1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Aug 24, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Noticed the Voigtlander Nokton Classic 40mm f/1.4 being sold used on another forum and wondered if it would be a nice lens to use on my EP2?

I don't doubt that it is a cracking lens but at £300 plus adding a Leica adaptor I wondered whether it was really worth it over either a Canon FD 50 f1.4 or even a Konica 40mm f1.7 lens which could both be had much much cheaper!

As I said very attracted to it as it looks a cracker but has anyone here used one or could compare to anything else?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I've looked at that lens a number of times, as well as the 50/1.5 for my first adapted lens. I kept coming back to the fact that the native lens lineup mostly overlaps now... lose a bit of speed (but maybe more contrast and sharpness) and gain auto focus. Native 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 look pretty great.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thats kind of my thinking, I'm probably going to buy the Oly 45mm, but I'd like a faster 50 (1.4) that I have, could get both the Canon FD 50 1.4 and Oly 45 for the price of the Voightlander!

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I don't doubt it'll be very good, but with the 45mm F1.8 on the way I think I'd rather have the AF for a bit less money TBH (even if it is made of horrible silver plastic!) :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I don't know about the Voigtlander, but both my Pen F 38 f1.8 and my OM 50 f1.4 are a bit soft wide open. The OM is fine by f2, the Pen by f2.8. So it may be that there's a trade off between extra speed and sharpness with the Voigtlander too.

No such compromise with the new 45: it's sharp wide open - at least based on Robin's blog.

That said, I love the feel and look of my existing lenses. It's hard to put a price on how the Voigtlander will affect you. :rolleyes: No help here...

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    When I was first looking at adapted lenses, I was finding these threads from a year ago or so, with such and such OM lens for $60 with awesome images adapted on m4/3. I kept finding these and then going to ebay where I would find nothing, or this lens now going for crazy money or with problems. Sometimes it pays to be an early adopter! :smile:

7. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've heard only good things about the little Voigtlander on MFT. One thing to note: it will not be as sharp as the m.ZD 45 wide-open. But, keep in mind what you'll use it for - many portrait photographers prefer the slightly soft 'glow' you get with ultra-fast apertures.

This is obviously up to the photographer, but clinical sharpness isn't always be be-all, end-all...

Pros over legacy 50mm lenses:
    - Size - much smaller than SLR 50mm lenses - very nicely matched to MFT
    - Length - slightly better portrait length (individual preference of course)
    - Build - the modern Voigtlanders are just gorgeously made
    - IQ - the examples I've seen have been a notch above the general pool of manual fast-50s.
    - Looks - a completely personal thing, but the Nokton 40mm looks great :smile:
    - It's new - which means its got warrenty and you don't have to worry about mould/dust/aperture oil etc...

Cons:
    - Cost (see last point above)

Pros over 45/f1.8:
    - Speed
    - Tactically - If you like manual controls...
    - Looks - a completely personal thing, but the Nokton 40mm looks great :smile:

Cons:
    - No AF
    - Probably not as sharp wide-open (or at f1.8)

I was seriously tossing up between the Nokton 40mm and mZD 45mm, buttttt..... The problem with fast lenses is you always want faster - f2 becomes f1.7 becomes f1.4 becomes 'dot-nought'. My go-to portrait/short-tele lens for the GH2 has been an Pentax-M 50/f1.4 - and I just want faster...

For the same price as a new 40mm/45mm I can get a mint Pentax K50/F1.2 - it should arrive next week :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Nice Nick cant wait to see some shots at 1.2. I have been interested in that lens for some time now.

Never the less, I just love my Pentax-M 50/1.4 SMC

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Me too, the M50mm is why I decided to get the K50/f1.2 (in a backwards sort of way).

If the IQ on the f1.2 is as good as the M, then I'll be a pretty happy lad :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Picked up one on this forum last month - one of my three favorite lenses (other two being 20mm panasonic and Nikon 55mm 3.5 Macro)

It just works - don't know how else to say it. Easy to use, small size - draws beautifully. I have 5 or 6 other 40mm to 55 lenses and this and the Nikon get 80% of the on camera time.

Several of the photos on the following link were shot with this lens, specifically "Lemonade", "At rest ...", the first "Untitled", and "... the pits ..." were all with this lens. The "Tools of the Trade" photos show this lens paired with my GF1 ....

500px / Stephen Geis

Will look to dig up other examples and post here

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Other examples of photos from this lens

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/c5pgXcOgcRUYBn0tVcAPiw?feat=embedwebsite">https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-JqaVIcK8NNU/Tj7SCIdJmPI/AAAAAAAAHOA/785okw8uLdk/s640/P1390828.JPG" height="428" width="640" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/Maine?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Maine</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/r3cuOJCe-2h-EmtLwyW_LA?feat=embedwebsite">[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QvftAdf1vOE/Tj7S11FGb6I/AAAAAAAAHOk/8sBYtYI2b3Y/s640/P1390906.JPG" height="428" width="640" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/Maine?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Maine</a></td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VjbCXL4Dh4PNuVbLA7gvIw?feat=embedwebsite">[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fOqmjJGw8lw/Tj7TFLlLzZI/AAAAAAAAHO8/zNIrZcwEVYw/s640/P1390923.JPG" height="640" width="428" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/StephenAGeis/Maine?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite">Maine</a></td></tr></table>

12. coastom

coastom New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2011
    I have used the Voigtlander 40/1.4 for almost a year now and I love it. Sharp with good contrast even wide open. I have a 3 lens kit, the panasonic 14/2.5, panasonic 40/1.7, and the Voigtlander 40/1.4 . The Voigtlander is solid as a rock and smooth as silk. The only thing is that it is manual focus and has no electrical contacts to transmit lens settings to the camera but if those items don't bother you I would highly recommend this lens. Great medium tele with good bokeh. Perfect for portraits and a great all around lens. Only problem now is that the new Olympus 45/1.8 is hitting the market and preliminary reviews say it is great. It's great to have so many options:eek:) That's one of the reasons I love micro four thirds.

13. coastom

coastom New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2011
    oops, I meant panasonic 20/1.7 in the kit

14. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, and Stephen those shots look amazing! I can tell its a lovely lens, I'll need to have a think but I think I'm going to pass on the Voightlander for now, I already have a Canon 50 f1.8 and would like to pickup an f1.4, been considering the Oly 45 which would give me AF... I hate having to decide what lenses to buy!

15. Stephen Geis

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks - and don't fret over passing up on it for now. I waited over 18 months before succumbing to the lure of this lens. It is a newer Voigtlander, so the lens will still be around and available when you finally do pull the trigger ...

16. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland

Yeah that's true, it does look lovely and would look cracking on my EP2 but I think for now I'd be cheaper giving maybe a Hexanon 40 a go!