Vorrei un pesce si per favore ( I would like a fish please)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by System13, May 28, 2016.

1. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I am hoping to find someone to give me a fish not teach me to fish.
    In less than two weeks I am doing my trip of a lifetime to Rome and Florence.

I normally have a Nikon Dx3 that I know well but it's so large to fly with that I bought an Olympus E-M5 Mark II a couple of moths ago just to take on this trip.

My problem is setting up the camera. I'm familiar with my Nikon Custom Settings and Menu Bank but this MySet is beyond me, for now.

Now I've scoured the Internet read the manuals, bought four e-books and I still can't figure it out.

Normally I'd plug away at it, but I'm working 50 hours a week to get ahead on my work, my wife is making me TRY to learn Italian, and now it's less than two weeks from the trip and I still haven't set it up. So I'm hoping someone with great familiarity with the M5 Mark II and its MySets will help me with the step by step instructions and setup. I would provide a list of preferences and settings I'd like and they would tell me how exactly to program it and/or offer advice.

I'm not looking for lessons, nor ridicule, and yes I know I should figure it out but I'm just running out of time.

Will someone help?

In return I will make a $50 donation in their name to the "100 proposals for patrons" campaign in Rome, or pay for a Kindle Gift Book up to $50 via Amazon for them. Whichever they prefer

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, what kind of scenes do you want settings for?

3. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I would like live view only to toggle on/off with live view Fn3 button
    I would like the super control panel only to toggle on/off with record button in all modes except movie mode
    I would like the Fn2 button to change MySet when pressed and rear dial rotated.
    I want no review ever without pressing the playback button
    I would like the shutter button to do focus and lock in lever position one but become back button focus Fn1 in lever position 2

I'm taking pictures in Cathedrals so I'd like a MySet for low light handheld silent using my f/1.2 Nocticon

I'm taking Sunrise and Sunset landscapes so I'd like a low iso tripod MySet

I'd like a fill flash with the included flash for dark or night shots MySet

I'd like a good light fast Action mode MySet

I'd like the ART, SCN, and Photo Story mode dialto activate MySets
    Action MySet (ART),
    Sunrise/Sunset MySet (SCN), and
    Cathedral MySet (Photo Story (the symbol looks like a cathedral sort of))

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With an important trip so close, I'd take the camera you know.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Cant help on the Olympus, but you are in for a major treat. :)

I have spent 9 weeks in Italy over the last five years and am going back next year.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    My advice: forget about MySet, get familiar with the SCP and use the common PASM modes. MySet are just a faster way to get a certain configuration. But they have no names, so you have to remember that number 3 is A mode low light, number 1 is S mode high ISO, etc. And it takes a few shooting days to tweak each of these. Unless you use these on an almost daily basis you'll just waste a lot of time.

And then you find that your low ISO MySet is perfect but now you would need it in S or Manual mode but you created this as a customization of A mode (each MySet is a customization of one of the PASM modes). So you just switch to A mode a tweak a couple of things.
    And then you discover that you prefer "Noise filter" low and you have to open each one and update it and save it back. Do this five or six times and you'll start to mess things up.

This is what happened to me: in the end I gave up, as the speed advantage was not so big.

Then many of the things you want to configure are just standard settings. I'll try to go through your list:

- I would like live view only to toggle on/off with live view Fn3 button

J menu: EVF auto switch off or just keep the Fn3 pressed (this disables the eye sensor).

- I would like the super control panel only to toggle on/off with record button in all modes except movie mode

SCP is only activated with the Ok button and I think you cannot change this.

- I would like the Fn2 button to change MySet when pressed and rear dial rotated.

You can configure a Fn button to switch to one single specific my set, but then you need to customize this same Fn button in this other MySet to switch to a different MySet so that you can cycle through them...good luck...
    And you can assign MySets to any position of the PASM mode dial. I think there are no other modes to switch MySets.

- I want no review ever without pressing the playback button

wrench menu': rec view off

- I would like the shutter button to do focus and lock in lever position one but become back button focus Fn1 in lever position 2

I do not have the E-M5 but I think the 2x2 lever switch cannot do this (as this means to reassign Fn buttons).

