Voigtlander super wide angle 12mm with OMD 5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by AJBB, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AJBB

AJBB New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi

Everyone I am the proud owner of a OMD E M 5.
    I start to get myself a kit have several lenses but for the wide angle I struggle a little bit to find a sharp wide lens.

I'm considering the combination of OMD and the voigtlander super wide 12 mm.

Anyone of you tried it with an OMD?
    I would be glad to get some feedback.

Thx
    Alex

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i seem to remember someone saying the rf ultra wides are pretty junky on the edges

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Oly 12/2.0. And the 7-14 is sharp, ditto 12-35, certainly stopped down a hair. The 7-14 does have flare issues.

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    However it wouldn't be anywhere near its edges, since it's a full frame lens...
    This might be cool with a shift tilt adapter, but I'm sure optically it's going to be worse than any of the native lenses, even the 12-50, which is actually pretty decent at 12 mm.
    Rudy

5. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    My Color-Skopar 21 is complete crap at the edges on m43. It isn't a failing of the lens, which is great on FF film, it's a failing of the way light strikes the sensor. At the edges it hits at too steep an angle. The C/V is supposed to be pretty bad too.

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    This. !00% agree.

I've got a Color-Skopar too - stunning on FF on my Bessa but pants on m43 (even the kit lens is much better at the wide end).

Still, you can but try.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wouldn't bother if it's just for m43. I mean, maybe if you were using it on a different camera, and it's just a bonus that you can adapt it for m43 then why not..but it's certainly not going to be more effective or cheaper than the native options.

8. I have it... awesome on film. Not so great on digital for the reasons already said. I shoot B&W with it because of the color casts on the M9 (or some careful PP). Its a fun lens too shoot though. Its used a lot lately for IR photos... as I found no hotspots.

I agree with phrenic... for the same price you can do much better on the m43... olympus 12mm f/2 for example. Much more usable.

9. AJBB

AJBB New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks a lot for your feedbacks.

I will then look for an oly 12 :)

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    o12 is pricey
    p14 is CHEAP

dunno if 24-28 is worth the big price jump for you
    but you can always check ebay for the p14s out of kits, i think they used to be like $167 ? and i think a used o12 is like $700 was cheapest ive seen (double check prices tho, its been awhile for me!)

11. AJBB

AJBB New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks a lot I will first try them on my camera at my local dealer and then will decide. That's however a huge price difference so might also go for cheapest option and wait for new super wide angles to arrive on the market.

SWA is mostly for holidays but I don't really need it for my daily/weekly activities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.