Vote for 'Your' 'Best' M43 Camera ?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Robstar1963, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I thought it would be interesting to some members at least to vote for what you believe is 'for you' the 'best' Micro Four Thirds Camera Body to date
    I'd like the replies to be flexible in nature so It doesn't have to be the one you think is the most tecnically advanced or capable or whatever but the camera that is (or has been) the best for you personally
    For example it could be the one you think most lives up to the Micro Four Thirds 'Ethos' whatever you take that to be, or the camera you have most enjoyed using or the one that most encouraged you to get out and capture images or the one that you find most comfortable
    Just interpret this thread in whatever way suits you but most importantly tell us which is the best M43 camera 'For You'
    I am hoping for a variety of replies which will demonstrate the flexibility, variety and supreme (unmatched by any other system in my view) versatility of the Micro Four Thirds System
    I believe that a variety of very personal preferences will perhaps demonstrate these virtues
    I will start off with my choice which is the Olympus OM-D E-M10
    To me this camera offers everything that M43 hoped to offer at the beginning - compact dimensions, good ergonomics (superb ergonomics with the optional ECG1 Grip attached) superb image quality, great features
    The camera can be placed in a medium sized bag with one lens attached in the centre and two more lenses either side.
    It can be used sans grip with a pancake for supreme compactness and jacket pocket ability or with the added grip for use with larger lenses and/or more comfort
    I am six feet six inches tall with hands to match but never feel that the camera is too small - it just feels right and has a great weight and feel
    It has a built in flash for convenience and it uses readily available and inexpensive batteries
    It's performance is such that I don't need anything better
    It is the one camera that for me epitomises the original M43 ethos and reinforces for me the reason I stay with the format
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't have enough experience with very many m43 cameras to determine a best m43 camera. I will say that my motivation in coming to m43 was to have a camera smaller than my Canon kit that I would be more likely to carry with me, but that still had good handling and good IQ. And while the G5 is not the best m43 camera, if it wasn't for the G5 I would have moved along from the m43 system rather quickly as I just could not bond with my E-PM1.

I would have to say, though, that probably the EM-5 is more responsible than any other camera for the viability of the m43 system. It was the camera that got more people to take the m43 system seriously.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    No question for me it's the EM1. It's not pocketable but it's hardly a strain to carry it in a bag all day. Most of the 16 mp mu43 bodies produce very similar output in RAW so the differences are largely outside of absolute image quality. I really like the layout of the camera and find it a great pleasure to shoot with it. After that, the EM5/10 or the GX7 are great walk-around bodies. Just to note, I'm not a video user so that's a bias of mine.
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    For me, it's the E-M1 followed by the E-M5. The E-M1 is just so functional and powerful that despite being amongst the larger mu43 bodies (but Still smaller than the GH4) it's the best all-rounder. The E-M5 has its place for being the first of the 16Mp cameras and for the stunning IBIS. I also think the IQ out of the E-M5 (raw) is still the best. It delivers a subtly different colour interpretation than the E-M1 which I still prefer.
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    E-M5 ii for me. It is the perfect combination of size and performance in my eyes.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. londonfire

londonfire Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Western NC
    While it's not the 'best' MFT body I have to throw a plug in for the old Panasonic G1. It was my first mirrorless and the control layout is still the best out there. They threw away dials after that and didn't bring them back until the GH3/GH4 and now the G7. Try changing settings with an EM-5 and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    I love my E-M10; it's easy to handle and as compact as I would ever want to go. That said, the first time I picked up an E-M1, I knew it was the camera for me. The grip is perfectly sized and all the controls are where I would like them to be. The EVF is easier to use as well. I'll own one someday, but will find it difficult to sell off my E-M10. I'll probably keep it as a backup.
  8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    The one in my hand is the best.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Comparing cameras based on how state-of-the-art they were at the time of their release, it would have to be the E-M5. While the E-M1 was and still is a technically better camera and has marginally the better sensor by dint of the colour output from it's not-Sony sensor, it is something of a nothing burger in regards to how much further it advanced the concept. The E-M5 also remains my favourirte of the two, simply based on me wanting to use it more than the E-M1.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm going to go with my favorite -- E-P5. I know it's not the best m4/3s camera, but I am also not the best photographer! (not even close)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    For me it used to be "the one I just bought", as that honeymoon period always washed away any issues I had.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I knew when I saw the specs for the E-P5 that it was the one. If you don't need a viewfinder, it has perfect features and controls.

Someday I'll want a PEN with 40MP mode and Live Time. I'm happy for now with the E-P5.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Another vote for E-P5.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    The Panasonic GX-7 for me. I hated the menus and ergonomics of the EM-5 and I thought IQ in RAW was better with the GX-7. My best loved feature on the GX-7 is the tilt able EVF and the implementation of focus peaking. I don't really care about the superior JPEG engines of the OLY cameras as I rarely shoot in JPEG.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    EM5 for me, it is the one got me into M43.
  16. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I still love the E-P5.

**I like the PEN form factor
    **I love always having the built in flash along and it controls my other flashes when needed.
    **1/8000 shutter speed and generally fast operating system.
    ** focus peaking has made the old MF lenses easy to use.
    ** great controls, solid body.
    ** my family loves the wifi connection so they can grab a great photo on the run for social media BS.

I bought this during the first month it was available in the US and I still find it to be a state-of-the-art body.

Occasionally one of the control wheels misses a click (i.e. 3 clicks and 2 movements) but this issues has not slowed me down yet.
    I do use it with the VF-4 attached most of the time.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    After re-reading the original post, my vote goes to the E-M10 - in spite of its modest price, it's actually a very competent camera. Even after all the great new releases of the last couple of months, I still don't feel the urge to upgrade.

Honorary mention: the GF1. It's one of the first mFT bodies, and yet it's still a very enjoyable camera to shoot with.

• Like Like x 2
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It's definitely better than these two:

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  19. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    Olympus OMD EM5 of course!

since the first glance on the first launching, i already fall in love with it.
  20. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I've owned the E-pl3, E-pl2 for a number of months, had three different pl3's with three different issues (lcd, unresponsive buttons and seonsor issue) so by the third one I decided not to get another one. The Pl2 was nice I sold it to a friend and thought about getting another but ended up getting the GF3.
    I tried both GX1 and E-p3 for around three months each, really liked them but were too large and didn't like them enough to hold on to them. I had my E-m5 for 11 months or so and even with crappy video and difficult ergonomics, I loved it but had too many issues(3 shutter/sensor units due to SS and sticky shutter, paint chipping, eyecup falling off, cracked LCD) to be comfortable with especially once the warranty ran out so I sold it.

What I'm left with now is the GF3 which was my third m43 after my Epl2 and . It's exactly what I'm looking for in the format, more pocketable than any that I've tried with a 14 or 20mm, lightweight and capable enough a camera in most situations.
    I'm not so serious about photography as I was all those years ago when I started so the combination of compactness, and lens availability is really good for me despite having a bit of trouble sometimes with accessing the shooting settings through the menu because the GF3 only has one mode dial.

I know it's not the most advanced body out there but for my type of usage, the GF3 gets my vote.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 3