- I'm taking pictures in Cathedrals so I'd like a MySet for low light handheld silent using my f/1.2 Nocticon

Just switch to e-shutter and rise the ISO. Or set the high limit for ISO (E menu) to something that covers most situation (1600 or 3200). Then shoot in S mode to choose the minimum speed you need (in this way you also control the Auto-ISO value) or just use Manual.

- I'm taking Sunrise and Sunset landscapes so I'd like a low iso tripod MySet

Same as above, just set the ISO manually. With tripod some prefers to switch IBIS off (and Olympus recommends it) even if I never do and I've never seen any report of problems on this forum. This may also mean spot metering or HDR mode, exposure bracketing or 3:2 image format, etc.

- I'd like a fill flash with the included flash for dark or night shots MySet

Set the flash mode from the SCP

- I'd like a good light fast Action mode MySet

This sounds like a customized S mode. You have a lot of different settings that could make sense here but these depends on how and what you shoot: ISO, back button focus, C-AF, burst mode, release delay mode, etc. And these may also be different from the way you did things with your other camera. My advice: S mode, S-AF, small AF box on the target and burst mode.

- I'd like the ART, SCN, and Photo Story mode dialto activate MySets
    Action MySet (ART),
    Sunrise/Sunset MySet (SCN), and
    Cathedral MySet (Photo Story (the symbol looks like a cathedral sort of))

This is a good tutorial (if you really want to go there):

Ultimate Customization: Olympus Lets You Reprogram Your Camera’s Mode Dial!

A couple of suggestions:

- Olympus menu system may seem complex but 90% of the things are in the right place. First look at the small text/symbols in the top level list and press the Info button and read the small help.
    Otherwise just enter the A menu and just scroll down through ALL the items of all "letters" (they are about 50, not 1000), it's faster the going in and out randomly.

- Robin Wong: The Robin Wong's OM-D Camera Cheat Sheet

- Try the "EVF "style 2" in the J menu. It's a little smaller but with less clutter.

- Try the "shadows & highlights" mode (press Info until you find it). I also find it useful to use AEL with exp compensation (EVF is quite reliable for exposure preview).

- Experiment a little with the "high-res mode" for cathedrals and static landscapes.

- Experiment with "live bulb/time" and live composite for night shots:

Olympus Live Composite mode [Gary Ayton's photography wiki]
    How to use Live BULB on Olympus OM-D Cameras - Less Gear || More Photos

- Remote shutter with OI-Share app may be useful.

- SCP has two visualization modes: grid like and border menu like. Press the Info button to switch.

- check that you have anti-shock 0-sec (E menu') and always choose the "diamond" modes from the SCP (when available).

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    not the advice I was seeking, not an option, so no thank you.

8. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    EDIT: whoops, i totally didn't realise Klorenzo already went over it, thought with your post you still needed help, but never mind :p
    Although, if anything, the back button focussing is explained here

With the myset system, you get 4 mysets per shooting mode
    so 4 sets for Manual, 4 sets for Aperture priority, ...

Apart from menu configuration settings (Flash sync speed, max auto ISO, noise reduction, button configuration,..... ), each set will also save your current shooting settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, Metering Mode, Flash Mode, shutter mode,.... )

So you can simply set up your camera the way you would use it for a particular shot and then simply save it (note that the difference between loading and saving a MySet is not intuitive, as when saving/overwriting a myset, it does not ask for confirmation, but when loading a myset, it does)

You should really go over all the settings at least once, to save them as you desire, so that you don't have to go adjusting each MySet afterwards if you found something you'd like to change

But, for the things you mentioned:
    Under the Configuration item J, turn EVF auto switch OFF, assign a button to switching under configuration item B-> Button Function-> Fn3->view selection

As far as i know, you can only toggle the super control panel using the OK button as there is no option under the button functions for SCP

