Showcase Voigtlander Nokton 25mm f/0.95

Dunkeld

Mu-43 Regular
Now, don't laugh!

So there I was in a park in Guangzhou snapping away with my new Voigtlander which I had owned for 24 hours. Suddenly, bliss! A young girl is having her picture taken with her dressed up in traditional dress. She's being photographed though by a woman who is hiring out these old clothing styles, then taking pictures to sell to the customers who are pictured all dolled up in the old fashioned way.

So lady photographer, with her flashy camera/phone is positioning the girl for snaps. The girl is quite happy for me to take photos. Not so the photographer, who is hustling and bustling in a way that makes it pretty obvious I'm not welcome.

Anyway I don't know what her camera phone pics were like. But I'm very happy with what I got. I wonder what the Chinese for "up your's sister is?"

E-P2. Voigtlander 25mm f/0.9

Attachments

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I'm so spoiled by AF these days that I don't know that I'd ever use a manual focus lens enough to justify the cost anymore, and I like a wider lens for almost all of my prime shooting. But I'm really impressed with this lens and almost tempted. I'm sort of glad its so prohibitively expensive! There are some really sharp looking photographs here. In Amin's shots of his wife, even the lint on her sweater was overwhelmingly clear and crisp in the full sized shots. Good heavens! And the bokeh is very nice as well. Not much downside other than cost.

-Ray

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
Yet another.
View attachment 153417
ISO400, Approx. f1. Processed in LR3.
Ray, up to using this lens I thought my 60 years would be forcing me into an AF world. Although I still really enjoy AF lenses and will continue to use them, the Nokton 25mm is surprisingly proving to me that my aging eyes can still handle a manual focus. Oh yeah, and I'm having a wicked good time too. :biggrin:
Weather still crappy outside so wandering around the house with the E-P2 and Nokton 25mm still my only option at the moment.
. . . Burkey

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Yet another.
View attachment 153463
Ray, up to using this lens I thought my 60 years would be forcing me into an AF world. Although I still really enjoy AF lenses and will continue to use them, the Nokton 25mm is surprisingly proving to me that my aging eyes can still handle a manual focus. Oh yeah, and I'm having a wicked good time too. :biggrin:
Weather still crappy outside so wandering around the house with the E-P2 and Nokton 25mm still my only option at the moment.
. . . Burkey
The subject isolation on this shot isn't quite good enough to keep me drooling over the lens. Now I have to drool over your guitar collection. Which is a good thing - I've had a lifetime of nice guitars, don't play much anymore, and it got my mind off the lens!

-Ray

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
Yet another.
View attachment 153744
. . . Burkey
Burkey,

I never managed to master any guitar, but the PRS and the Fender siblings in your photograph remind me of my bloody fingertips......

BTW: a Fender JazzB de Luxe from around 1970? is waiting for new fingers .....:thumbup:

Priannet

Mu-43 Rookie
The subject isolation on this shot isn't quite good enough to keep me drooling over the lens. Now I have to drool over your guitar collection. Which is a good thing - I've had a lifetime of nice guitars, don't play much anymore, and it got my mind off the lens!

-Ray

Given the size of the m4/3 sensor and the short distance to the background, I think the lens performed quite well here - I just ordered mine. Hopefully the local dealer will have the lens for me tomorrow :smile:

Priannet

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
A Multiple Reply

Thanks for the all comments on the photos and the lens. Interestingly, I haven't mastered posting on this forum yet. The images I've put up thus far don't look as sharp as I think they should when I compare them to the iMac screen or prints made through Lightroom. So, I have some work to do. It may be that the are posted on Zenfolio and linked to here. 'Not sure.
And da' guitars. . . Our son, like his older brother and my grandson too, are all very much into guitar playing and all fatherly/grandfather pride aside they are all good players.
The bass is a Fender Squirer and maybe not of the pedigree of the other too, the PRS and "real" Fender, but I enjoy playing it and supplying a couple of bass runs in the background of guys playing now and then.
And back to the lens - I shouldn't be shooting so much wide open or almost wide open. Even if the subject is super still, I still have a nasty habit of rocking in and out a bit and with almost no DoF, a spot on focus is tough at best.
Amin - your posts appear much sharper. Any processing for posting will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Regardless, thank for the comments.
. . . Burkey

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
A P/R shot I did this morning of one of our students. One of a couple of pictures for a forthcoming departmental admissions promo for the college where I teach. Since I do this stuff for free, (I'm tenured), I thought I'd give the Nokton a try. Very easy to focus with the soft light. Sample below.
E-PL1, Nokton25/.95. ISO400, Two Lowell Rifa Soft Lights - key and hair, Processed in LR3.2, CS4 for posting.
View attachment 153921
. . . Burkey

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Given the size of the m4/3 sensor and the short distance to the background, I think the lens performed quite well here - I just ordered mine. Hopefully the local dealer will have the lens for me tomorrow :smile:

Priannet
It was a joke expressing envy at his guitar collection - no comment intended regarding the lens at ALL! I'd love to have the lens and the guitars!

-Ray

Burkey

Mu-43 Regular
Guitars are a great distraction from photography, thank goodness. :smile:
I still like the Fender the best. Regardless, both of my sons leave me in the dust. (Insert fatherly pride here. 'Grandson is pretty good too.)
. . . Burkey

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
I just received mine today and love it, such a quality piece of equipment that i'm glad i took the plunge for.
first shots:
<iframe align="center" src="http://www.flickr.com/slideShow/index.gne?group_id=&user_id=50946580@N05&set_id=72157625525707023&text=" frameBorder="0" width="700" height="700" scrolling="no"></iframe><br/><small>Created with <a href="http://www.admarket.se" title="Admarket.se">Admarket's</a> <a href="http://flickrslidr.com" title="flickrSLiDR">flickrSLiDR</a>.</small>

RetroBoy

Mu-43 Regular
Nice Chrissy pressy Kosta!
(Nice slide show too.)

You're lucky - my Panny 20 arrived a few days ago and my wife snaffled it to put under the tree till Christmas.
How come you can play with your new toy but I cant???
(obviously not married yet...)

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
haha yes indeed I am not married yet, and also, I ordered my lens expecting it to be arriving Jan/Feb, but it may have been in the last stock at mainlinephoto and it came in yesterday! :)

put it this way - come christmas day you will have something to open! :) and i'm betting you are going to enjoy it thoroughly! great lens!

elshaneo

Mu-43 Regular
Here's a snapshot portrait of my cousin, it was shot wide open at f/0.95

Kosta

Mu-43 Veteran
a couple more:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50946580@N05/5284933297/" title="_C238847 by Kosta., on Flickr">View attachment 154691"500" height="375" alt="_C238847" /></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50946580@N05/5284935111/" title="_C238923 by Kosta., on Flickr">View attachment 154692"500" height="375" alt="_C238923" /></a>

p.s was shooting in raw on my e-pl1.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom