Voigtlander super wide angle 12mm with OMD 5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by AJBB, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AJBB

AJBB New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013

Everyone I am the proud owner of a OMD E M 5.
    I start to get myself a kit have several lenses but for the wide angle I struggle a little bit to find a sharp wide lens.

I'm considering the combination of OMD and the voigtlander super wide 12 mm.

Anyone of you tried it with an OMD?
    I would be glad to get some feedback.

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i seem to remember someone saying the rf ultra wides are pretty junky on the edges
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Oly 12/2.0. And the 7-14 is sharp, ditto 12-35, certainly stopped down a hair. The 7-14 does have flare issues.
  4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    However it wouldn't be anywhere near its edges, since it's a full frame lens...
    This might be cool with a shift tilt adapter, but I'm sure optically it's going to be worse than any of the native lenses, even the 12-50, which is actually pretty decent at 12 mm.
  5. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    My Color-Skopar 21 is complete crap at the edges on m43. It isn't a failing of the lens, which is great on FF film, it's a failing of the way light strikes the sensor. At the edges it hits at too steep an angle. The C/V is supposed to be pretty bad too.
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    This. !00% agree.

I've got a Color-Skopar too - stunning on FF on my Bessa but pants on m43 (even the kit lens is much better at the wide end).

Still, you can but try.
  7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wouldn't bother if it's just for m43. I mean, maybe if you were using it on a different camera, and it's just a bonus that you can adapt it for m43 then why not..but it's certainly not going to be more effective or cheaper than the native options.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have it... awesome on film. Not so great on digital for the reasons already said. I shoot B&W with it because of the color casts on the M9 (or some careful PP). Its a fun lens too shoot though. Its used a lot lately for IR photos... as I found no hotspots.

I agree with phrenic... for the same price you can do much better on the m43... olympus 12mm f/2 for example. Much more usable.
  9. AJBB

AJBB New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks a lot for your feedbacks.

I will then look for an oly 12 :)
  10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    o12 is pricey
    p14 is CHEAP

dunno if 24-28 is worth the big price jump for you
    but you can always check ebay for the p14s out of kits, i think they used to be like $167 ? and i think a used o12 is like $700 was cheapest ive seen (double check prices tho, its been awhile for me!)
  11. AJBB

AJBB New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks a lot I will first try them on my camera at my local dealer and then will decide. That's however a huge price difference so might also go for cheapest option and wait for new super wide angles to arrive on the market.

SWA is mostly for holidays but I don't really need it for my daily/weekly activities.