VOIGTLANDER Nokton 40mm F1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Miles, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Miles

Miles Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2010
    Just bought it a few days ago along with a "mid-price" :43:-M adapter ...

Focus seems easy on the GF1 unless there is sun, but due to short DOF when used with aperture 1.4 it's not so easy since you have only a few cm when taking a close photo ...

Another Issue/feature is a bit annoying is the fact that the focus to infinite is not really where it should be I mean ring completely closed :frown:
    I do not know if it is because of the adapter or just normal behavior, but for Infinite focus I have to turn back +-2mm back ?!
    This is not nice to take a quick photo from something ...

But,even if I am not an expert at all in quality of lenses, I really like the result with this lens ...

Here how it looks (I've left the front cap because I like it so much :smile:)

2. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Appreciate the insight - I am considering this lens along with the 35mm f1.4.

I have a 12mm f5.6 Voigtlander and the Voigtlander to m43 adapter and don't have the infinity focus problem that you describe

3. Charles2

Charles2 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    Adapter is your infinity focus problem

The adapter is the issue. If it is too thin, the problem is what you report. If it is too thick, though, you cannot focus to infinity at all.

I bought two cheap adapters for Contax/Yashica bayonet mount to m4/3. One focuses right, but a Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.7 was loose on it, although it held a Yashica 28mm just fine. So I bought a second adapter, which holds the Zeiss lens tightly but is too thin like yours. I just live with it rather than try more adapters or get into shims and such.

I found this brief item helpful:
    Manual Focus Lenses :: View topic - how to check infinity focus