Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by andyw, Jan 27, 2010.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Had delivery of my new (to me) Voigtlander Ultron 35mm f1.7 lens. I'm still waiting for the adapter so no example shots yet :( but here it is with my GF1.

I have never felt such good quality in a lens! Lets hope the pics are as good as the lens quality!!!! :biggrin:

In real life it is about half the size of the Olympus that's on the camera!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That's a killer lens......
    The next one is the 28mm 1.9....

3. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I have been looking at the 12mm f4.5, would be good for landscapes!! It even comes with a wide view finder!!

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    True nuff but remember, the viewfinder is for 3/2 not 4/3.

This glass is all very wonderful.
    I love my Noktons....but I haven't used any of them on the Pen 1 or G1 because I don't want to fall out of love with my dedicated glass....
    enjoy your journey....
    Don

5. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Voigtlander is great quality. The build quality of the m4/3 lenses, compared with Voigtlander, feels like cheap plastic.. But luckily the m4/3 lenses gives great results, not plastic results:thumbup:

Good luck with the Ultron!

6. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

:2thumbs::clap2:

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    The really affordable "poor mans leica" would be a G1 with a better EVF, an FX sensor and a set of Voigtlander lenses from Stephen Gandy - panasonic and oly could "clean up" if they tried

Build quality, design and feel do mean something, and nomatter how good these "plastic fantastic" lenses are they are not the same as a heavy, well built piece of glass - "close your eyes, touch it, feel it and fondle it" - and guess what, there are loads and loads of used ones out there.

The modern digital lens maybe be technically superb, but do the have the (analogue) "glow"

• Like Like x 2
  8. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yeah Bill, that's exactly what I do with my Panny 20mm.
    Haven't touched my Leica Glass in some time.
    Shooter

9. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    no you don't - the Panny 20mm will blow away in the wind - it would never be any good s a paper weight"

your Q for "blow away"

10. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought into the M43 system because of LIGHT weight and small size, but still provides acceptable IQ. If I like to stick with big and heavy cameras and lenses, I have more than enough already and will not waste my money on M43. But, this is only my PERSONAL reason and YMMV.

11. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    andyw - that is so cool! the lens looks great. But I am sure you will enjoy it more after you get the adapter. I have had no end of fun using various adapted lenses (mostly all Voigtlander) on my G1. The larger aperture on many of them (like on your Ultron) allows some great shots of people in poor lighting with the benefit of very nice, narrow depth of field.

I am not knocking ANY lens, here. Just saying that this Ultron should be a great addition to your bag of tools. Show us some nice examples when you get some.

12. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Stephen, I think that is one very good reason which appeals to many, but isn't it very interesting and inexpensive to have the additional option to try so many "older" lens on this "new system" and view the results like never before

13. laptoprob

laptoprob Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    baffle

I tried my Ultron and found it benefits from an added baffle to the rear of the lens. A piece of thin black plastic with a hole of approx. 9mm will do. Don't ask me why, but it sharpens up the corners. Must have something to do with too much stray light coming through the lens. And too little (relatively) hitting the sensor.
    I wtill have to figure out a better way to fasten it instead of the little clamping in the rear threads.

14. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I will do!! I have found a few people who have a large selection of Voigtlander lenses and they are (as already said) the 'poor mans leica' which is fine by me! :biggrin:

15. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Ultron 35 1.7

Please let me know your impressions of this lens—it's on my (very) short list. I've been using the 50 1.5 and am very very pleased. Currently have a 35 3.5 Summaron (love the size on the GF1!) but I really would like the extra 2 stops this would give, and the more modern contrast could have it's uses too.

16. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I do fancey the 50mm 1.1, i bet that would be awesome stopped down to 1.4 or 1.8

17. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the killer affordable voigtlander lens on a micro 4 3rds body is the 15 4.5 screw mount

dont fool yourself into thinking it repeats the 30 mm fov of the kit zoom , its very different,

the perspective is exaggerated like a rectilinear fish eye and the dof is amazing

at f22 all its good from mere inches to infinity at 4.5 a few feet to infinity

a sharp lens with a lot of character and distinctiveness

• Like Like x 6
  18. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    WOW! You're right! I have just looked on Flickr groups for this lens and it is a stunner!! The image quality is superb and the DOF is great. I'll add it to the shopping list!

19. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Could you post some images taken with this lens—ideally with some taken with the zoom at ~15mm. The field of view must be similar; my guess is that the heliar has a lot of curvilinear distortion, which enhances the wide angle feel. I'm seriously interested in this lens, so this is more than idle curiosity. (makes me tempted to suggest some sort of lens swapping service; with Canon or Nikon, it was always possible to rent a lens for a few days and try it out, to see if it was a good match, but with all these options, and many involving "obsolete" glass, rentals seem unlikely)

20. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    voigtlander 15mm problems

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4