You cannot create a combination of multiple inputs (button press+ dial), there's a multi function option that DOES allow this, but it does not support MySets, assigning a MySet to a function button just loads the MySet, pressing it again, will bring you back to your previous settings

In the menu, under the wrench icon, set the "Rec View" to off

You need to use AEL/AFL lock for this, in the configuration menu item B -> Lever Function -> Mode5
    Now, with an auto focus capable lens, Set the lever to a position you want to set up (up or down), go to configuration menu item A -> AF Mode -> select the AF mode you want, from your text, it seems to be S-AF
    Flip the lever into the other position, go back to config menu item A -> AF Mode -> C-AF
    Next, go to config item B -> Button Function -> Fn1 -> AEL/AFL
    Finally, go to config item A -> AEL/AFL-> select the the focusing mode you set up in lever position 2 (C-AF if you followed this example) -> Select Mode3 (notice how the AEL icon now shows AF Start)
    Holding the AEL button (Fn1 for you) will now focus as long as you hold it, HOWEVER, i don't think the Fn1 button can be re-used for anything else, regardless of lever position

The next couple of items are a bit weird to ask.. The settings for the following kind of shooting environments highly depend on your own preferences, maximum ISO, autofocus light/beep, minimum shutter speed, ......
    Set up your shooting settings for shooting in a cathedral, when done, save it as a myset (all the settings you mention can be set from the super control panel)

Same as above, set up the camera shooting settings as you desire them for a sunrise/set and save it as a MySet
    You probably want to disable image stabilisation as well for tripod mode (which can also be done through the super control panel)

Attach a flash to the camera, use the super control panel to determine the flash mode, save it as a MySet

Set up your camera as you need it to be for fast action and save it as a myset

Go to config item B -> Mode Dial Function -> chose which set to go where (Scroll up to see the other ones (i didn't realise this for a looooong time, thinking you could only overwrite iAuto & Art haha :D ))

Note that you will have to create these MySets for each dial mode (M/A/S/P/...)

Hope that gets you on your feet ;)

I still recommend taking a moment to sit down with your camera and going over each setting to learn your em5 II, if you encounter a setting you don't understand or need more info about, simply look it up and experiment :)

ps it's Vorrei un pesce per favore, no "si" in there ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  9. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    No he gave some help but was trying to teach me to fish.
    I know how to do online research and had already tried that. Robin Wong for example address' the E-M1 not the E-M5 mark II, and there's enough minor differences. It doesn't help to get answers if you don't KNOW the questions.
    Thank you, I did and I have but as I originally stated I've run out of headroom/time. I've spent time in Austin and at home doing so, and going over your stuff specifically all of Saturday testing this and will do so again, tomorrow, but Monday to Wednesday is work and Thursday starts the trip
    The flipping of the lever and redoing it was the key I had missed.
    You, me and most of everybody I read, I even read a couple that stated you could ONLY assign iAuto and ART
    It did, thank you. Which do you prefer the donation in your name or the E Book?
    Roger, WillCo

Gratzie im only on lesson six

10. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    It'll be tough to get the cathedral/sunset preset unless you have easy access to either of these within the small time frame remaining, but the flash and sports/action one should be doable just at home (can use cars driving down the street for action, just make sure you are perpendicular to the street when testing)
    To completely freeze action you probably want to go to a shutter speed of 600-1000, the higher the better, but light might restrict it, so you might need to push up ISO, this might be a good place to use auto ISO, with a custom max ISO in the settings (i have mine at 1600). Unless you intend to use a ultra wide angle or fisheye that have pretty much anything in focus beyond a couple of meters at infinity (the samyang has everything in focus beyond 3.5meter for example), you probably also want to increase the aperture (narrower) to make sure the subject is in focus in case initial focus is a little off
    For the flash preset you can simply try this at home during evening with lights turned off (or only a nightstand lamp to simulate low light)

Good to hear i'm not alone haha :D

No need for any of that, knowing it helped you out is plenty ;)

Buona fortuna! Italian's not an easy language, but it's a beautiful and fun one once you get it down ;) (4years of italian classes here)

Enjoy your trip & camera! :)