1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Voigtlander MFT 25mm f/0.95 - a slight update needed? step-less/clickless aperture ring?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by G1Reflector_949, Dec 27, 2013.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    This is probably a pretty late post regarding a lens which is not new at all, but I still wanted to comment and ask a question out there.. maybe someone will read this and comment on my question?

Since the newer f/0.95 MFT lenses from Voigtlander, such as the 17.5mm & 42.5mm, both have the new option/ability to turn a ring and make the aperture step-less/clickless, does anyone think Voigtlander will revisit and update the oldest 25mm lens to include the step-less/clickless ring option?

Though I don't believe the engineering involved to add such a feature would be extremely difficult, I kind of doubt it, but it would be cool if ALL 3 f/0.95 Nokton primes had the same cool feature.. then they'd truly all be part of a trinity set of great lenses from Voigtlander... different very useful focal lengths, but they all have the exact same great functionality.

... and at the same time, IF they update the 25mm, perhaps they might make it just a tad sharper... I've read that both the 17.5mm & 42.5mm are actually really quite sharp wide open and a bit better stopped down a bit, but I've noticed more mixed reviews regarding the 25mm... enough to suggest it isn't going to be quite as sharp as the newer 2 lenses. Just a thought on some possible improvements to a pretty great lens already IF they were to update it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The engineering (designing) may be quite minimal at best since the 17.5 & 42.5 were derivations of the 25mm; however. the tooling and manufacturing processes would need to be revised. That would involve quite a bit more.
    CNC machining of the various components would only entail a perfunctory programming change. At this point in the 25mm's mature life cycle, Cosina would likely NOT consider the revision since there does not appear to be a groundswell of demand for this feature and sales itself, although appearing steady for a niche item, wouldn't drive the necessary impetus to effect that change.
    If I were the Cosina CEO, I couldn't justify the likely-LOW Return On Investment ROI on the cost of the process change.

3. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Hi, about sharpness of CV 25mm. I've found my unit pretty sharp, also wide open, however DOF is quite thin and not 100% constant on the whole image area. However stopping one stop makes it already better. And two stops, almost perfect.

No scientific measures here, just the experience using this lens. I really like it.

4. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I'd still be inclined to pick one up some day to replace my Pany 25mm f1.4 for a fast 25mm prime.

However, I may get the CV 42.5mm first.. My 12-40mm f2.8 covers a lot of my wide to short tele range pretty well already, so a lens with focal length outside and above what I basically have covered might be more useful.

5. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This "revised" 25mm already exists, it's the SLR Magic 25mm/T0.95 Cine lens. Declicked aperture, creamier bokeh, and much more useable wide open, and cheaper to boot. I've been reading up on it.
    The only disadvantage is it doesn't look quite as sexy as the CV, but then, what else does? The reduced price tab may be consolation enough to you ;)

EPhotozine's review with samples here: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/slr-magic-25mm-t-0-95-hyperprime-cine-lens-review-22999

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Regarding sharpness; the CV 25mm is ridiculously sharp from f1.4-2 onwards (both from personal experience and online reviews). Wide open it has very different rendering but I much prefer it so the CV 17.5mm, although it's personal preference obviously...

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, it was inevitable given the appeal of all three lenses for videographers.