally claimed to be "moisture resistant", which is about as ambiguous as possible. And then even that claim was removed. Almost no gasketing on any of the A7 bodies so far. The A7r II may be different in this respect, but it remains to be seen.
My Canon bodies are weather sealed. Recently I was slipping with the camera in the hand into the North Sea... and no damage to the gear. The Canon´s are great in this respect. And thank you: you are right the sony is not weather sealed....

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Yes - could I politely ask that these discussions are continued on other more appropriate threads and that this thread is returned to its original form !!!
Thanks
Rob

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
The one in my hand is the best.

Fred
Actually I often find it's the one thats in my bag, rather than the one I have out.
I shoot with two µ4/3 bodies one full spectrum converted GF2 & the other a normal G5. All too often I find I want the one that s least excessible...

There have been several occasions when I'll have both out then I find the lenses are on the wrong way round, for the opportunities that crop up. I've ended up taking loads of shots with the full spectrum camera when visible light would have been better, but their just wasn't time to switch over. Shooting IR with the normal camera is a slow determined job so fleeting subjects I want to try in IR when the lens is wrong just get missed.

Of those I've used the G5 wins on ergonomics & handling (though the IR abilities of my converted GF2 are very useful to me). There are features that I'd love to add to it IBIS & focus peaking, being top of the list.

Last edited:

WendyK

Super Moderator
Real Name
Wendy
I am going to change my vote - originally I voted for the Oly E-M10, but with the addition of focus bracketing and electronic shutter on the E-M10II that one would be an even better camera for me. Not quite enough to justify an upgrade, but enough to make me wish that my original E-M10 was getting a firmware upgrade to add those features.

dermaus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jeff
I enjoyed reading through this thread and even added my own 'Best' to the list - the GX7, which is probably not my 'Best' anymore. Quite a bit has changed in M43 land since this thread's last post four years ago and I'm curious to learn of new opinions and also if anyone's has changed over time.

Actually, not intending to hijack the thread, but what is also your favorite M43 camera? I think, perhaps, 'best' and 'favorite' aren't necessarily the same thing.

WT21

Super Moderator
Best so far is GX850. It gives the promise of my former EPM1, but everything on it is better. I also like my G85, but if I could only have one, it'd be the compact-ethos GX850.

Real Name
Amol
Best so far is GX850. It gives the promise of my former EPM1, but everything on it is better. I also like my G85, but if I could only have one, it'd be the compact-ethos GX850.
Interesting. I did not even know GX850 existed. So Pana has G85, GX85 and GX850! Surprising because I never saw GX850 for sale on here or Fred Miranda or even Reddit.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
EM1ii. Couldn't cope with the lack of grip on the EM5 & 10 and the Pannies were just too big for their own good.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I love the E-M5 line and how adaptable it is. It's small when you want it to be, but can also be fitted with grips when you want to use larger lenses. It also has the weather sealing. Really all it needs is the 20mp sensor out of the E-M1ii and the menu system. The FPS should probably be kept down so as not to compete with the E-M1/X line of cameras.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Interesting. I did not even know GX850 existed. So Pana has G85, GX85 and GX850!
And if that's not confusing enough let's add the non-US versions: G80, GX80 and GX800 (also GX800 is the GF9 in some regions). :doh:

I love Panasonic cameras but the naming convention is certainly not intuitive.

WT21

Super Moderator
Interesting. I did not even know GX850 existed. So Pana has G85, GX85 and GX850! Surprising because I never saw GX850 for sale on here or Fred Miranda or even Reddit.
If you are interested in a small powerhouse, I recommend it. I was a bit wary in reading about it at first, but don't let the specs fool you. Check the user reviews. It's a very nice camera, if you need compact.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
To hell with the naysayers... I loved my GX8 so much I bought a second one. I've also got a G9 now... put the G9 shutter/sensor/IBIS and viewfinder screen into the GX8 and I'd be a happy camper. Among other things, I really love the tilting viewfinder on the GX8.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom