Voigtlander or Panasonic 14-140?

D

dwrz

Which of these two is the better investment? Is the Voigtlander expected to be of limited production or will I be able to find it in the future?

Right now I have an EP2 with a Panasonic 20mm and an Olympus 14-42. Should I just stick with these? I'm low on cash these days and I'd have to sell another camera (a Pentax K200D) to be able to get a new lens.

Any advice?

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
They're such different lenses that I think the first thing to do is figure out what you want to DO with a new lens. The Voightlander (I'm assuming you're talking about the 25 f0.95) has some overlap with the Panasonic 20, although not the same lens by a long shot. The 14-140 gives you a much longer tele than you currently have and makes the 14-42 pretty redundant (I got rid of my kit lens after getting the Oly 14-150). So the "what do you want the lens for" question should determine which lens, and the "how badly do you want/need to do it" question should determine whether you start selling stuff to be able to buy it. Nobody else can answer those. In terms of "investment", the Voightlander will likely always be harder to get than the Pany (like, now, for example), but either will be gettable for a while yet I suspect.

-Ray

D

dwrz

Thanks. I pretty much do a lot of urban and indoor photography, but I also go outdoors and trek quite often. I was thinking of the Voigtlander for the former, and the Panasonic for the latter.

I guess to clarify, I want both lenses, but I'm not sure which one would be better to get first. I think the Panasonic would probably be the more useful of the two, but I'm worried that the Voigtlander might go out of production if I wait too long. As for how much I need it, that's another thing I'm unsure about. Is the Voigtlander that much different than the 20mm Panasonic?

I really appreciate the input.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I expect the Voigtlander to be around for a long time but it is in very short supply at the moment. If you want it, you will almost certainly have to put it on order and wait a month or two. Voigtlander tend to keep their designs in production for decades.

The two lenses in question are very different. Decide what you want to shoot and pick the lens that fits in best with that for the short-term.

As for "investment", I would expect the Vogtlander to hold up much better. It is built like a tank with all metal and glass construction and has no electronics. It will last a lifetime. In fact, it will outlast your lifetime unless you use it as a football.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
You will need to order it if you want to. If you are familiar at all with any Voigtlander lens, you know what you will get.

BTW, my local distributor did have a demo unit on the counter when I went to pick up mine at the beginning of November.

wyip

Mu-43 Regular
$1400? Wow. If you can wait, you can get the Voightlander from someone like Stephen at Cameraquest for about $900. Wait list is out to mid-February I believe, though... maybe longer than that.

D

dwrz

Why would someone pay so much for that lens? I could only understand that price if the shipment was limited forever...

CPWarner

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Cliff
Why would someone pay so much for that lens? I could only understand that price if the shipment was limited forever...
When I placed my deposit for a Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 in December with CameraQuest, I was not guaranteed to be on the February order. I would imagine the wait list is even longer now. It might be many months to get it. That said, I can't imagine paying $1400 to get it now. 55% is huge surcharge to get it now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom